Financial influence of Japan on figure skating? | Golden Skate

Financial influence of Japan on figure skating?

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
It's not a secret that Japan have become one of the most influential countries in figure skating in terms of finance. Almost all international ISU-held-competitions have Japanese companies on the advertisement board around the ice, and I even heard that if all Japanese sponsors withdraw from figure skating, it would be even impossible for competitions to be held in the future. This might be an exaggeration, but not completely groundless.
Since I know how Mao considered the core of Japanese figure skating, I am wondering what would happen if she doesn't make it to the Olympics. In Japan, it obviously that Japanese Fed, media and most fans treat Miki and other Japanese skaters less importantly than Mao. Will it affect the popularity of figure skating in Japan, those concerned sponsors, and figure skating in the long run? Again this is related to the decline of the popularity of figure skating?

I don't mean any conspiracy in this thread. I am just talking about "what effects would this kind of trend of sponsorship bring to the sport in terms of finance, not in terms of judging or whatever that brings another controversy". Also I am not blaming those sponsors at all.

For example, many foreign riches have became to have so much influence on England Premier League since they buy players and teams causing huge financial influx to the sport. It's said that nowadays EPL financially depend on those non-English riches. If those riches go bankrupt due to huge debts, many teams including Man Utd probably will collapse. Obviously this will shake the sport. You know what I mean? Here the controversy is about teams' financial stability which is closely related to the stability of English football. Same way, if figure skating financially depends on those sponsors from a single country, would it bring the same controversy (again, not about judging or whatever) ?
Again this might be related to the decline of popularity of FS in North America? What can we do about it.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's not a secret that Japan have become one of the most influential countries in figure skating in terms of finance. Almost all international ISU-held-competitions have Japanese companies on the advertisement board around the ice, and I even heard that if all Japanese sponsors withdraw from figure skating, it would be even impossible for competitions to be held in the future. This might be an exaggeration, but not completely groundless.
Since I know how Mao considered the core of Japanese figure skating, I am wondering what would happen if she doesn't make it to the Olympics. In Japan, it obviously that Japanese Fed, media and most fans treat Miki and other Japanese skaters less importantly than Mao. Will it affect the popularity of figure skating in Japan, those concerned sponsors, and figure skating in the long run?

Unless Mao is unable to compete it seems highly unlikely that she will not be given a ticket to Vancouver.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Oh, please....if this is another conspiracy thread, stop....just stop.

With a title and post as loaded as yours, what are you trying to imply? That Mao has special privleges? That the JSF has some serious financial clout that will prevent your favourite skater from winning?

Is this really necessary?

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Oh, please....if this is another conspiracy thread, stop....just stop.

With a title and post as loaded as yours, what are you trying to imply? That Mao has special privleges? That the JSF has some serious financial clout that will prevent your favourite skater from winning?

Is this really necessary?

Okay, I elaborated what I meant. Can you please re-read my original post?

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I don't know why you are taking this as a conspiracy thread. Maybe you accepted that way but I didn't mean to. It sounds like you know more that I know, huh.

I don't mean any conspiracy in this thread. I am just talking about "what effects would this kind of trend of sponsorship bring to the sport in terms of finance, not in terms of judging or whatever that brings another controversy". Also I am not blaming those sponsors at all.

For example, many foreign riches have became to have so much influence on England Premier League since they buy players and teams causing financial influx to the sport. It's sad that nowadays EPL financially depend on those non-English riches. Here the controversy is about teams' financial stability which is closely related to English football. Same way, if figure skating financially depends on those sponsors from a single country, would it bring the same controversy (again, not about judging or whatever) ?

Figure skating hasn't always been sponsored so heavily by Japanese companies...only a few years ago, it enjoyed substantial American sponsorship, as well as a big fat contract with NBC, an American broadcasting company. Did that help Michelle Kwan--the American sweetheart and the American with the most sponsorship--win an Olympic gold medal?

And seriously, do you really think figure skating would completely collapse if the Japanese sponsors withdrew their support? And why would Japanese sponsors completely withdraw their support if Mao floundered anyways? There are plenty of talented Japanese skaters such as Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Takahashi: all skaters who seem to be doing well. Besides, other countries are also willing to be sponsors as well. Look at South Korea, enjoying a boost in interest in figure skating because of Yu-Na Kim's success. They have stepped in and hosted competitions such as the 4CC and the GPF.

