Cup of China Preview | Golden Skate

Cup of China Preview

Medusa

Record Breaker
Flatt is widely known for skating to music that charges the intellect rather than the artist, and this season her choices go against that grain.
That is a highly interesting sentence. Can someone explain it to me? Music is art. Most artists were intellectual, there are very few exceptions, like Satie. And the intellect describes an aspect of a person, artist describes what a person does. Does this mean that La Mer from Debussy does not challenge the artist? Is this music mathematical, rational? What kind of music charges the artist then, if not La Mer from Debussy?

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Is Suzuki supposed to be listed in 3rd? I think she's a medal contender, but the fact that the first non-Joannie sentence reads "Rochette's biggest hurdles will come via American Rachael Flatt and Japan's Fumie Suguri" would suggest that the author thinks that Suguri will be on the podium, no?

jcoates

Medalist
I think what he means that her past music choices tend to be a bit "high brow" and less generically popular. She has not tended to pick as many so-called warhorse pieces as other skaters (or at least the less popular cuts of such warhorse pieces). That may make her seem less accessible to some viewers. I always liked her music choices myself. She's a delightful skater.

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
That is a highly interesting sentence. Can someone explain it to me? Music is art. Most artists were intellectual, there are very few exceptions, like Satie. And the intellect describes an aspect of a person, artist describes what a person does. Does this mean that La Mer from Debussy does not challenge the artist? Is this music mathematical, rational? What kind of music charges the artist then, if not La Mer from Debussy?

I'm confused by your statement. Are you saying Erik Satie was not an intellectual? I always thought of him as an intellectual. His music would definitely be a challenge to skate to.

Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice
Shen Zhao will show us what the real world champion is!!!!:rock:

watch out guys

kalle

On the Ice
Mirai :agree:
I am really hoping this will be a good competition for her.I liked her programs from Golden West and think that she can be up there fighting for a medal.Does anyone know her jump layout, any 3x3 planned or 2A+3T?

bibi

On the Ice
Mirai :agree:
I am really hoping this will be a good competition for her.I liked her programs from Golden West and think that she can be up there fighting for a medal.Does anyone know her jump layout, any 3x3 planned or 2A+3T?
From her long program at Golden West, I really think she has a 2A-3T planned, because she took a lot of speed to get into her 2axel-2toe, which was one of her first jumps.

Jiarry

Rinkside
I 'm a volunteer of COC this year, I am looking forward to see the return of Shen & Zhao

Nadine

Record Breaker
Elvin has correctly picked one discipline in each competiton thus far. Lol, yes, I'm keeping track. :biggrin:

So far he correctly picked the Ladies at TEB & he also correctly picked the Pairs at Rostelecom Cup. So it seems like he gets at least one discipline correct for each competition. Can't wait to see which discipline he picked correctly for Cup of China. :)

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Elvin has correctly picked one discipline in each competiton thus far. Lol, yes, I'm keeping track. :biggrin:

So far he correctly picked the Ladies at TEB & he also correctly picked the Pairs at Rostelecom Cup. So it seems like he gets at least one discipline correct for each competition. Can't wait to see which discipline he picked correctly for Cup of China. :)

I think it'll be the bobsled.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I 'm a volunteer of COC this year, I am looking forward to see the return of Shen & Zhao

OMG you are sooooooooooo lucky!!! please if you can post about what you see, it's great to hear from a first-hand opinion!