Brian Joubert should NOT win the Olympics with his current LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert should NOT win the Olympics with his current LP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I do like Brian's LP. It isn't amazing or anything but it plays to his strengths.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I've just watched his LP performance from TEB. I'm sorry, there is no artistic merit to his program at all. I am so sick of the judges consistently over-marking his PCS - for instance, when he lost to Jeff Buttle at the '08 Worlds, how was it that he received a superior PCS score to Jeff? And even with his disastrous execution in Paris this week, he got 72.00 in PCS. And yet I didn't see any transitions or intelligent choreography whatsoever. It's like every program he does is exactly the same with the same jumps and cheesy moves, and the music is just playing in the background.

With skaters like Chan, Kozuka, Lambiel returning to eligibles, etc., Joubert should not be an Olympic champion. They actually know how to skate. He does not. For him to deserve an OGM, I truly believe he should have three clean quads in his LP and beat the rest of the field with amazing technical content. Otherwise he is not up to snuff. Not Olympic worthy.

Well. Thank you for this... It will certainly save us all a lot of time and angst to know that we know Brian Joubert should not win the OGM because you don't like his program or style.... Where were you when I needed you in 1998, huh? When your absolute judgement on who is quality and who is just jumps could've been useful? The nerve. The unmittigated gall. Because you failed me in 1998, you don't get to say who deserves an OGM until we see the final skater strike their final pose at the final phase of their competition. So there. :sheesh:

As with Mao's LP, I am also disappointed in Brian's LP music and performance level. As I've said on FSU, I've personally seen no progression from him since the 2004 season. I think this season's Ancient Lands LP deserves a place right alongside his other forgettable LPs, like 1492, Lord of the Dance, and Matrix Reloaded. I don't think it's an Olympic calibre LP, and Brian is not giving me the impression that he loves and enjoys skating right now. He seems to be under so much pressure and he's showing it. Hopefully for him, he can overcome his difficulties and skate with ease again.

This is such a pet peeve of mine... why do fans say disappointed IN vs. the proper FOR. If Mao's programs aren't working or Brian's programs are not high quality be disappointed FOR them. We have no skin in this game - we're just fans. If we like something, great. If not, too bad. We've done nothing to justify being disappointed IN anyone or anything....:banging:

Jasper

Final Flight
Considering how disrespectful Joubert has been to his other competitors the past two years, I don't care if this thread title sounds mean or harsh.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Considering how disrespectful Joubert has been to his other competitors the past two years, I don't care if this thread title sounds mean or harsh.
The time has come to add to my ignore list. There's a world of difference between criticizing a skater and being a jerk, but you've managed to span that gap easily.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert should NOT win the Olympics with his current LP
Why shoudn't he? :laugh: It's still early in the season, Joubert' s got time to improve, till next year February. I'm not a fan, but if he skates lights out, he certainly should win the Olympics with his current LP. I mean, Plushenko did win with his, and we survived ;)

Besides, figure skating would be so boring without Joubear. Also there's gals who find him cute and sexy, good for the sport! :p

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is such a pet peeve of mine... why do fans say disappointed IN vs. the proper FOR. If Mao's programs aren't working or Brian's programs are not high quality be disappointed FOR them. We have no skin in this game - we're just fans. If we like something, great. If not, too bad. We've done nothing to justify being disappointed IN anyone or anything....:banging:

I never said I was disappointed in Brian personally. I respect any athlete who pushes himself/herself in this grueling sport that requires so much hard work, yet receives very little respect from the majority of people. I am disappointed in his music choice . . . I feel he could do so much better. I am disappointed in his level of performance because I know Brian can do so much better, as he's proven before, particularly in the 2006-2007 season. These are only my opinions, not to be taken too seriously or too personally. I am disappointed for Brian in the sense that he looks to be overridden with so much pressure and it appears it's taking his joy and love for this sport away. I really feel for him in that sense and I sincerely hope he can skate up to his potential again, and that goes for ALL the skaters. I want everyone to be at their very best . . . that's what makes for the best competition! :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m not a fan, but I thought this lp is an excellent choreography for Joubert. Very well planned to make him look like an artistic skater (the same as Tarasova/Morozov fooled the audiences and judges with Yagudin years ago). Looking forward to see this programme when all the jumps are successful. Good music!

