2009 Rostelecom Cup of Russia Preview | Golden Skate

2009 Rostelecom Cup of Russia Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating continues this week in Moscow, Russia with the Rostelecom Cup. More...

oleada

Record Breaker
Little is known about the progress of the 2007 Junior World silver medalists, but an invitation to this event speaks volumes about their federation's confidence in them as a team. As such, Bazarova and Larionov are the dark horses in this event, and could surprise everyone with a medal winning performance in their home country.

This is not quite true. They competed in the Russia Cup in Perm and Samara and won both events in dominating fashion. You can see their skates from the Russia Cup in Perm on YT. Their FS is particularly impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdelTyw7MY

They scored 57.14 in the SP, 113.36 in the LP and 170.50 overall. They did 3FTh, 3LoTh, 2A+2A, 3Twist and a 3T (in both programs, but Vera had a hand down in the LP and a messy landing in the SP). If they skate like they did in Perm, I agree that they can certainly contend for a medal. Their time off has especially improved him, now he looks elegant enough to match her. They have certainly proven themselves worthy of the assignment.

Last edited:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I am most excited to see Plushenko back in the competition.
Good luck to all the skaters!

Wow, JR has Czisny behind Wagner, Leonova, McCorkel and Sebestyen.

I hope he is wrong.

I think Kozuka will beat Plushenko and Weir will finish ahead of Mroz.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just as Rippon pleasantly surprised us making the podium at TEB, I look for Mroz to do the same in Russia. USA needs to look to the future and in men's skating that means Rippon and Mroz.

On the other hand I think Alissa is overdue for a good skate and will win a medal next weekend. She has the talent and if she can keep it together she can make the podium.

Plushy has looked very rough to me so far and like Joubert, if he doesn't land most of his jumps he may find himself off the podium. But I wouldn't be surprised in he skates well considering his abilty to rise to the occassion at competitions.

Go Alissa, Go Brandon. And let's hope Johnny is happy with his costume. :p

gold12345

Medalist
Wow, JR has Czisny behind Wagner, Leonova, McCorkel and Sebestyen.

Ouch. That's harsh. I think she'll at least be able to beat those last two skaters! She's woefully inconsistent, but still capable of beating people even with several mistakes.

This is not quite true. They competed in the Russia Cup in Perm and Samara and won both events in dominating fashion. You can see their skates from the Russia Cup in Perm on YT. Their FS is particularly impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdelTyw7MY

Thanks for the link to the video, I had no idea this competition existed. I guess most of the Russian notables skipped this event? I'm impressed by the elements Bazarova and Larionov are attempting considering all the time they've been out of competition. They only seem to have problems with 2 of the major elements. I think their skating is a bit dull and uninspired and they lack connection to each other and the music, but they are still quite young and maybe could develop that later on. I think I like them better than Iliushechkina/Maisuradze. On another note, I want to give her a hamburger. She looks much taller than I remember her, but wow, she is a toothpick.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Russian Cups are a series of figure skating competitions. There's usually 4 over the fall season and the final in the spring. Usually the big name skaters either don't do them or just do one event. It's a good launching pad for junior skaters - for example, Elena Ilinkyh/Nikita Katsalapov won the Russia Cup Final in Junior Dance last year, and this year they won two JGP events; Adelina Sotnikova won the event in Moscow last year, and then won Senior and Junior Nationals. It's a great place to discover new talents; and it's a good place for higher profile skaters to receive feedback. Also, IIRC, you qualify for Nationals if you place well enough (I might be totally wrong on this one - a Russian poster might correct me as my Russian is pretty darn poor :eek:).

B/L didn't have much competiton at either event, but I imagine they wanted to compete as much as they could before Rostelecom Cup.

I love both I/M and B/L, but B/L just a bit more. I love, love, love the second lift - it's gorgeous and goes along with the music perfectly. I think that was a really good performance for them considering they haven't competed in a long time. It really builds throughout the performance.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I read this article ealier, and thus far this Elvin Walker (btw I truly do enjoy his articles & analyses) has only got one prediction right, that of the Ladies at TEB. The other three disciplines he was totally off.

So we shall see how close he comes to his predictions at COR. Will he once again predict the exact outcome of the Ladies? or will he strike out in all the disciplines? Only time will tell...;)

Where is that crystal ball.:party2:

Ximena

Final Flight
Plushy has looked very rough to me so far and like Joubert, if he doesn't land most of his jumps he may find himself off the podium. But I wouldn't be surprised in he skates well considering his abilty to rise to the occassion at competitions.

