Ladies SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

Nadine

Record Breaker
Please, they shouldn't be holding Mao up with high PCS, better to teach her & her team a lesson & give her the scores she deserves.

Like I said before, Mao's mom is the one that's in love with TAT, she always wanted her daughter to be her pupil. So they dropped the coach that brought her success to go with TAT. :(

Mao's gotta take charge, stop being so meek & timid, speak up for herself.

I just have a feeling TAT's the one that insisted on two triple axels, et al.

I'm out of here, sleep deprived, not feeling good, didn't expect Mao to lead but didn't expect her to be in last place either (but maybe I did, maybe I did).

Now I'm just waiting to see what the JSF does...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm anything but an Asada fan but I have to say it is something to watch her go from Yuna Kim's biggest rival to a nearly second-rate skater in such a short time. Even though I'm rooting for other skaters over her, if there's a way I could suggest to help her out, so be it. After all Yuna needs some COMPETITION.

Then again, there's still the FS. If she tries only 1 3A and tries 2 3-3 combinations, she can still win this one easily.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Can we please see how Mao does tomorrow before writing her - and Tarasova - off? :unsure:

Also, for everyone worrying about the GPF, considering the minuscule gap between the top ladies, I wouldn't worry too much. All Asada likely needs is a podium finish.

If Mao's goal is to make the GPF I think she can pull this off tomorrow (unless the pressure and disappointment cause a total collapse).

But I think she had something much bigger in mind this season than making the GPF. I hope she can regroup, and comeback strong. She is such a marvelous skater but like others have said, this is painful seeing her struggle.

Marie_S

Rinkside
Wow, I never expected this.

Mao really needs to do something now. Many people say that she should ditch Tarasova, but would that be enough?
TAT or no TAT, Mao really needs to fix her jumps before it gets too late. If she can land a clean, fully rotated 3-3 (of course using the right edge), who would care about the damn 3A anymore?

I am going to the GPF in Japan and I WANT to see you there, Mao!

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Does Mao's 3axel issues have to do with the fact that she is slanted in the air? I was sure that when she usually jumps, she is straight in the air.

She should really focus on one 3axel in the long. Three is too demanding on her body and it's affecting her mentally. In addition to a new coach she should hire a sports psychologist.

bmelanie

On the Ice
:rofl:
Like I said before, Mao's mom is the one that's in love with TAT, she always wanted her daughter to be her pupil. So they dropped the coach that brought her success to go with TAT. :(

Mao's gotta take charge, stop being so meek & timid, speak up for herself.

I just have a feeling TAT's the one that insisted on two triple axels, et al.

Actually, quite the contrary, I read on a translation of a Japanese article that TAT had been trying to persuade Mao to drop at least one of the 3As and that it was at Mao's insistence that the long program contained two.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Can we please see how Mao does tomorrow before writing her - and Tarasova - off? :unsure:

Also, for everyone worrying about the GPF, considering the minuscule gap between the top ladies, I wouldn't worry too much. All Asada likely needs is a podium finish.

I don't think we're (for the most part, at least) writing Mao off. Tarasova's strategies, on the other hand, seem to be having detrimental effects on Mao's mental security. Given Mao's performance at TEB, I think the right thing for a coach to do was to get out 2 clean programs this time around to make Mao regain her confidence.

Concerning making the GPF, while Asada could theoretically qualify with a bronze here, remember that, last year, Fumie got a silver and bronze but didn't make the GPF for the tie breaker (and in 2006, neither of the silver-bronze skaters, Kimmie and Yukari qualified!). Given that the JSF is automatically sending the top finisher at the GPF to the Olympics (the other spots going to the top finisher at Nationals, and another skater based on holistic merit), I think it would have been in Mao's best interests for TAT to have gone the safe route to secure a spot at the GPF.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Does Mao's 3axel issues have to do with the fact that she is slanted in the air? I was sure that when she usually jumps, she is straight in the air.

She should really focus on one 3axel in the long. Three is too demanding on her body and it's affecting her mentally. In addition to a new coach she should hire a sports psychologist.

But is the issue her COACH, or is it the fact that she is putting so much emphasis on the 3A that it's draining her and taking her out of the running?

She might be able to keep her current coach and just change the SP, eliminate the 3A in it, try only 1 3A (or none at all) in the FS and she'll be fine.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is "granny" Julia Sebestyen's nickname in Hungary, or just here at GS?
She's only 28 years old, and we even had an older skater in the competition (the Uzbek girl). :biggrin:
I think it's from this one season when she had a very unfortunate haircut. :p

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by R.D.
Normally I applaud risk-taking, but in Asada's case I really do think she is better off forgetting about the 3A - at least in the short, and attempting no more than 1 in the FS.

The thing is risk taking is fine. But if your going to do an element you should be at least consistent with the element. People were saying that Mao was 50/50 with her 3axel in practice. That's not a great record at all. It's probably worth it to attempt it once, but three times? No.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
All Mao needs to do in the FS is: 2A, 2A+2T, 3F+2Lo, 3Lo, 3F+2Lo+2Lo or (3F+3Lo), 3S, 2A and she can easily score 115+ with her PCS.

But knowing Mao, she will try the 2 3A again. =( Will have to see how it plays out.

SusieH

On the Ice

I agree. I think eveyrone should calm down, wish Mao best of luck, send her tons of good karma and positive energies, and patiently wait for tomorrow to arrive :) At least I would do that.

That said, I really begin to doubt if TAT is a good match for Mao...

Last edited:

koongpa

Rinkside
I thought the whole ladies competition was just.. painful to watch. I have to admit Alena was the only one who seemed to be enjoying herself out on the ice. Maybe it's the camera work, I'm not sure, but I didn't really enjoy watching this ladies SP in general. I could see how the competition is building up in terms of scores, but I don't know, none of the programs I watched today were exciting, or impressive at least. Very disappointing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The thing is risk taking is fine. But if your going to do an element you should be at least consistent with the element. People were saying that Mao was 50/50 with her 3axel in practice. That's not a great record at all. It's probably worth it to attempt it once, but three times? No.

So (a little stats here) assuming a 50% success rate, and that each jump attempt is independent of the other, her chances of landing all three are .5*.5*.5= .125 = 12.5%. In other words, it is 1- .125 = 87.5% that she will botch AT LEAST one of them. Not very good odds if you ask me.

Tesla

Final Flight
I don't think the problem with Mao is the coach. I think Mao is so bound and determined to do three triple axels that she's ignoring everything else.

Mikoto

Rinkside
If Mao will keep skating like this, I won't be suprised even if she'd be defeated by three of Miki, Yukari, Akiko, Fumie.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
But is the issue her COACH, or is it the fact that she is putting so much emphasis on the 3A that it's draining her and taking her out of the running?

She might be able to keep her current coach and just change the SP, eliminate the 3A in it, try only 1 3A (or none at all) in the FS and she'll be fine.

According to some of her fans, the reason there is so much emphasis on the 3A is because it's her signature jump against Yuna's 3-3s. Seriously, delivering clean performances should be her focus not the 3A.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
So (a little stats here) assuming a 50% success rate, and that each jump attempt is independent of the other, her chances of landing all three are .5*.5*.5= .125 = 12.5%. In other words, it is 1- .125 = 87.5% that she will botch AT LEAST one of them. Not very good odds if you ask me.

I think the more appropriate metric here would be to calculate the expected outcome (i.e. the score she gets) versus that of a more safer alternative, and then applying some sort of risk metric to assess the overall merit of the three-3A plan.

Obviously not going to do it here, though, since I'm at work... haha.