Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Nathalie and Fabian made some changes to their FD after the Masters, and that includes the music (also, obviously, the costumes). They spoke about it in an interview prior to TEB, but I can't remember where I saw it... sorry.

fanofskate

Rinkside
Requiem for a Dream to me is one of those modern music that has repeating patterns, may be fast or slow or rumbling. When I listen to it, all I can picture is a lot of rushing on the ice or very fast turns to really fit the 'running'/repeating sound of the piece. I don't know if I explain it well. I haven't seen one program that really brings out RoD to life on ice. The Italians were good but again the choreography and the music don't quite match.

life684

Final Flight
At the moment it's not even clear if Maxim will make it to Vancouver. :no: I'd say worrying about music is the least of their concerns...Aren't they mixing it up with other music? Perhaps it will have a different structure...What hurt them in 2007 IMO was not so much that they had the same music as D/W but that they had basically the same concept, similar costumes etc. And Dostatni was TS and they didn't have Linichuk in their corner yet to counter-politik. :p

i think its their strategy to miss gps rather than the injury resurfacing. they looked very happy on their youtube video just 2 or 3 days before they announced their withdrawal. i guess they are only going to compete at Nationals, europeans and Olympics, Piseyev may even allow them not to compete at russian nationals.

herios

Medalist
I dunno - V/M got 97.39 - D/W got 101.02. Even with the deductions added back, D/W would still be ahead. Now, I think that V/M will end up ahead as I think D/W's PCS will take a drop head-to-head, and V/M had trouble with both their lifts that cost GOEs (whereas D/W had no problems in that regard, or certainly less). I'd like to see the protocols to see how many level fours they got. If they've maxed out already, than maybe.

Mathematically you are correct. V/M had both their step seq. at level 3, which I am sure they will try to correct. Yes, we need to see what D/W got for their levels.

jcoates

Medalist
Not if V/M correct the lifts they got deducted for.

Not sure that's correct based on their TEB score. They lost 2 pts there for extended lifts. They actually got positive GOEs for every element. So if you eliminated the deductions from their score, they would still only total 99.39. If you look at the raw scores, D/Ws scores here beat both their TES and PCS.

Just checked protocols...D/W got level 3 on both step sequences. So, there is still room for improvement with both their scores and V/M.

Last edited:

Enthusiast

On the Ice
V/M's outing of the OD and FD @ TEB wasn't perfect...a shaky lift from Scott in the FD, Scott's twizzle problem in the FD, and Tessa's twizzle problem in the OD. ALL things that will be corrected as the season progresses, along with the L3 step sequences.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
What was tessa's od twizzle issue? Scott sways a bit in the first twizzles and is behind Tessa in the second. Scott sometimes has a curvier axis on his twizzles than Tessa. What was her error - I'm distracted when I watch.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
What was tessa's od twizzle issue? Scott sways a bit in the first twizzles and is behind Tessa in the second. Scott sometimes has a curvier axis on his twizzles than Tessa. What was her error - I'm distracted when I watch.

It's the second set of twizzles in the OD- Tessa doesn't get tall enough over her skates and almost loses it. One judge gave them -1 and a couple gave 0 GOE.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W got L3 on their two step sequences, the same as V/M. So if D/W improves that to L4, even if V/M improve theirs, they still remain par or above.

BTW, last week at TEB, V/M looked indignant when they saw their FD scores. They obviously were expecting them to be much higher.

IMO, it's good for both D/W and V/M to push each other. That way, neither team can afford to become complacent or assume they're already the best they can be.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
D/W got L3 on their two step sequences, the same as V/M. So if D/W improves that to L4, even if V/M improve theirs, they still remain par or above.

BTW, last week at TEB, V/M looked indignant when they saw their FD scores. They obviously were expecting them to be much higher.

IMO, it's good for both D/W and V/M to push each other. That way, neither team can afford to become complacent or assume they're already the best they can be.

V/M had slight twizzle mishaps in OD/FD, and a little mishap on Scott's lift in the FD (for which a judge gave a -1).

D/W's posture issues aren't getting a lot of attending to by their coaches. Even in the most obscure places, eg. look at the way Meryl Davis comes off the second set of twizzles- really not good. Tessa OTOH, centrally aligned, broad arch in the shoulders, and that's probably why D/W get their twizzles so fast. But I guess they can bank on getting L4s to beat their opponents, as always, considering that's really all they do better than anyone.

Last edited:

Enthusiast

On the Ice

If they look 'indignant' to you, then D/W (Meryl, especially) must also look peeved, p-o'd, at her marks in the KnC(2008 4CC OD, 08 CD,...). Same goes for Yuko Kawaguchi. Even your oh-so-beloved Rachael Flatt has had her share of eye-rolling.

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
D/W - I agree with the poster that said this program seems somewhat of a step back for them after last year's FD which was one of the best in the field. Boring, unimaginative mucis cuts! And to me they didn't even appear to be skating much *to* the music - though with such crappy music, I don't blame them...

Their speed and extension looks good in most places, and I guess that is principally what they are aiming to improve at this point.

i love to skate

Medalist

I don't think it was that they were expecting them to be higher. I think they were confused about where the -2.00 deduction came from. It was more confusion and concern that anything else, IMO.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I don't think it was that they were expecting them to be higher. I think they were confused about where the -2.00 deduction came from. It was more confusion and concern that anything else, IMO.
I would believe that more.

And I doubt you always tell what people are thinking / feeling by their facial expressions. Especially on TV / Computer, after the athletes completed an exhausting free program, are still breathing heavily, are perhaps in some pain...

I would hold accusations like those back - he/she/they look arrogant / miffed / mad / sad.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice

BTW- no they didn't look "indignant". they looked shocked at the -2. Tessa mouthed 'minus 2!' and Scott shot a look at Marina. That's what caught their attention. Not the 97.something.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
V/M's outing of the OD and FD @ TEB wasn't perfect...a shaky lift from Scott in the FD, Scott's twizzle problem in the FD, and Tessa's twizzle problem in the OD. ALL things that will be corrected as the season progresses, along with the L3 step sequences.
And Tessa's two foot dismount from the free hand lift, and an awkward position transition in the final pose.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I know the logic of it, but I love the fact that our defense of Virtue/Moir is listing off how many more mistakes they made than Davis/White. Rather amusing.