Pre-competition info | Golden Skate

Pre-competition info

Ximena

Final Flight
Well I don't know if we are going to know about the rest before competition time, but Johnny has been Twitting recently.

If his last Tweet entry has the time right, he is practicing as we speak since last one said:

Off to practice. I can't believe I'm competing this week, it came so fast! The gang is coming to Moscow tomorrow, happy times. :)
about 1 hour ago from web​

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for this, Ximena, I'm getting excited once again, and any little tidbit adds to my excitement!:love:

Ximena

Final Flight
Well again, most info comes from Johnny Twitter

Getting colder! 2 practices at Olympiskiy then moving to the official hotel to see the "haus." Mama, Diane, Cindy, Tara, Jamie and David!
about 5 hours ago from web

And apparently he was in the same building with Safin.

oleada

Record Breaker
Seeing tennis players in the stands at CoR would make my year (my worlds colliding!). Alisa Kleybanova is an admitted Plushy uber. I'm half expecting her to show up with a banner. :laugh:

None of the figure skating men can compare with Marat :love:

jcoates

Medalist
I'm a huge tennis fan, so seeing both skaters and tennis players in Moscow at the same time (thanks to the schedule change) is wonderful.

This reminds me of when Stefan Edberg showed up at Worlds in Gothenberg with his kids. I had not seen him on camera in years. It was such pleasant surprise. Hopefully competitors in both event will take some free time to check out the other sport.

Ximena

Final Flight
No new tweets from Johnny but Mishin was a the press conference in Moscow, so I imagine Plushenko is already there

http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20091020/189784315.html . Just Mishin's quotes.

"We are not getting ready for a medal, we are getting ready to fight for a medal. There's still many issues to solve, all Evgeni's achievements are the result of his persistence and dedication".

"He's lost 9 to 9.5 kg. He's not only working with dedication on the ice, he is focus on a personal level, he is charged into battle. You can't drag someone to the top of the Olympics, he must climb there by himself. That is the state Evgeni is right now."

Plushenko's coach stated that his student, the Grand Prix held in Moscow on October 23-25, is "an important milestone, but it is not the tournament, which it should be judged whether he is ready or not." "This is just one of the stages of preparation for the Olympics", - said Mishin.

ae9177

On the Ice
"We are not getting ready for a medal, we are getting ready to fight for a medal. There's still many issues to solve, all Evgeni's achievements are the result of his persistence and dedication".

"He's lost 9 to 9.5 kg. He's not only working with dedication on the ice, he is focus on a personal level, he is charged into battle. You can't drag someone to the top of the Olympics, he must climb there by himself. That is the state Evgeni is right now."

He lost 20lb? This guy is so determined! He's taking this comeback very seriously. I've never been a big fan of Plushy, but I do have a lot of respect to him. :rock:

Ximena

Final Flight
Well Plush lost the 10 kilos in a long long time, yes, I mean at least to me, regardless to what happens at RC, he has to be proud of himself, because he has worked a lot to get back in shape, and he is training very much.

Last tweet of Johnny

The "Dom" has arrived. Looking forward to tomorrow. Going to bed way too late, but it's okay, I can't sleep. New hotel, new bed etc...
about 1 hour ago from web

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m proud of Plushy for all that- whatever he brings in competitions:p
I love Johnny's messages, looking forward to seeing him as much I m excited to see evgeni competing! And amodio and kozuka:love:I will cheer for Kvdp also because he is belgian:biggrin:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks for providing the quotes from Mishin, Ximena (& Johnny as well)!:thumbsup:

What he said is exactly the way I feel in regards to preparation for the Olympics. It reminds me of what Sasha Cohen said recently about the turtle & the hare.;)

Here's the link for those that love fables, stories, et al:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tortoise_and_the_Hare

And here's another link to the COR schedule (need to scroll to the very bottom):