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like Joubert, but

I hope the Olympic podium has Weir, Takahashi, and Lambiel, in any order.

Wicked

Final Flight
I like your podium, Kitt, but I'd love Nobu on there too.

This is definitely Brian's most artistic program and I think it fits him. It shows him off to advantage. Watching him at TEB, I thought he looked stressed out of his mind and I felt sorry for him. I hope he can chill out a bit.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I like your podium, Kitt, but I'd love Nobu on there too.

This is definitely Brian's most artistic program and I think it fits him. It shows him off to advantage. Watching him at TEB, I thought he looked stressed out of his mind and I felt sorry for him. I hope he can chill out a bit.

I thought Joubert's program shows potential and if skated cleanly will land him on the podium.

But I have to wonder - if he was "stressed out of his mind" at a GP event how will he come close to coping with Olympic pressure?

Germanice

On the Ice
Well, I really wonder ... Heaven & Hell must meat each other fooling everyone (including the judges!) to make poor amateur Lysacek, of all!!!, look like an "artist" ... or whatever ... :rofl: :banging: :banging:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I hope the Olympic podium has Weir, Takahashi, and Lambiel, in any order.

This would be a very good podium.

It's a very deep field, though. There are a dozen guys who deserve to be on the podium if they skate their best. In addition to your picks we have:

Abbott
Ponsero
Kozuka
Oda
Joubert
Plushenko
Chan
Verner
Contesti

Imagine if Buttle was still competing. :eek:

Our most recent World Champion is notably missing from the list. If every man in the World skated their best (I'm assuming this means no Quad for Lysacek since he doesn't seem to have the jump anymore), he wouldn't even crack the top 12 for me.

i love to skate

Medalist
Ohhh please don't make this a thread about Joubert vs Chan and who said the worst/most disrespectul/most arrogant thing. Both of these comments happened a long time ago and have nothing to do with the current season.

Wicked

Final Flight
But I have to wonder - if he was "stressed out of his mind" at a GP event how will he come close to coping with Olympic pressure?

Brian has said that he gets really nervous competing in France so I'm hoping that's what it was.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This would be a very good podium.

It's a very deep field, though. There are a dozen guys who deserve to be on the podium if they skate their best. In addition to your picks we have:

Abbott
Ponsero
Kozuka
Oda
Joubert
Plushenko
Chan
Verner
Contesti

Imagine if Buttle was still competing. :eek:

Our most recent World Champion is notably missing from the list. If every man in the World skated their best (I'm assuming this means no Quad for Lysacek since he doesn't seem to have the jump anymore), he wouldn't even crack the top 12 for me.

What a difference between your opinion and the reality of what happened at Worlds last season.

And which Galaxy do you come from where every top skater skates clean at the Olympics. Remember Torino? Remember Worlds - pick your choice of years) :yes:

Poor, talentless Evan must have disappointed so many of you by simply having the cojones to perform under pressure - and on his home ice to boot.

How silly to hear that Joubert can't take the pressure of skating in Paris at a GP event and then all this talk about him winning the OGM. Get a grip Jouby - you have been doing this for a long, long time and you are running out of excuses already, :p ( I hope that pesky Chan didn't jinx the rink bully by putting him in his place ;))

I happen to like Joubert, but like many big jumpers he lives and dies with the quad.
I agree the men's field is packed and hard to predict. I am not particularly a fan of Evan's skating but I doubt if any of the skaters out there will outwork him and if he skates two clean programs like he did at Worlds I suspect he will be a top 5 finisher or better.

If not, he can retire from competitive skating with something many on that list of yours never had - a WC.

Good luck to all the skaters this season and welcome back Plushy. Hope he skates well this weekend. Someone let him know the new kid landing all the big jumps spells his name M.R.O.Z.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Is it my ever-growing maturity or that I'm not overly invested in ANY skater for the first time I can remember or has the overall tone of GS shifted to one of hostility and anger whenever opposing fans square off?

i love to skate

Medalist
Is it my ever-growing maturity or that I'm not overly invested in ANY skater for the first time I can remember or has the overall tone of GS shifted to one of hostility and anger whenever opposing fans square off?

I wouldn't say it's the overall tone but a couple threads have escalated forsure. I think the majority of this surrounds debates between a couple skaters. I think people are overly tense for this Olympic year and that we all need to take a deep breath :yes: