Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday 4:10 am Eastern Time

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's a secret. Very glad to know you here.:)

BTW, I do appreciate your posts here, which provide some food for thought, very inspiring and insightful. Thank you very much!:agree:

It says under your name "City of Love." That is a name for Paris - a beautiful city and well known haven for culture and American -bashing. (Except for the great genious Jerry Lewis :rofl:).

BTW, I am from the "City of Brotherly Love" :laugh: Go Phillies ::clap:

fairly4

Medalist
evan--good improved artistry--you drew me in.

nobuari-- decent skate- to me first could have went either way to noburi or evan with nobuari taking the title.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Nice feathers Evan :laugh:

ETA: He also needs to cut down on the bronzer!

Evan is showing the world that America is a land of many ethnic groups, races and that we come in many colors.

But I don't think it was necessary for him to invent his own color though :laugh:

amateur

Final Flight
Unfortunately that is what i think when i watch events in north america, especially USA. I could not understand the crowd behavior at this years Us open tennis, the crowd was very hostile against players from outside US when they were playing americans. commentators are even more silly by commenting comments like welcome to New York (as if that is not a big deal)

I would say *only* USA, with regards to North American attidude here -- Canada is not much like this at all. (don't know about Mexico)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I would say *only* USA, with regards to North American attidude here -- Canada is not much like this at all. (don't know about Mexico)

Compared to Mexico - por favor, we are like the world's greatest and friendliest sportsmen.

But even if we can be over zealous supporters of our own athletes at times, we rarely beat, stab or shoot them to death as they do every single weekend all over Europe, Asia and South America at Footbal games.

Geez, what a difference - we might cheer our players on - in other parts of the world spectators are maiming and killing each other.

And I watch and read soccer/football/futbol every day and I am not offering an opinion here, this is a sad fact of much of the world's sporting scene OUTSIDE of the USA and Canada.

And no nation wants or welcomes English fans on their soil at international soccer events because they are simply the WORST!!

And better watch a little more carefully how our tennis players have been treated at the French Open over the years. Or the way Johnny Mac, after winning Wimbleton was treated very poorly by the fans, press and Tennis officials in England.

If we support our athletes it is our choice. We don't cause riots, and trample hundreds of people to death like has been done too often in Europe.

I could go on ....but not worth the trouble.

i love to skate

Medalist
And better watch a little more carefully how our tennis players have been treated at the French Open over the years. Or the way Johnny Mac, after winning Wimbleton was treated very poorly by the fans, press and Tennis officials in England.

Well John McEnroe is probably the biggest **** ever so that isn't a very good example. He brought a lot of negative attention to himself - don't dish it out if you can't take it back. Isn't that the saying?

If we support our athletes it is our choice. We don't cause riots, and trample hundreds of people to death like has been done too often in Europe.

In Canada riots do occur in some places - there were some in Montreal just two years ago after the Habs won a playoff round. There is also the famous Richard Riot which occurred in the 50s.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well John McEnroe is probably the biggest **** ever so that isn't a very good example. He brought a lot of negative attention to himself - don't dish it out if you can't take it back. Isn't that the saying?

In Canada riots do occur in some places - there were some in Montreal just two years ago after the Habs won a playoff round. There is also the famous Richard Riot which occurred in the 50s.

I am sure there have been some bad cases of fan behavior in the USA too. But not on a recurring weekly basis the way it happens in Europe.

As to Johnny Mac - we are all entitled to our own opinions. Personally I think he was one of the greatest players whoever lived and whenever he appears on court at a Grand Slam event he is warmly received. Fans remember his great talent and passion and seem to have forgiven his bratty behavior.

Are you old enough to have actually watched his career?

