Pairs LP 6:25 am Saturday Eastern Time | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP 6:25 am Saturday Eastern Time

Medusa

Record Breaker
What is it with so many Russian figureskaters having such bad costumes!??!?
Honesty, I am starting to think it's a cultural thing. It might be very well possible that they think the costumes are gorgeous.

Fantastic presentation from S/Z. Incredible throw jumps. Now work on the speed till the Olympics, because they are really slow right now.

L'amour

On the Ice
there is something about Shen and Zhao skating that I love! great program, nice costumes and by far the best team in this competition

Buttercup

Record Breaker
V/M - Tatiana deserves a better partner. She is excellent, while he - well, he's done the most with his abilities, but the disparity in talent is obvious. He is useful for the lifts, however; those are always fantastic. But really, I think the best solution is for him to retire and for her to skate with Maxim Trankov, after he has one spat too many with Masha.

S/Z - it pains me to say this, but I didn't like it. They looked rustier than yesterday, the music choice was blah and the choreography was boring. They'll get a massive score, but I expect more from them.

Mikoto

Rinkside
S/Z
He slightly touched down on SBS 3T and wild landing from her on SBS 2A+2A.
Other than those minor mistakes they skated cleanly. But it's not so exciting as I expected. Oh well, this is just the begining of the season.

TCAngel18

Medalist
ok, they scored over 200 in their RETURN to competition after 2 years. if that isnt a statement to savchenko/szolkowy, i dont know what is

nylynnr

On the Ice
V/M - S/Z - it pains me to say this, but I didn't like it. They looked rustier than yesterday, the music choice was blah and the choreography was boring. They'll get a massive score, but I expect more from them.

I agree. It's difficult to tell with the feed but they looked slow.

gold12345

Medalist
I much prefer the choreography of Pang & Tong. I liked the music of Shen & Zhao a lot better than the program itself. They clearly deserved to win in this field, but I just don't love them. They looked slowww and there's something about their lifts I don't like. It's like they don't hold them long enough, and her positions have never been great. They didn't do the no-handed catch on their 3twist either.

As long as they don't make big errors, they will get massive PCS every time because they are Shen & Zhao. It's a little annoying.

That's why I think I will root for S/S to beat this, even though I don't love their programs this year either.

Last edited:

MissCleo

On the Ice
My tvu connection almost died...
What is it with so many Russian figureskaters having such bad costumes!??!?

Honesty, I am starting to think it's a cultural thing. It might be very well possible that they think the costumes are gorgeous.

It may have been Medusa or another poster that commented on the cultural differences in the costumes of eastern Europe and western countries during TEB or COR. Now, I try to think of the outrageous costumes as a mix of personal expression, art, and culture. Some costumes that I hated, I now have some respect for. For example, Lubov's SP jumpsuit. I personally would never wear that... ever. But I like how the spiral of fabric starting in the front continues down her back.. lovely. Another example, Rubleva's OD dress. A little over the top but she reminds me of a porcelain doll. With that being said, some costumes I will never be able to get over (V/M SP costume, he just looks so pudgy in that jumpsuit)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
S/Z did not look slow on my IN feed. They were not up to the speed they had before they took their break but this is their first competition. I was worried about Hongbo's stamina and I believe that their perceived slowness was deliberate so that he could pace himself. Hongbo talked about his stamina issues in an interview. I don't think Shen has a problem with stamina at all.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
ok, they scored over 200 in their RETURN to competition after 2 years. if that isnt a statement to savchenko/szolkowy, i dont know what is
I love them and am glad to have them back, but they were overscored. That LP was dull and they looked slow; the PCS should have been lower. They got a +2 on a lift, no way should that have happened. They didn't get dinged for their badly out of sync SBS spin yesterday. They are very deserving winners here and they are amazing skaters, but I would rather see them earn a 200+ rather than be given it for being Shen and Zhao.

Mikoto

Rinkside
S/Z's PCS
SS7.95 TR 8.30 PE 8.40 CH 8.50 IN 8.45 TOTAL 66.56

It seems to me judges thought their skating is not up to their fantastic(i'm not sure though) performance.

TCAngel18

Medalist
I love them and am glad to have them back, but they were overscored. That LP was dull and they looked slow; the PCS should have been lower. They got a +2 on a lift, no way should that have happened. They didn't get dinged for their badly out of sync SBS spin yesterday. They are very deserving winners here and they are amazing skaters, but I would rather see them earn a 200+ rather than be given it for being Shen and Zhao.

well, they were overscored in a way, i guess....it wasnt vintage shen/zhao, but it was still great, nonetheless...i know the cop is supposed to make it that you only skate against yourself, and the points add up, but we all know the judges do keep track of what points in pcs they give to who, and its a comparison game...if they would have scored the zhangs a little lower in pcs, and kept s/z's pcs the same, then i would agree that s/z were overscored, but in comparison to the zhangs scored, id say s/z scored about right...they actually show passion, and flow and ease of movement...and that +2 on a lift was probably the lift that had like 3 variations....

katha

On the Ice
Haven't watched this, but I wonder if this is the same as with Kim and Plushenko? Perhaps when a skater comes and basically just owns the competition the judges get generous and overscore a bit? I mean, no one was robbed here in placements and they just wanted to make a statement? It's not like S/S were never helped by rather generous scoring...