Men's SP 5:45 am Eastern Time Friday | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's SP 5:45 am Eastern Time Friday

merrybari

Final Flight
If they don't start putting the Quad out there, they are fools. Both of them. They will need it this season, Plushenko is no Joubert, who hands out Gold medals through stupid strategies and French nerves.

Point well taken. It's called seeing the broader picture. Don't know how Oda is with that, but I think Evan does it pretty well. Now that's strategy that pays off.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think you are right about Oda and co deciding after Evan skates - unless he feels he needs to try it anyway. He already has a gold in the GP so he may want to put the quad out there. Who knows? It's not certain that Oda will skate clean for that matter. He's been known to fold and falter now and again. Not sure if he's put his "head" issues completely behind him.

Oda normally only makes those kind of mistakes at big competitions like Worlds. He's always been fairly consistent at the GP series. Besides, Morozov commented that the Japanese Federation use to write on a peice of paper and order Oda to do certain jumps right before the free skate, which may be why the boy would get so confused. It seems like Morozov has put a stop to this one.

Besides, I think its worth it for Oda to go for the quad this time. I mean he normally rotates it even if he falls, so he'll probably net 5 points which is actually a bit more than he'd get for a double axel. And if he does everything else clean it may not hurt his PCS all that much. I mean maybe a little bit, because it may lessen some of the impact, BUT, I can't see the judges penalizing him that much for attempting the quad.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oda needs to do the Quad in every competition for the rest of the season. Not only in the LP, but also in the SP.

It's true that, even if he falls on the Quad, he always gets the rotation.

If he plans a 4Toe-3Toe in the SP and falls on the Quad, he can always just add the 3Toe onto his "solo" jump later in the program.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Besides, I think its worth it for Oda to go for the quad this time. I mean he normally rotates it even if he falls, so he'll probably net 5 points which is actually a bit more than he'd get for a double axel.

Well, you actually only get 4 points for falling on a Quad these days instead of 5 points. So, a Double Axel would score higher with a decent GOE. A really good Double Axel from Oda would score 5 points or perhaps even a bit more.

Still, the risk is definitely worth it if he wants to go for the Gold Medal at Olympics.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Oda needs to do the Quad in every competition for the rest of the season. Not only in the LP, but also in the SP.

It's true that, even if he falls on the Quad, he always gets the rotation.

If he plans a 4Toe-3Toe in the SP and falls on the Quad, he can always just add the 3Toe onto his "solo" jump later in the program.

I think that Oda should go for clean in the short program. If he is landing a 4/3 consistently in the long then maybe it would be worth it to try it in the short program. But until then, I think that he can be in fighting distance of Plushenko in the short program with just a 3/3....I mean his long program is so superior to Plushenko's. And I'm not sure if Plushenko will really be adding that much more difficulty.. That I think if he lands a quad, his score will be huge. Heck his score in France was 6 points higher than Plushenkos.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I've never known Oda to make more than 1 mistake in a program, discounting the cases where he has done "too many jumps" and gets screwed by CoP.

He's very consistent.

It is almost impossible to believe he is not the World Champion. :yes:
ETA: As soon as he skated onto the ice I saw his first mistake: that silly costume :p

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
It is almost impossible to believe he is not the World Champion. :yes:
Where did he come in last year? ;)

7th. But that was only because he lost A LOT of points due to combination rules.. Oda missed the previous season due to some personal issues, and I think last season he was just getting back into the swing of things competition wise (he only had one GP event) He seemed to be getting better at worlds and WTT. He beat Chan there, but his programs were crap last year.

He needs to really kick butt though this season if he wants the judges to be willing to give him the OGM. I think if he beats Lyseck here. Wins GPF, and starts landing quads, Oda will be making a strong case for himself. His long program is so strong, and if he adds a quad to that, it will be the whole package that has been missing for awhile.

janetfan

Match Penalty
7th. But that was only because he lost A LOT of points due to combination rules.. Oda missed the previous season due to some personal issues, and I think last season he was just getting back into the swing of things competition wise (he only had one GP event) He seemed to be getting better at worlds and WTT. He beat Chan there, but his programs were crap last year.

