Men Free Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men Free Program

life684

Final Flight
Artem Borodulin got wrong edge call (e) for both his Lutz and his Flip, that must be a first timer, I remember Nakano getting that but in different competitions.

He got flip wrong edge call in sp and lutz edge call in LP :chorus:. Fire the technical team.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I think the procedure is that if a judge accumulates three anomalies then he/she has to go up before a disciplinary committee. Before any punishment is handed out (such as reduction in judging assignments, etc.), the judge has an opportunity to justuify his/her marks, including bringing in video tapes and the like.

Sure, I recall that notion from ISU rules reg the 'corridor'. But I didn't do the math for mens fs CoR scores. You're probably saying that those 9's and 8.5s, as well as 6s and 6.5s are perfectly within the corridor in this case, and thus, normal.

So next time, when you see they are giving 9s for a piece of monstrosity, better do the math and see it's perfectly normal and justified. OK! :yes:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
The score of Plushenko is of course beatable but the problem is when he improves his PCS, the other skaters need to be without any mistakes and considering there isn't an overall consistent skater out there... And now when Plushenko is putting even more pressure on them :think:

Evan is a very consistent skater. It will be interesting to see his debut

Sure, I recall that notion from ISU rules reg the 'corridor'. But I didn't do the math for mens fs CoR scores. You're probably saying that those 9's and 8.5s, as well as 6s and 6.5s are perfectly within the corridor in this case, and thus, normal.

So next time, when you see they are giving 9s for a piece of monstrosity, better do the math and see it's perfectly normal and justified. OK! :yes:

Well, I'm just the messenger. (Hermes to Speedy's Zeus, as it were. :cool: )

But I do have to say that I am not generally upset at the idea that one judge likes a skater's program and another doesn't. It is not like in statistics, where you would like to get the sampling error (statistical noise) down as low as possible so as not to swamp the thing that is being measured.

That is also why I am not all up in arms about the statsitical consequences of reducing the size of the judging panel. The scores are judgments. I think that fans of figure skating have to reconcile themselves to the fact that theirs is a judged sport.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But I do have to say that I am not generally upset at the idea that one judge likes a skater's program and another doesn't. It is not like in statistics, where you would like to get the sampling error (statistical noise) down as low as possible so as not to swamp the thing that is being measured.
I don't have an issue with the judges liking or disliking a program - that's wholly subjective. Most of us here are pretty knowledgable, and we all have our likes and dislikes, too... ;)

But I do feel that there should be more agreement on what are supposed to be measurable and at least somewhat objective criteria. The scores shouldn't be about what the judges "liked", at least for components such as skating skills and transitions. I can see how it would be harder to find agreement on interpretation and P&E (I want CH out of the PCS, as I've written before).

In creativity research, one method used to evaluate creative works is to go to a number of experts and have them judge it (separate from each other) on various criteria, and then look to see if they are in agreement with each other about the merits (or lack thereof). Interjudge reliability does tend to be pretty high in such studies. I wonder what the reliability would be for judges scores' if we calculated it. Who's up for some SPSS fun, then? :biggrin:

prettykeys

Medalist

That is also why I am not all up in arms about the statistical consequences of reducing the size of the judging panel. The scores are judgments. I think that fans of figure skating have to reconcile themselves to the fact that theirs is a judged sport.
Choreography and Interpretation from the PCS are really the only things that should be subjectively judged. Other things like Skating quality, Transitions, etc. (and of course the Technical aspects) should follow objective guidelines; the subjectivity regarding the scale should be minimized (i.e. the sampling variation/error). It is very much a statistical problem if judges are to generally agree with the scale (e.g. what constitutes exceptional, superior, fair, or poor.)

Sometimes you get coordinated over- or under-scoring, which means that all the judges did their job within the acceptable parameters but the end result is still noticeably "off" the overall impression of whether the score was an accurate reflection of the performance.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Well, I'm just the messenger.

I know, I know [a shy smile].

But I do have to say that I am not generally upset at the idea that one judge likes a skater's program and another doesn't.

And how do you feel about any 2 judges liking a skater's program exactly the same? Those two '9s guys', the Russian and the Ukrainian judge, were in perfect sync on all the 5 program fs components of a certain skater: 8.75 and 8.75 for SS, 7.75 and 7.75 for TR, 9.00 and 9.00 on PE, 8.50 and 8.50 on CH, and finally 9.00 and 9.00 for IN.

What do stats say about chances of two great minds thinking alike?

fairly4

Medalist
Evgeny decent skate--should be a bit sharper -but i am sure come olympics you will be ready- full throttle.

brandon okay skate--to me a bit slow and low on jumps
johnny-what can i say.

takahiko and artem-- good skates.

taylorfax

On the Ice
Poor Johnny What happened?
Physically ready but not mentally prepared yet?
So much pressure too (from inner and outer forces). I feel for him.
But resolutely support him still. And the fact that he cannot compete like some people are saying is bull. Inner demons aside, he's done it and done it damn successfully before.
And if he's actually as well trained as I think he is, I have faith. Get it together, JWe. <3

i love to skate

Medalist
I loved Kozuka's free program - especially the music! Kurt Browning described his skating best I think; his skating is full of patience and it has a breath and an air to it but he is missing a spark. He had my favorite program of the day.

Just watched Plushenko - jumps, jumps, jumps and nothing else. Looks exactly the same as he did in 2006 - yawn. His circular footwork was embarassing - the commentators actually burst out laughing at one point. What was with all the "I'm number one crap" pointing with his finger? It's the Grand Prix for heaven's sake!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Just watched Plushenko - jumps, jumps, jumps and nothing else. Looks exactly the same as he did in 2006 - yawn. His circular footwork was embarassing - the commentators actually burst out laughing at one point. What was with all the "I'm number one crap" pointing with his finger? It's the Grand Prix for heaven's sake!

All of Plushenko's programs are exactly the same, you could interchange the music with any of his programs and you would get the same result. That is what is so frusterating, he always wins with the same program.

Poor Johnny, he sounded so confident on twitter....

evangeline

Record Breaker

I agree...but as long as Plushenko keeps consistently hitting those 4-3s and 3As like he's doing now, he's probably going to be number one no matter how boring the rest of his programs are, judging from the way the men's field is looking right now.

life684

Final Flight
All of Plushenko's programs are exactly the same, you could interchange the music with any of his programs and you would get the same result. That is what is so frusterating, he always wins with the same program.

Poor Johnny, he sounded so confident on twitter....

but he does land his jumps, the guys who does chero very well rarely land their jumps. And most can't land quad, let alone add a triple.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Weir - has work to do. He seldom really skates the program - leaving out and/or doubling jumps. Where has his heart gone? Didn't seem to be in his skating today. Sorry to see him looking so downcast in the KnC.

I was not expecting this from him. Usually he starts the season so strong. Last year he came out with a vengence and we all thought that the National title was his to lose...until he didn't even make the world team. I don't think he by any means has his olympic spot in the bag unless he really steps things up. Maybe he and his team are trying to peak later this year, but his talk last spring of "quitting the sport" for a few months after his disasterous nationals has me worried. The unmotivated Johnny has returned. Just when we though he grew up.