Pairs LP 6:25 am Saturday Eastern Time | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP 6:25 am Saturday Eastern Time

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I always like to get a first hand report from someone who actually saw the competition. Watching from the computer or TV screen IMO does not give a clear picture of what actually was going on.

gold12345

Medalist
well, they were overscored in a way, i guess....it wasnt vintage shen/zhao, but it was still great, nonetheless...i know the cop is supposed to make it that you only skate against yourself, and the points add up, but we all know the judges do keep track of what points in pcs they give to who, and its a comparison game...if they would have scored the zhangs a little lower in pcs, and kept s/z's pcs the same, then i would agree that s/z were overscored, but in comparison to the zhangs scored, id say s/z scored about right...they actually show passion, and flow and ease of movement...and that +2 on a lift was probably the lift that had like 3 variations....

Haven't watched this, but I wonder if this is the same as with Kim and Plushenko? Perhaps when a skater comes and basically just owns the competition the judges get generous and overscore a bit? I mean, no one was robbed here in placements and they just wanted to make a statement? It's not like S/S were never helped by rather generous scoring...

I think it's a combination of both of these things. Z/Z's PCS are too high, so they have to give S/Z extra high PCS to reflect their clear superiority over Z/Z in program components. At the same time, I feel like they would give S/Z huge PCS regardless, just because they are S/Z and "owned the competition". As Katha mentioned, nobody was robbed of placements, so I guess there's no harm in a little overscore for the clear winner. The same thing has happened with S/S. It will be so interesting when S/Z and S/S finally go head to head.

hongligl

Final Flight
Honesty, I am starting to think it's a cultural thing. It might be very well possible that they think the costumes are gorgeous.

Fantastic presentation from S/Z. Incredible throw jumps. Now work on the speed till the Olympics, because they are really slow right now.

people from the arena said their speed was crazily fast. I'll know in two weeks when I see them in SA.

I watched it on my computer, not the best quality feed but still I love their program. They made a couple of mistakes but in general it is a great program and they not only have good transitions, but also elements with new looks, which I really respect. I think they deserve the scores if one compares their score with others in the competitions this season so far. I am just happy for them.

Zhang/Zhang finally got the 2A/3T again though shaky. V/M is such a miss matched pair and I feel sorry for V. She has such talent and quality that she could be a champain with the right partner. I also feel sorry for them that they now become a recycled team of S/S, the program, the costumes, and the impressions. I loved V better as herself, more elegant and more graceful. Love the new pair from Russia, great potential. It's a pity for young pairs from China especially those in the national team. They just don't get the attention that suit their tallent as there are three better ones over there already.

Last edited:

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Great LP for Shen & Zhao!!!

I don't care much about their SP, and it was a bit overscored IMHO. S&S' SP is probably a bit better.

However, Shen & Zhao owned the free skate. I have no idea why people were saying they were slow, they were incredibly fast to me on the screen. The transitions/in-between were very nice and tight.

The most impressive thing is how many innovative elements they did in just one LP, and how much they were willing to challenge themselves at this stage of their career.

spread-eagle into 2a+2a, new
three lifts and entrance/exit, new
death-spiral, unique
spirals, unique
unique into throw 3loop
even the pair spins, not really their strong suit, but they at least attempted sth new to them.

I think Shen's positions in lifts have regressed a bit though. She needs to stretch the legs more.

SusieH

On the Ice
I loved Shen/Zhao's performance. :love: They did have some extra love from the judges but, just as others have said, it seems that this season judges tend to be very generous when one of the competitors is so far ahead from the rest of the field, such as in the cases of Yuna and Plushenko. :eek:hwell:

I did think they were a bit slow, especially in the spiral sequence. Well, the first event of the season, plus they are veterans (one is 36 and the other is soon to be 31). I hope they, with a calculated practice schedule, can peak at the Olympics (please stay healthy!)

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
I'm so happy shen & zhao are back :)
Was just taking a quick look at the protocols, for those of you who know a lot more about skating than me, what element is PSp1*? Was marked as an invalid element and get a bit curious.. :)

life684

Final Flight
I'm so happy shen & zhao are back :)
Was just taking a quick look at the protocols, for those of you who know a lot more about skating than me, what element is PSp1*? Was marked as an invalid element and get a bit curious.. :)

yes, can someone tell me why S/z and I/M both got Pairs spin as invalid element, any idea?. if they had just got base value for that element, the score would like 205 points- that would have just crowned the champion for Vancouver at Beijing.

i think S/S and S/Z are favorites for gold even with one or two mistakes. others lIke M/T, Z/Z, P/T, K/S can battle for bronze. I think the russian will get the edge for bronze if they go clean.

yqs100

On the Ice
What a wonderful come back!!

Great Job Shen Zhao!!!

well,,,at the same time,,,some people wont be too happy,,i.g ...S/S, their coach,,,,and probably some SS fans....

but whatever,,,,I really enjoy S/Z's programs!!!

yqs100

On the Ice
some people say S/Z are slow,,,,,,,,,

Compared to short track speed skating,,of course they are slow,,,,

but remember we are watching "figure skating",,,,,, at least it was almost clean,,,,,

much better than some pairs rarely had clean programs and got the overated score.....

And I have to say " IT IS STILL YOUR TIME, SHEN & ZHAO!!"

wonderland

Rinkside
They looked quite slow, compared to their past performances. I think their LP PCS are way too high. I guess the panel judges at COC probably couldn't resist the heartwarming hospitality from Chinese Organizing Committee, so they had to respond in kind.:laugh: It's premature to be overoptimistic about such results. Much work needs to be done on their programs in the days ahead.

Somehow, I feel Zhao is a little shaky in some parts of their routines. Whether he can overcome his age by feburary of 2010, we'll have to wait and see.

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Can somebody tell me why D&B's scores were so low? I feel they're at least euqal to or better than the last two seasons. Their PCS is almost down to 5s.

i love to skate

Medalist
Just watched S/Z on TV. It's nice to see them back and they are doing great for their ages! That being said this performance was very slow...especially coming out of their lifts. Overscored too.

wonderland

Rinkside
Can somebody tell me why D&B's scores were so low? I feel they're at least euqal to or better than the last two seasons. Their PCS is almost down to 5s.

Their performances were much worse than last season. Look like a brand new team.:no:

life684

Final Flight
Just watched S/Z on TV. It's nice to see them back and they are doing great for their ages! That being said this performance was very slow...especially coming out of their lifts. Overscored too.

I agree with you. their Sp was a beauty and i can see that getting better.

But their Lp :disapp:. They where slow when they were skating, but actual problem is lack of skating.They have relatively very little Ice coverage and it took them 20 secs to move outside the logo on the ice. they were not skating during the non required element, Stationary hand movements (Morozovish). Hope they won't win Olympic gold for this program in this format because it is not a life time achievement award.

S/S can still win the gold if they skate clean (That is a big if).

Saying that those two throw elements and the twist was a beauty,.

Last edited:

oxade21

Match Penalty
I was not crazy about Albinoni. After seeing all contenders, I have to say the gold in Vancouver is pretty much up for grabs to any of these teams in order of likelihood:

1. S/S
2. S/Z
3. M/T
4. Z/Z
5. P/T
6.K/S

The podium will end with any combination of those 6 teams.

Wicked

Final Flight
S&Z have it all over the others in terms of their connection to each other. It is just beautiful to watch.

V&M just do not belong with each other. I've read they're a couple off the ice, but I just can't buy these two together. They are mismatched in every way.

Z&Z must do something about the costumes. Please! Maybe- and this is a big maybe- she can keep hers, but he MUST change.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_xnqv_jQvQ

Personally, I really like this program and I really am pleased to see them back - I do hope that can enjoy the season especially the Olympics and just skate (injury and nerve free) with joy.
Emma, thanks so much!!

I don't understand the critics of this program. I think it's beautiful and passionate. Even the costumes are gorgeous (which cannot be said of their SP - Hongbo, pls do something!). The only big weakness was the sbs jumps. I guess Xue's lift positions (and facial expression - she looks nervous) could be a little better, as someone said. But on the whole, they look strong, in command, emotional, and he tosses and lifts her like a cat. Even the Russian commentators' first words were Bravo, Brava! For a first time out, great job. I can't wait to see it again in two weeks!!! :love:

(All this said, I admit that it's hard to watch them without a bit of fear. The words "geriatric case" float through my head. :laugh: But they soon sent them away with that lyrical performance.)

katha

On the Ice
Thank you for the video! I thought that Shen/Zhao were absolutely stunning. Yes, the lifts are a bit shaky and they must work on stamina and the wobbles on the sbs jumps, but the performance was fantastic. They are class and you see it the moment they step on the ice. IMO the high scores from the judges were just a recognition of the fact that they were without peers in that field. No disrespect to the other pairs, but there IS a difference between very good and great.