Ladies LP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

life684

Final Flight
Shiz wasn't looking this poorly though. I mean she medaled at both her events but she had to face Irina/Mao at one event and Mao/Sasha in another. She actually beat Sasha in the long program in France (barely but still) and she had the fourth highest scores (and the third highest of the eligible ladies!) that year. She was looking a LOT better than she was from the previous season and she wasn't looking completely out of it.

As for Mao hitting her jumps in practice, a lot of people were commenting on how her jumps didn't look so great in the pratice clips... sigh. It seems that Mao decided to not only fix her flutz, but changed the technique on her flip. I think it was all just way to much.

I agree with ur statements on Shizuka but Mao still has the second best senior score. One reason we where shocked at her score at france was probably we all know she could easily score in the same range as Yuna.
Again in winning this competition Miki hasn't set a huge score, but that is the range in which she scores and further was enough to win the competition.

Most concerning part is mental toughness of mao, she seems not able to handle the pressure. Hope she learns to relax, do some yoga or something.

ks777

Record Breaker
IRRC, Shizuka won Worlds with TT. Then Shizuka's spirit seemed to go down, she stopped doing as well in international competition, and she ended up going to Morozov about a month before the Olys, and she won that. I believe that TT concentrates on polishing the PCS, then brings up the focus on the technical level toward the biggest contests, Worlds and Olys, so that her skaters peak at just the right time. It worked beautifully for Evan Lysacek. Frank Carroll had polished his style a lot, and then TT polished it even more. While TT was working with Evan as his choreographer last season, Evan's technical skills noticeably drooped, but they were brought back again to peak level just in time for Worlds. I think this is TT's strategy, with skaters who have proven jumping ability, but need artistic/stylistic improvement. I think she has them concentrate on the PCS side of skating, and lets their TES side languish for a while, then ends up renewing the technical focus, and bringing the whole thing together at the right moment. Perhaps if Mao can stick it out for the rest of the season, trusting TT, as Evan did, she will have a surprisingly happy result. I remember seeing footage online of TT congratulating Evan after his Worlds win, and I think she was saying, basically, "I told you so" to him. He looked very happy. If the Japanese federation is not able to trust TT's game plan, then, I think, the ending may not be so happy for Mao.

actually Evan wasn't doing good with TT's choreographed programs so he had Lori Nichols change the programs for him. then it worked for him.

As for Shizuka, she was with Richard Callaghan that year until right before the worlds. It was clear to me that Callaghan should get credit for her win at worlds.

bekalc

Record Breaker
IRRC, Shizuka won Worlds with TT. Then Shizuka's spirit seemed to go down, she stopped doing as well in international competition, and she ended up going to Morozov about a month before the Olys, and she won that. I believe that TT concentrates on polishing the PCS, then brings up the focus on the technical level toward the biggest contests, Worlds and Olys, so that her skaters peak at just the right time. It worked beautifully for Evan Lysacek. Frank Carroll had polished his style a lot, and then TT polished it even more. While TT was working with Evan as his choreographer last season, Evan's technical skills noticeably drooped, but they were brought back again to peak level just in time for Worlds. I think this is TT's strategy, with skaters who have proven jumping ability, but need artistic/stylistic improvement. I think she has them concentrate on the PCS side of skating, and lets their TES side languish for a while, then ends up renewing the technical focus, and bringing the whole thing together at the right moment. Perhaps if Mao can stick it out for the rest of the season, trusting TT, as Evan did, she will have a surprisingly happy result. I remember seeing footage online of TT congratulating Evan after his Worlds win, and I think she was saying, basically, "I told you so" to him. He looked very happy. If the Japanese federation is not able to trust TT's game plan, then, I think, the ending may not be so happy for Mao.

Shizuka did not really win Worlds under Tarasova. She was trained under Richard Callahan up until two weeks or so before Worlds. So Richard C deserves a HECK of a lot of credit for Shizuka's Worlds win.

With Tarasova, I believe Shizuka left her a lot sooner than just a month and while Shizuka was looking better it was clear her confidence needed boasting. Say what you will about Nicolai but he helped her a lot by making everything her programs etc easier.

And while peaking is Tarasova's game plan, I don't think her game plan is to see her skaters having disasterous skates right before the Olympics either. I mean Illia had a bit of a disasterous season prior to his Olympic seasno. But he was looking incredibly strong in the Olympic season. So was Yagudin. Yagudin's win against Plushenko at the GPF helped his confidence a LOT.

skate4ever

Rinkside
Does anybody know how time violation works?
Is it the time between the skater comes into the rink and steps out of it,
or the duration of the performance (music)?

Sorry guys, too lazy to read the rule book.

PftJump

On the Ice
Still MAO thing?
Tonight, it's not about Score or Ranking.
IT'S ALL ABOUT SPOPTSMANSHIP!!
Her performance after First 3A-2T was just insulting Audiences and another player.
There is no will to skate, no sincerity, no GUTS!!.

70% of her Score was PCS score, and she defeats 7 skaters for that.
ISU's corruption was revealed obviously.
Maybe that's Mao's only achievement tonight.

beep_beep

Medalist
Does anybody know how time violation works?
Is it the time between the skater comes into the rink and steps out of it,
or the duration of the performance (music)?

Sorry guys, too lazy to read the rule book.
I believe it starts counting when the skater starts moving. Count the presentation time from it and if passes the regulated time, deduct.
I'd guess...

janetfan

Match Penalty
actually Evan wasn't doing good with TT's choreographed programs so he had Lori Nichols change the programs for him. then it worked for him.

Carroll convinced Evan to forget the quad. If Evan had tried the quad and missed it I doubt that he would have won.
A good coaching decision and one Evan would not have made on his own.
Good strategy does count and can help a skater win - just as bad strategy can lose competitions.

skate4ever

Rinkside
I believe it starts counting when the skater starts moving. Count the presentation time from it and if passes the regulated time, deduct.
I'd guess...

Thanks, beep_beep.
I thought it was strange that two skaters got penalized for time violation.
But I guess it should be discussed in the SP forum.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Still MAO thing?
Her performance after First 3A-2T was just insulting Audiences and another player.

You know, kicking someone when they're down is so classy...

And I thought you bots would go away if your least favourite skater isn't doing well.

bekalc

Record Breaker
way to much.

I agree with ur statements on Shizuka but Mao still has the second best senior score

Her score in France though is beatable. By not only Kim but by merely decent skates from Rochette, Ando, Kostner, and a great skate from Rachael Flatt. I suspect Flatt's PCS are going to be going up. Not a whole lot but some.

Plus you have to add in her disasterous skate at Japan Open too (Mao's had two free skates where she hasn't even cracked 110)

ann918

Rinkside
Still MAO thing?

Give her a break, for god's sake.. :disapp:
I see what you mean by she had no will to skate after popping 3A-2T
but she's been skating under SO much pressure, and frankly I think she seemed
like she didnt want to be on the ice tonight.

ISU's reputation judging is infamous, and I think it has its merits and downsides.
I mean, you cannot ignore a skater's career for one mistake, but you can't also judge completely on one's reputation, right???

Dodhiyel, I was still trusting TAT up till this. But it can't be part of her game plan to destroy the confidence of her skater in an Olympic season. I can't write Mao off yet but if she manages to threaten Yu Na at the Olympics it will be a miracle.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Congrats to Miki, Ashley, and Alena !!
As a big fan of Miki I am quite releaved that she has done pretty well when her programs aren't very polished yet. I'm confident that both her programs have the potential to be five times better than what they are now.
Hope this win will give her a boost.

I really feel for Mao. In the K&C why did TAT have to NAG her like that after the SP? I have a feeling THAT brought her really down.
Don't worry Mao !! You'll do just fine next time around. You're a World Champion, be confident in yourself !

And Julia! I've been secretly rooting for you. Keep pushing!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Ok, now who will go to GPF.

Yuna for million percent
Miki
Joannie
Yukari?
Ashley?
Mirai?

When is Ashley next GP? NHK? i think if she won silver again, she will be in final for sure. her only challenger for the medal are Nakano and Lepisto, which Ashley can beat with her current score.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Not sure how much TAT is really responsible for what happened. Seems like just going into a wrong cycle whoever and whatever. I hope that Mao can break it before the Nationals.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Still MAO thing?

GO AWAY

Where is your sportsmanship? You're kicking a dog while it's down. Don't know what that means? Then go spend your time googling it instead of wasting your time here.

skate4ever

Rinkside
Dodhiyel, I was still trusting TAT up till this. But it can't be part of her game plan to destroy the confidence of her skater in an Olympic season. I can't write Mao off yet but if she manages to threaten Yu Na at the Olympics it will be a miracle.

I don't think it was anybody's intention to destroy Mao's confidence. Things just didn't work out as the team had planned.

But I have a hunch that Mao will figure everything out by the Japanese Nationals and compete with Yuna, Miki, Ashley, Joannie and the rest of the bunch for OGM to become the 'come-back kid' of the season.