Pairs LP 6:25 am Saturday Eastern Time | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP 6:25 am Saturday Eastern Time

Thank you so much for linking us to this video! I echo Katha; there's a difference between good and great, and Shen and Zhao are great. They're musical, emotional, athletic, and fluid. How wonderful to see them in action again. I hope they remain healthy and strong through the World Championships, so we have many opportunities to see them.

I was tickled to hear the Russian commentators cheering for them at the end. I'd have done the same.Theirs is an excellence that belongs to the world, not just China.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I LOVE that long program that S/Z have! I've never been a fan of theirs, but WOW... this might seal the deal for me!

Hikaru

Final Flight
:rock:
Thank you for the video! I thought that Shen/Zhao were absolutely stunning. Yes, the lifts are a bit shaky and they must work on stamina and the wobbles on the sbs jumps, but the performance was fantastic. They are class and you see it the moment they step on the ice. IMO the high scores from the judges were just a recognition of the fact that they were without peers in that field. No disrespect to the other pairs, but there IS a difference between very good and great.

Agree with you. I honestly didn't expect them to be perfect right from the start, and those minor errors, knowing how perfectionist they are, I'm sure that they will work on improving speed, stamina and the execution of each element.

Emma, thanks so much!!

I don't understand the critics of this program. I think it's beautiful and passionate. Even the costumes are gorgeous (which cannot be said of their SP - Hongbo, pls do something!). The only big weakness was the sbs jumps. I guess Xue's lift positions (and facial expression - she looks nervous) could be a little better, as someone said. But on the whole, they look strong, in command, emotional, and he tosses and lifts her like a cat. Even the Russian commentators' first words were Bravo, Brava! For a first time out, great job. I can't wait to see it again in two weeks!!! :love:

(All this said, I admit that it's hard to watch them without a bit of fear. The words "geriatric case" float through my head. :laugh: But they soon sent them away with that lyrical performance.)

I love the programs and costumes. I though Xue's SP costume is great, I don't remember anything wrong with Hongbo's, may have to check a picture. I'm with you I was a bit on the edge watching them, because I want them to do well. I'm sure next time around they will feel more comfortable with it, and the program will advance with time. Overall I think they were fantastic!:rock::clap:

enlight78

Medalist
S/Z were amazingly great and beautiful; yes they had minor issues with speed and some bobbles but they were very minor; they deserved there score they should get 9's in pcs; they are gold in my eyes; best choreograph program i seen this year love the entrances and transitions;

yqs100

On the Ice
Fantastic! Shen Zhao

much better than the weird aliens or clowns hahha:chorus:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Weird aliens?? Okay I haven't seen all pairs, but I must ask... is it a program to the soundtrack of "Taken"? lol

Last edited:

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Shen/Zhao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGNte6Q6ztM

I/M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFRiOcJV8U

V/M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdmb1rurDq8

Zhang/Zhang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MtEORvR4Lk

I actually like all these LPs.

Love I/M's music. S/S skated to this music 4 years ago, it was one of their best.
I'm glad V/M have kept this program.
Zhang/Zhang's program is actually very cool with lots of original transitions, and they maintained the speed throughout. IMHO, Zhangs' programs this season are much more difficult and interesting that P/T, K/S, and M/T's. Many of the other pairs' programs are stale, simply some recycled elements & materials they've been using forever.Too bad judges don't seem to buy it.

gold12345

Medalist
But their Lp :disapp:. They where slow when they were skating, but actual problem is lack of skating.They have relatively very little Ice coverage and it took them 20 secs to move outside the logo on the ice. they were not skating during the non required element, Stationary hand movements (Morozovish). Hope they won't win Olympic gold for this program in this format because it is not a life time achievement award.

I feel similarly about S/Z's program. I didn't realize they stayed that long in the middle logo on the ice at the beginning of the program... 20 seconds is too long. After their death spiral, they spend about another 20 seconds not really covering any ice either. Granted, they have a great excuse for needing extra rest during the program since they have been out of competition for so long, but I think it negatively impacts the program overall.

