Warm-Up Group 2
5 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 4 54.42
6 Keauna MCLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 3 61.34
7 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 2 61.62
8 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 1 65.40

Nadine

Record Breaker
Wow, only 8 couples!?!

I'm really just interested in the American Pair of M&B......delightfully surprised at their SP.......now can't wait to see their FS. :)

And what I saw of the Russian Pairs Couples was very promising & a joy to behold. Brings me back to the exquisite days of G&G.:love:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I have to admit I'm bored. I might just come back for the last group.

This first couple from EST should get a deduction for neon bright costumes that literally burn the eye.

Not bad, nor good either, okay I guess.

beep_beep

Medalist
There is storm coming up here... should be out power/internet connection anytime now...fabulous.

Hey, Siudek is their coach!

Diva

On the Ice
Pairs alway only have 8 couples. Not sure why though.

I think it has to do with the warm up, at least that is what the German commentators said a couple of years ago... It would be too dangerous to have more couples warming up and according to them there is also to less space when all pairs would so a death spiral at the same time e.g. In dance there are five couples and in single six skaters.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think it has to do with the warm up, at least that is what the German commentators said a couple of years ago... It would be too dangerous to have more couples warming up and according to them there is also to less space when all pairs would so a death spiral at the same time e.g. In dance there are five couples and in single six skaters.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

beep_beep

Medalist
I think it also has to do with the amount of pair teams out there: not too many

Looked like a good outing for the canadians. I like this team

Nadine

Record Breaker
I hate to be cruel but he really needs to get a toupee, it totally ruins my enjoyment. He looks like an old man out there wearing pink suspenders & dancing to "singing in the rain". Usually I mostly focus on the lady but this time my entire focus was on him, in a bad way. :(

Love their lifts, he should enter one of those "strong man" competitons. Me man, you woman.:laugh:

Did land all their jumps, good job, and they place 1st with a score of 101.77!:thumbsup:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Brodeur/Mattatal just gave me a huge hit of joy with their Singin' in the Rain free. Not quite nailing the character of the song, but I had a goofy smile on my face throughout. Couple mistakes, though.

Diva

On the Ice
Like last season, I really enjoyed watching M&R :love: Great lifts and some cool other moves, too sad the sbs jumps weren't there (but they should get a +3 for that fall in total synchro:))

And there are a couple of promising Russian pairs behing M&T and K&S.

Nadine

Record Breaker
What an exquisite couple with classical Russian long lines & elegance & refinement (they really use her flexibility to a tee). Too bad about the falls & little mishaps here & there. Loved the textbook perfect overhead lift, brought me back to G&G at the 1994 OIympics with their Moonlight Sonata Program wherein Sergei lifted Katia so exquisitely over his head......ahhh.....memories. :love:

Kinga

Medalist
Beautiful lifts. And pretty costumes! These Russian can be future champions..

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
This Italian couple, though admittedly not my cup of tea, are certainly strong jumpers & look/have powerful physiques, total opposite of the Russian couples, but nevertheless it works for them. Kudos!:thumbsup: