Ladies SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
F-I-R-E TATIANA TARASOVA!

Ever since Mao's been with her it's been nothing but failure, one after another after another.

If there's a petition going around to fire TAT, I'll be the first one to sign.

That's it, I've had enough!

Does anybody have the email address to the JSF?

here is an e-mail address to JSF
[email protected]
please send an e-mail about what you thought on Mao to JSF.:bow:
for example she should hire jump coach or not try 3a more than once in competetion programs and so on.
her sp today remained me of Miki 4 years ago...i don't want to see like Miki's poor olimpic anymore:think:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the more appropriate metric here would be to calculate the expected outcome (i.e. the score she gets) versus that of a more safer alternative, and then applying some sort of risk metric to assess the overall merit of the three-3A plan.

You're absolutely right, if you really want to mathematically figure out the best strategy for the situation. But I was just doing it the quick, easy way to illustrate a point. There are tons of other X-factors and assumptions (that aren't true in reality) that have to be made.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I don't think the problem with Mao is the coach. I think Mao is so bound and determined to do three triple axels that she's ignoring everything else.

Maybe the only way to get Mao to abandon the crazy plan with 3As is to unfortunately lose the competition badly.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
You're absolutely right, if you really want to mathematically figure out the best strategy for the situation. But I was just doing it the quick, easy way to illustrate a point.

Totally. I would have also done it your quick way, given that my boss's desk is like 5 yards from mine, had you not gotten to it!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rofl:

Actually, quite the contrary, I read on a translation of a Japanese article that TAT had been trying to persuade Mao to drop at least one of the 3As and that it was at Mao's insistence that the long program contained two.

I believe that. Mao has an unfortunate obsession with the 3Axel jump. She has many times in press conferences referred to it as her "weapon." Ironically, it's the weapon that's shooting her in the foot everytime.

Nadine

Record Breaker
It's not about a GPF or a podium finish.

It's all about the skate. It's about how she skates. Not a medal.

And I'm personally tired of hearing about UR calls, wrong edge calls, et al.

Mao had her two best FS ever at 2007 Worlds & 2008 4CC with UR 3/3 combos. & a wrong edge lutz. Now is not the time to be fiddling around changing her technique which she has always had.

Just like people like to gripe about Caroline Zhang (rightfully so; after the Olympics she can work on her technique), but what she has now is what is placing her above ALL the American girls, even Rachael Flatt! She outskated her at 2009 WTT.

Ditto with Mao (to a lesser extent). I say Mao should bring back her old 3/3 combos. & triple lutz, et al. Use the technique she's comfortable with. Now is not the time to change it. It has won her competitions in the past & it can do so again.

Wait until next summer to work on perfecting her technique.

JMHO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Totally. I would have also done it your quick way, given that my boss's desk is like 5 yards from mine, had you not gotten to it!

And the most important point: the desired outcome might differ by event as well! In other words, while 60 points would put you in a comfortable leading position at COR, at TEB (and I'm guessing the Olys will be the same way) 60 points would put you in a massive hole behind the leader!

So therefore, there is no one "optimal strategy"- it would have to be re-calculated for every event based on competition and strength of jumps.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
And the most important point: the desired outcome might differ by event as well! In other words, while 60 points would put you in a comfortable leading position at COR, at TEB (and I'm guessing the Olys will be the same way) 60 points would put you in a massive hole behind the leader!

So true. This FS competition will be much more exciting for me. No clear winner for sure after what unfolded today in the SP competition.

Wishing all the ladies good luck tomorrow.

bmelanie

On the Ice
It's not about a GPF or a podium finish.

It's all about the skate. It's about how she skates. Not a medal.

And I'm personally tired of hearing about UR calls, wrong edge calls, et al.

Mao had her two best FS ever at 2007 Worlds & 2008 4CC with UR 3/3 combos. & a wrong edge lutz. Now is not the time to be fiddling around changing her technique which she has always had.

I agree in that it's not the time to change her technique - it's too late for that. If only Mao had spent the last couple of seasons correcting her edges and honing her best skills, a la Miki, albeit we may not have had a 2008 Worlds champ or a 2008 GPF champ but right now we would have seen a much more confident skater not obsessing over whether or not she can land her jumps (which even if they were successful would still not necessarily land her in first place). I feel like avoiding the lutz and going all in for the 3As may also have been the reason for her split with Arutunian (he tried to fix her flutz) - just not the right choice, as we can clearly see right now. I would much rather see Mao skate clean, well-choreographed, solid programs than see her skate 3A after 3A.
I'm also afriad that it may be too late for her even to return to her 3/3 - she hasn't been doing her triple combo in a while, just her axel combos, and I expect the axel is what she's been focusing on all summer :(

gourry

Final Flight
Maybe the only way to get Mao to abandon the crazy plan with 3As is to unfortunately lose the competition badly.

When Mao finished off podium last Worlds, THAT was her chance. But what happened? Alas! They held WTT and reinforced her obsession about 3A with 200 points!

Indeed, she got highes PCS here. It's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Just came back from lunch and looked at the women....Julia in first! :eek: I have to say I was not really expecting that. And she got a 1 point deduction to boot! The top three are pretty close...actually the top 5 are relatively close.

Mao...what the heck is going on???? Seriously.....it's almost like a Kostner meltdown.

It's going to be an interesting final!!

raress

On the Ice
Mao had bad luck like Carolina k, she was last in the last group and both have 51 point score this is strange....:cool::frown2::think:

jovani2293

On the Ice
This is now Miki's to win. Just consider that this short is 4 days old. Her long program is probably much better trained.

i agree. her triple-triple was going to happen but she had too much of a lean on the triple loop. If she would have not had that terrible lean, she would have had at least a 65.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mao cannot find a way to do a good short. Don't blame everything on the triple axel attempt, even when she did not try it last year and the year before she almost always made a mistake in the short.
I am worried that she is putting a ton of pressure on herself with the triple axles because she knows that the only way she can win is by hitting all three of them. Honestly, I would not worry about messing up in the GP as long as she can do it by February, but the quetsion is can she? She herself is asking that question. A short program like that will prevent her from getting any medal at the Games.

bekalc

Record Breaker
According to some of her fans, the reason there is so much emphasis on the 3A is because it's her signature jump against Yuna's 3-3s. Seriously, delivering clean performances should be her focus not the 3A.

Yes but the difference here is that Yu-na is rock solid with her 3/3s, and Mao doesn't have anywhere near the same consistency with her 3axels. I think that Kim gets a raw deal when it comes to her technical merit a lot. People talk about how she doesn't take risks. And well I guess her layout isn't as "sexy" as 3axels. But seriously, the fact that Kim can hit 3/3s so consistently is frankly amazing, and probably scares the crap out of her competitors.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Miki will be fine. There are not many skaters that can crack 110+ FS score. Only Ashley, Alizza and Aleona. For Mao, even if she take out her 3A, she can still climb to the podium. All she need is a silver to get in GPF.
Cant Mao Asada get a bronze and still get in.

janetfan

Match Penalty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KbOXVA7RQ

51 is too high for her performance...

I hope I never have to watch that program again. There is something so wrong about it, from the ugly layback position, to the lack of tempo change in the music and the generally coarse and primitive feeling that seems so out of character with Mao's personality.

For the moment the great rivalry is no more but I hope it will return or the Ladies Olympic event this year will be an even bigger snoozefest than what we saw at the Torino men's competition.