Men Free Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men Free Program

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes Oda's program was scored higher. I am sure Plushenko fans think Plushenko's program was better than Oda's. Being a fan of both skaters I enjoyed both programs immensely.

i think odas program is far better:)But Plushy sold his Lp totally, he got people into it...
Arrogance??Yes, Olympic sized one!Hm not first time I see it...joubert did it last year after his sp... Actually people laughed with No1 because he seemed so happy as a child, you couldnt but laugh..it is his first competition, the man came back and almost nobody believed he would be competitive, I would say let him enjoy his moment, and what a moment, he blew the arena before program was over.
Something i did see only in Oda in Teb..skating with no fear and enjoyment. The program is beatable of course but you never know...
The good thing with plush is that he has not such thing like picking early and blowing it after, and stuff like that...his programsare yet to develop(i hope) but god, his energy was something else...

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
From Johnny's twitter:

"Very embarrassed about today. Don't know what happened. I apologize to all my fans for the way I performed. Next one will be better."

I just want to give him a hug :cry:

seniorita

Record Breaker
johnny was in audience near me watching women fs, but he left in the middle when people discovered him, apart from plushy who was in home ice so it doesnt count, he is the most popular in all four disciplines, lol!

taylorfax

On the Ice
From Johnny's twitter:

"Very embarrassed about today. Don't know what happened. I apologize to all my fans for the way I performed. Next one will be better."

I just want to give him a hug :cry:
Yesh. Group hug.

God *facedesk* That boy. Sweet as hell and yet so frustrating.
He has nothing to apologize to other people for.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yesh. Group hug.

God *facedesk* That boy. Sweet as hell and yet so frustrating.
He has nothing to apologize to other people for.
He is really hard on himself. But yes, no apology necessary. And we all know how it is to work hard for something, and then just everything goes awry... Well, at least I know how that is.

Maybe it's not a bad thing that the GPF is basically out of question for him. He seems quite fragile and some more off-time before Nationals can be a good thing.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Maybe it's not a bad thing that the GPF is basically out of question for him. He seems quite fragile and some more off-time before Nationals can be a good thing.
Uh-uh. Not a good idea. Not this season. USFS Olys skaters selection procedure will be based on the results from the following events:

1. 2010 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
2. 2009/10 ISU Senior Grand Prix Final
3. 2009 World Figure Skating Championships
4. 2009 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
5. 2009 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
6. 2009/10 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

The original document:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/cont... WOG FSK Athlete Selection Procedures web.pdf

psycho

On the Ice
Uh-uh. Not a good idea. Not this season. USFS Olys skaters selection procedure will be based on the results from the following events:

1. 2010 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
2. 2009/10 ISU Senior Grand Prix Final
3. 2009 World Figure Skating Championships
4. 2009 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
5. 2009 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
6. 2009/10 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

The original document:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/cont... WOG FSK Athlete Selection Procedures web.pdf
Please, we all know they'll go by nationals. Their selection criteria last season had all these competitions listed too, and we all know how much all that counted.

Silver medalist Mroz wasn't exactly stellar either. There's still a long time until nationals. So it's not over until the fat lady sings.;)

Weir needs to regroup by NHK, and everything will be fine.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow! That's a wake up call to the people who have had doubt for Plushenko's coming back. He is back, as strong as before, only better. He will be on the Olympics podium. Whether the medal is gold or not is still remaining to be seen. The LP is better, not the best, but better. It's only the early season. He will improve. I am happy for him!

I haven't seen others' programs yet. From what I have read, I think what I wrote in the men's SP thread generally applied to here too.

I think Oda needs a quad in LP to challenge Plushenko at the Olympics, but he IS a threat. Chan needs to be up a notch on technics too. That's the exciting part of Plushenko's come back. Everyone has to bring his A game.:rock:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Evan's pretty much guaranteed a spot no matter where he places at nationals. he's the freaking World Champ... barring injury he'll be in Vancouver

Medusa

Record Breaker
Johnny has a tough tough field at NHK. If he skated very good there, that would certainly be a statement, even if he didn't win and therefore didn't qualify for the GPF. E.g. if he beats Borodulin (I freaking love that family name, it's even better than Shabalin), Rippon, Kozuka, Abbott and Joubert (though that's not much of an accomplishment these days) and snatches the silver behind Takahashi - that would be a fantastic and send a positive message to the US-figure-skating-thingies.

psycho

On the Ice
Johnny has a tough tough field at NHK. If he skated very good there, that would certainly be a statement, even if he didn't win and therefore didn't qualify for the GPF. E.g. if he beats Borodulin (I freaking love that family name, it's even better than Shabalin), Rippon, Kozuka, Abbott and Joubert (though that's not much of an accomplishment these days) and snatches the silver behind Takahashi - that would be a fantastic and send a positive message to the US-figure-skating-thingies.

Actually, beating Rippon and Abbott would be enough for a USFSA message. He already beat Mroz.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I've just finished watching Plushy's LP. Is he serious about that Tango Amore? It looks almost like a parody, with a bit of Joubert mockery, re the hip thrusts posture.
I had a good laugh :rofl:
I laughed, but then I was just disgusted with his program. I don't know what I found the most horrible part: The 'tango' moves and hip thrusts, the moment he grabs his face, or when he holds up his hand with his finger up as 'number 1' after landing a jump!!! I admit - the jumps are magnificent - but that's all there is!!!

i love to skate

Medalist
I laughed, but then I was just disgusted with his program. I don't know what I found the most horrible part: The 'tango' moves and hip thrusts, the moment he grabs his face, or when he holds up his hand with his finger up as 'number 1' after landing a jump!!! I admit - the jumps are magnificent - but that's all there is!!!

The moment in the footwork when he touches his face was the most horrible, IMO. It was disgusting! The number 1 sign was a close second.

In creativity research, one method used to evaluate creative works is to go to a number of experts and have them judge it (separate from each other) on various criteria, and then look to see if they are in agreement with each other about the merits (or lack thereof). Interjudge reliability does tend to be pretty high in such studies. I wonder what the reliability would be for judges scores' if we calculated it. Who's up for some SPSS fun, then? :biggrin:

It's very tricky. We are trying to apply statistical methods to qualitites rather than to quantities. The question is -- what exactly do we want to measure?

In studies like the ones you describe, yes, we can measure the degree of agreement among the judges. And when we finish our analysis, that is what we have learned. That this panel of judges was in more substantial agreement than was that panel of judges. Or that there was substantial agreement among judges that Kozuka's skating skills were superior to Van der Perren's, but that there was less agreement on the question of whether Weir's transitions were better than Mroz's.

prettykeys said:
Other things like Skating quality, Transitions, etc. (and of course the Technical aspects) should follow objective guidelines; the subjectivity regarding the scale should be minimized (i.e. the sampling variation/error). It is very much a statistical problem if judges are to generally agree with the scale (e.g. what constitutes exceptional, superior, fair, or poor.)

To me, that is the crux of the matter. Your post raises two issues. First, subjectivity is not at all the same as sampling error. One can mitigate sampling error (statistical “noise”) by expanding the panel of judges, for instance. But that will not address the issue of subjectivity.

The second problem is this. Although there are well-established statistical methods for measuring the degree of agreement among judges, I do not see any reliable and robust statistical method for deciding whether the judges are in agreement with objective criteria. The only thing I can think of is to ask some super judges what they think of the judging, then ask some super-duper judges what they think of the super judges' evaluation of the judges. This kind of expert oversight, however, has nothing to do with statistics, that I can see.