Obviously, S/Z did extremely well, and many of their elements were great. But this doesn't mean every element needs to be scored through the roof. This is not S/Z's fault--they are just following the rules-- but I dislike that their death spiral in that weird, contorted position can get +2s across the board and even a +3. And their second lift, where she does a relatively weak star position with what looks like a slight knee bend gets +2s across the board and a +3. Imagine if they had received credit for their pair spin...Their total score would have been insane!

Can somebody tell me why D&B's scores were so low? I feel they're at least euqal to or better than the last two seasons. Their PCS is almost down to 5s.

They made a lot of mistakes today, they only do a 2twist, and I don't think they would get great PCS even when they skate well. I thought their marks were pretty fair for the program they delivered.

yqs100

On the Ice
I agree with you. their Sp was a beauty and i can see that getting better.

But their Lp :disapp:. They where slow when they were skating, but actual problem is lack of skating.They have relatively very little Ice coverage and it took them 20 secs to move outside the logo on the ice. they were not skating during the non required element, Stationary hand movements (Morozovish). Hope they won't win Olympic gold for this program in this format because it is not a life time achievement award.

S/S can still win the gold if they skate clean (That is a big if).

Saying that those two throw elements and the twist was a beauty,.

wah,,,although its just beginning of the season,,,I can see some people are already a bit upset seeing Shen/ Zhao come back with this high level of performance.... the score tells itself.

if ss still skate to "you'll never walk alone",,even if they are clean,,they will lose the gold....its such a boring program,,with repeating the melody three times,,with few innovations on the entries.....

nothing moves me at all,,,,,, it's kind of like zhangs' other boring long programs,,,, if ss win gold with this program? im not sure i want to watch pairs again!

and SS's costume always reminds me of those rotten bananas:rofl:

and i doubt that ss would go back to their last season program,,, as the end part of the music is adagio as well,,,will they be ok to skate to the same piece of music with shen/zhao? which im not sure,,,cause SZ apparently have more expression, connection and feeling to the music.....thats what real pairs need!

rather than like SS,,,look like two single skaters combination

yqs100

On the Ice
Weird aliens?? Okay I haven't seen all pairs, but I must ask... is it a program to the soundtrack of "Taken"? lol

well..... weird aliens,,,maybe its the program to the music of Dream Illusion,,,hmmm...personally i quite like Miss Volosozhar, she is nice and pretty,,,,i know its not her or their fault...maybe its the coach's fault....he thinks he did this weird aliens on SS successfully,,,then he did again to Miss volosozhar...:-(

i hope he wont make VM wear clowns next year

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
I just watched S/Z. I loved their LP, much more than SP. If only they polish it, it will be great, much better than S/S LP.
I think that they are not slow, there are nice transitions, and their 'weird' death spiral is the only one among weirds that I enjoy. :) Good luck in Vancouver!

enderstar

Rinkside
:laugh::laugh:OMG!I just love SZ's program!!I think their new programs are the best this season! The quality of skating.The difficulty of the linking footwork.The elegant and classical performance.What's REAL pair skating?Watch SZ's performance!
I can't wait to see the SA.The audiance in the US is the best!And i hope that SZ will give us a better performance then.!!!:laugh::laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
guys,,,stop saying S/Z were slow in the programs,,,,they were not,,..

I think SS were slower,,,the better shooting angle made them look fast in TEB,,,but they are actually almost same as SZ

e.g. when they did the twist,,,SZ took 8 seconds to complete it,,with better ice covering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lacbg4BN-k

SS took 10 seconds to complete the same thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjZX2gHZt0

You and I think S/Z were not slow but other posters do think they were slow. You can't change someone opinion of what they observed. That is what makes skating forums fun lots of different opinions some we agree some we don't and a whole lot discussion in between. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
please tell me that there aren't youtube wars gearing up in pairs now... I've had all I can handle.