Japan is not the be-all and end-all of figure skating.

Last edited:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
:rolleye: And this is why I hardly post here anymore. There are hardly any real, enlightening discussions anymore because the annoying ubers have taken over with their absurd conspiracy theories or arguing with each other on who was overscored in PCS. :banging:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Figure skating hasn't always been sponsored so heavily by Japanese companies...only a few years ago, it enjoyed substantial American sponsorship, as well as a big fat contract with NBC, an American broadcasting company. Did that help Michelle Kwan win an Olympic gold medal?

Okay, a few years ago. But what about now? It's not long ago when I heard some US and Canadian broadcasting companies showed pessimistic attitude about televising figure skating after Olympics due to declining popularity. Again, I didn't say that this kind would help a skater win a medal.

And seriously, do you really think figure skating would completely collapse if the Japanese sponsors withdrew their support? And why would Japanese sponsors completely withdraw their support if Mao floundered anyways? There are plenty of talented Japanese skaters such as Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Takahashi: all skaters who seem to be doing well. Besides, other countries are also willing to be sponsors as well. Look at South Korea, enjoying a boost in interest in figure skating because of Yu-Na Kim's success. They have stepped in and hosted competitions such as the 4CC and the GPF.

Japan is not the be-all and end-all of figure skating.

FS wouldn't collapse if those sponsors withdraw but I think it will still have a huge impact. In almost every sport, finance is really an important factor. Maybe I used a wrong assumption - "if Mao doesn't make it to Olympics", okay I am taking it back. However, having talented skaters doesn't mean that they are always the nation's favorites. From several years ago, I have seen how JSF treated Mao and Miki differently. Would JSF this upset if Miki didn't do well in Russia? I will stop talking about this cuz this will bring another controversy. The point is, Mao's position in Japan is almost absolute compared to other skaters.

Last edited:
Money talks, you-know-what walks.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Why would we expect figure skating be different from every other human enterprise? I am quite certain that, during the years when the U.S.A. was largely footing the bill, the USFSA had a disproportionate amount of clout in the ISU inner sanctum where various decisions are made.

On the other hand, European federation heads used to laugh at the USFSA for not knowing how to play the political game that results in medals for one's country.

Specifically about Mao, however, it is more up to the Japanese Federation than the ISU, whether they want to push one skater rather than another. The reason that Asada has been so much in the spotlight the last four years is not because of favoritism. It is, rather, because she has been the best.

Similarly, the reason why everyone is so perplexed at Mao's recent poor showings is because, being on top of the world, she has farther to fall than anyone else.

newvie

Rinkside
Japan has so many competitive skaters at the world level that its companies are not going to stop supporting the ISU and international events. If Mao does not do well, they'll find a next Mao.

I thank Japan for holding up the figure skating which is losing popularity in overall around the world. I'm in France and i had to make an effort in searching for news about TEB because French media was not interested in this sport. Thank god there's still Joubert that I can still have some contact with figure skating :eek:hwell:

Korea is getting crazy about the figure skating, but the party will be over as soon as Yuna retires. There's no next yuna for Korea. She was just a prodigy who happened to be born in Korea.

As mathman said, money talks. You just need to adapt yourself to what's set and played by big powers. At least you can still enjoy your beloved sport thanks to them :bow:

lcd

Match Penalty
Well said Mathman.

While surely the struggles being faced by Mao this season to date are a disappointment, the depth and breadth of Japanese singles skating should auger well for continued support. One should be looking (somewhat I would think) for what the depth and breadth of follow up will be in the wake of YuNa's marvelous run. I was often perplexed by how Chen Lu's success was not met with a flood of "next generation" talent.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When Yuna started skating in Korea, there were less than 100 skaters trained competitively. Japan put concerted effort to nurture elite skaters since 1998. It may take a while for the South Korea to produce elite skaters.

cosmos

On the Ice
Japan has a long history of skating (including speed skating). I believe its fan base is firm. Besides Mao, there are other great skaters, Miki, Yukari, Daiske, Nobu, Kozuka. There is no way their love of skating suddenly collapses.