He needs to really kick butt though this season if he wants the judges to be willing to give him the OGM. I think if he beats Lyseck here. Wins GPF, and starts landing quads, Oda will be making a strong case for himself. His long program is so strong, and if he adds a quad to that, it will be the whole package that has been missing for awhile.

I was kidding because evey skater makes mistakes :yes:

SusieH

On the Ice
I see there has been some discussion about Evan's costume, so maybe the question was addressed already. But since I really want to know, I will ask anyway: why is the costume black? I thought he was performing the firebird, right? And the firebird is supposed to be colorful, like Yukari Nakano's version. Was he trying to portray some other character?

It's not a sarcastic question. I thought his program was fine, but I just could not help but keep wondering why the costume is black when I watched it. BTW, the Chinese announcers seemed to like this program, and the female announcer even said this program really fits Evan Lysacek's character/persona--- I'm not sure I understand what she meant (my guess is that she thought this program is passionate, and passion suits Lysacek). So, yeah, I think I need to understand why it is black first.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I see there has been some discussion about Evan's costume, so maybe the question was addressed already. But since I really want to know, I will ask anyway: why is the costume black? I thought he was performing the firebird, right? And the firebird is supposed to be colorful, like Yukari Nakano's version. Was he trying to portray some other character?

It's not a sarcastic question. I thought his program was fine, but I just could not help but keep wondering why the costume is black when I watched it. BTW, the Chinese announcers seemed to like this program, and the female announcer even said this program really fits Evan Lysacek's character/persona--- I'm not sure I understand what she meant (my guess is that she thought this program is passionate, and passion suits Lysacek). So, yeah, I think I need to understand why it is black first.

A little known fact but Evan is a huge fan of Johnny Cash, "The Man in Black."
(Not to be confused with the motion picture "Men in Black," parts 1 & 2)

Watch for Evan's new exhibition music this year, the old Johnny Cash standard "A Boy Named Sue."
Weir is so jealous about this he almost quit skating - again. ;)

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker

Duh! Black is the new sequin/ruffle/lace this season in figure skating!

Examples:
Virtue/Moir CD + OD, Dube/Davison SP, Yuna Kim SP, Oda SP + LP, Plushenko SP + LP, Rochette SP, Alissa Czisny SP, Kozuka LP, Mirai SP, Akiko Suzuki SP and so on and on...(not that I mind)

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I think that Oda should go for clean in the short program. If he is landing a 4/3 consistently in the long then maybe it would be worth it to try it in the short program. But until then, I think that he can be in fighting distance of Plushenko in the short program with just a 3/3....I mean his long program is so superior to Plushenko's.

Tell that to the judges.

Oda needs a Quad in both the SP and LP to defeat Plushenko.

merrybari

Final Flight

I think I heard/read that he is portraying Prince Ivan NOT the firebird so black is completely within reason.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Tell that to the judges.

Oda needs a Quad in both the SP and LP to defeat Plushenko.

I say look at the scores. Plushenko only got a 157 for a free skate that had a quad and two triple axels. His program and choregraphy sucks. Oda got a 163 in France for a program with no quad.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
A little known fact but Evan is a huge fan of Johnny Cash, "The Man in Black."
(Not to be confused with the motion picture "Men in Black," parts 1 & 2)

Watch for Evan's new exhibition music this year, the old Johnny Cash standard "A Boy Named Sue."
Weir is so jealous about this he almost quit skating - again. ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::

wonderland

Rinkside
I say look at the scores. Plushenko only got a 157 for a free skate that had a quad and two triple axels. His program and choregraphy sucks. Oda got a 163 in France for a program with no quad.

You cannot compare Oda's score at TEB with Plushenko's at RC. Different judges give different scores, of course. Remember 2009 worlds? Joubert was still marked first with a mistaken SP, ahead of Canadian Chan, the judges' new favorite. I think quads really count when it comes to big competitions, like Winter Olympics.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
You cannot compare Oda's score at TEB with Plushenko's at RC. Different judges give different scores, of course. Remember 2009 worlds? Joubert was still marked first with a mistaken SP, ahead of Canadian Chan, the judges' new favorite. I think quads really count when it comes to big competitions, like Winter Olympics.

that is becuase joubert didn't double like plushy did; the point is that if Plushy score 90 with a perfect short; oda will only be seven points back with his 3/3 short; which he can make up with his cop friendly long