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1492

I have a meeting at 10AM that I cannot get out of, and unless I stay up all night I won't be able to watch any of the skating, so it looks like I might have to pull an all-nighter on *both* Thursday & Friday!:eek: The good thing is that I own my own business, so I have the luxury to set my own hours. And for me personally Evgeni Plushenko is worth it; he's given me so many wonderful moments & memories in skating, so the least I can do in return is to be there to cheer him on!!!!!!!!:love::clap:

The following is the schedule for those in the USA (PST):

FRIDAY, OCT. 23RD

CD -- 12:30AM
Men's SP -- 2:45AM
Pairs SP -- 4:35AM
Ladies SP -- 6:00AM
OD -- 7:50AM

SATURDAY, OCT. 24TH

Men's FS -- 1:45AM
Pairs FS -- 4:00AM
FD -- 5:40AM
Ladies FS -- 7:40AM

:party:GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE COMPETITORS!!!!!!!:party2:

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
Can someone calculate the competition times for Rostelecom Cup to Western European GMT + 1 times (Brussels)? I'm really horrible at calculating such things and I can only find American times (and the time zones theire confuse me endlessly) and not the Russian ones. Thanks so much! I'm quite anxious to miss the Ladies SP because I have class... But maybe I'm lucky...

seniorita

Record Breaker
this is russia's local time schedule, time in brussels is 2 hours before, I made for you the first 3:p
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1492
October 23, Friday, 2009
13:30 Compulsory Dance (11.30 Brussels time)
15:45 Men, Short Program (13.45 Brussels time )
17:35 Pairs, Short Program (15.35 Brussels time etc)
19:00 Ladies, Short Program
20:50 Original Dance

October 24, Saturday, 2009
14:45 Men, Free Skating
17:00 Pairs, Free Skating
18:40 Free Dance
20:40 Ladies, Free Skating

October 25, Sunday, 2009
16:30 Exhibition

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
A little information about RC and a short interview with Alena Leonova.

(About SP in Finlandia trophée)
Soon after I began skating and started to gain speed for the combination, I stumbled all of a sudden. I was flung to the board, bumped into it and struck my knee badly against the ice. When I got up I realized that I didn’t have enough speed to do both jumps. After that everything I did was automatic. It was only when I watched the video back in St. Petersburg, that I understood that I had switched elements, adding the toe loop to the lutz, and thus done the combination! (laughs)
:laugh:

Ximena

Final Flight
New Tweet of Johnny

Thank you Bosco Sport for treating me and my family so well!
about 2 hours ago from web

Hmm, I wonder if they are dressing Johnny and their family with all the Russian gear. The Russian team sportwear is quite cool actually.

http://www.infox.ru/sport/winter/2009/10/20/figurnoye_kataniye__.phtml
Only new thing is that they state Plushenko will do the quad on the SP (as he has been doing) and two on the FS (he has been trying it but so far no luck on the second one).

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol about the quote from Leonova.:laugh: Gives me a little insight into the mind of an athlete/skater, interesting. :)

And good to hear more info. about Evgeni (& Johnny).

~tapdancer

On the Ice
The following is the schedule for those in the USA (PST):

FRIDAY, OCT. 23RD

CD -- 12:30AM
Men's SP -- 2:45AM
Pairs SP -- 4:35AM
Ladies SP -- 6:00AM
OD -- 7:50AM

SATURDAY, OCT. 24TH

Men's FS -- 1:45AM
Pairs FS -- 4:00AM
FD -- 5:40AM
Ladies FS -- 7:40AM
Are you sure these times are correct? Icenetwork has the times for Eastern standard time and I don't think PST is 5 hrs behind EST.

Here's icenetwork streaming times...
Friday, Oct. 23
5:30 a.m. : Compulsory Dance
7:45 a.m. : Men's Short Program
9:35 a.m. : Pairs Short Program
11:00 a.m. : Ladies Short Program
12:50 p.m. : Original Dance

Saturday, Oct. 24
6:45 a.m. : Men's free skate
9:00 a.m. : Pairs Free Skate
10:40 a.m. : Free Dance
12:40 p.m. : Ladies Free Skate