Well there is that, if there is something Evgeni can do, is skate well when it counts.

Johnny's free skate "Fallen Angels" is from the performance he did with Denis and Melissa?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is not quite true. They competed in the Russia Cup in Perm and Samara and won both events in dominating fashion.

The problem is that the Russia Cup events are not international events and the rest of the world get's very little info from these :) I believe what JR was trying to say was that little is known on the "international" progress of this team in terms of where they stand against the rest of the competitors.

russell30

Final Flight
Thanks for the preview, In the ladies Miki Ando's program looks awesome and Nikolai seems to have prepared her well just like he did with Shizuka in 2005/06. The favourite for me, but watch out for Alena Leonova she has so much confidence at the moment and I think will get the silver, Asada (well, either up and down at the moment and like TEB somewhere in between). I wouldn't be surprised if she dumps the LP after the grand prize, she should go with something more lyrical!!. Asada will re-group in time for the grand prix final and Nationals. Alissa Czisny is the dark horse, she is the best of the americans and her mask of zorro SP is already the package to score 60+.

Ladies picks:
1) Ando
2) Leonova
3) Asada
4) Czisny

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sadly, Alissa Czisny is not the dark horse, but the Trojan horse of US Figure Skating.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I think Rublev/Shefer will be considerably higher than the GS prediction. They were marked way too low in the CD at TEB last week; it was rather a scandal in Russian quarters, as judges placed them behind Gorshkova/Butikov. I think they will be 2nd or 3rd here.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
They were marked way too low in the CD at TEB last week; it was rather a scandal in Russian quarters, as judges placed them behind Gorshkova/Butikov.

A scandal? Really? When they still kicked the *censored* of everyone, G&B included, below Samuelson and Bates, in the OD and FD, and beat the last in both segments too?(Which would be an indication in itself that they could do very well here indeed.)

nylynnr

On the Ice
A scandal? Really? When they still kicked the *censored* of everyone, G&B included, below Samuelson and Bates, in the OD and FD, and beat the last in both segments too?(Which would be an indication in itself that they could do very well here indeed.)

Perhaps I wasn't clear. There was discontent in some quarters with their CD (Golden Waltz) marks, that ranked them below Samuelson and Bates -- who did not have a glorious waltz, for reasons mentioned in earlier threads -- and G & B.

Basically, it was the old controversy about how skaters are ranked; those who perform CDs in the first group, some coaches believe, are at a disadvantage to those who perform CDs in the second. G & B, by virtue of junior results, skated in the second group, while Rubleva and Shefer were in the first. And just as an observer, I did think R & S were too low in the CD as well.

I too believe they will finish well at Rostelecom, in that we are in agreement.

ae9177

On the Ice
Another job well done! :clap:

The skaters I wanna see most in this competition: Pang/Tong, Plushy, Amodio, Ando and Leonova.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sadly, Alissa Czisny is not the dark horse, but the Trojan horse of US Figure Skating.

:chorus::chorus::chorus::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Actually I can't understand why everyone is so high on Leonova. She can jump but as of last year had juniorish presentation. She certainly is not going to beat Mao.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Actually I can't understand why everyone is so high on Leonova. She can jump but as of last year had juniorish presentation. She certainly is not going to beat Mao.

Actually, hardly anyone has Leonova above Asada....IMO, Asada would have to skate like Kostner did in her Worlds 09 LP for that to happen.

But I don't think it's inconceivable that Leonova's going to make the podium by placing above the likes of Czisny and Wagner...Czisny has superior presentation, but Leonova is less likely to bomb and more likely to land more than 3 triples in her LP. And Leonova has beaten both Czisny and Wagner last season, anyways.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Actually, hardly anyone has Leonova above Asada....IMO, Asada would have to skate like Kostner did in her Worlds 09 LP for that to happen.

But I don't think it's inconceivable that Leonova's going to make the podium by placing above the likes of Czisny and Wagner...Czisny has superior presentation, but Leonova is less likely to bomb and more likely to land more than 3 triples in her LP. And Leonova has beaten both Czisny and Wagner last season, anyways.

... which is why I feel that USFS should sent Tiger Woods to CoR instead.