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Go watch a soccer/football match between Manchester City and Manchester United at Old Trafford and then tell me that booing non-home athletes is specifically an American thing. And weren't Russian figure skating fans chanting "fall fall fall" to Sasha Cohen at the Moscow worlds in 2005?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Go watch a soccer/football match between Manchester City and Manchester United at Old Trafford and then tell me that booing non-home athletes is specifically an American thing. And weren't Russian figure skating fans chanting "fall fall fall" to Sasha Cohen at the Moscow worlds in 2005?

Maria Butyrskaya's car was bombed. can't remember if they ever figured out why

i love to skate

Medalist
As to Johnny Mac - we are all entitled to our own opinions. Personally I think he was one of the greatest players whoever lived and whenever he appears on court at a Grand Slam event he is warmly received. Fans remember his great talent and passion and seem to have forgiven his bratty behavior.

Are you old enough to have actually watched his career?

Nope! However, I am a big tennis fan so I have seen enough replays of his "tantrums" so I know that he was hardly a model citizen. Even if you have all the talent in the world, it doesn't excuse you from acting with respect and in a sportsmanlike manor, IMO

Last edited:

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
OMG! Were they? I have beed there, I can't remember! I was so nervous for Sasha! I wanted her to win dispite all the fuss about Slutskaya. I think she was wonderful...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Now, come on Janetfan. Sure, there is a Hooligan scene attached to or rather free riding on some parts of the soccer scene in Europe. But just because one or two posters are handing out generalisations like candy you don't need to as well. :) Most of us over here in the old world, do not perceive Europe as a unified cultural whole like US or North America. There are huge differences between the countries, regarding audiences, fairplay and riots.

But, pray go on. I'm always interested in getting to know new perspectives and perceptions. The study of stereotypes is well worth the trouble. I can't get enough of it :)

Fair enough and sorry if my tone was too harsh. A civil discussion is always better because those of us who listen can learn things.

I am very aware of the fan violence in Europe because I have been to games in London, Prague, and Milan. For a typical American the police presense is actually very oppressive both inside and outside of the stadium and for me ruins much of the atmosphere and reason for attending a game.

Did this start with tennis?
FYI, it is a tradition at the US Open to be loud, and supportive of our players and players we like (Kim Kliisters :love: ). We are aware that this is the opposite of Wimbledon's attitude and atmosphere. It is not an accident that the US Open is the loudest and most colorful of the Tennis Grand Slams. It is also financialy the most successful GS Tennis event. I doubt that it will change anytime soon because fans just love it. I love it and think it may be loud but there is always a certain level of decorum and fairness maintained.

Last edited:

macemace1980

Rinkside
I love both Evan's and Nobunari's programmes.
But I do not understand why judges gave Evan only level2 for his steps.
It should have been at least level3!
I admire Evan very much especailly when I watch his spins.
He is very tall so doing sit spin and keeping that position must be very hard for him but his sit spin is just wonderful and beautiful!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Interesting, so Oda and Lysacek both had 7 Triples, but Lysacek 2 Triple Axels - and he still didn't make it.

Oda had 8 Triples. After singling out on the 3Axel, he turned his 2Toe in the next combination jump into a 3Toe. Smart man.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, but:

I hated Lysacek's program. His LPs for the past 3 years have basically been the exact same boring thing, just set to different music. The judges gave him slightly higher PCS than Oda's rather entertaining program too. Meh.

ks777

Record Breaker
I just saw Oda's LP on Universal sports.. am I the only one think Oda's fly was down ??

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oda had 8 Triples. After singling out on the 3Axel, he turned his 2Toe in the next combination jump into a 3Toe. Smart man.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, but:

I hated Lysacek's program. His LPs for the past 3 years have basically been the exact same boring thing, just set to different music. The judges gave him slightly higher PCS than Oda's rather entertaining program too. Meh.

I have to agree - and although Evan's SP was sort of OK - I thought the LP looked really odd at times.

But to say Oda beat a "clean" Evan today is not right either. Evan didn't fall but he was sloppy on many jumps, had trouble on a combo and probably had a deduction and to top it all off his steps were off and didn't score well.

Oda popped one 3A but otherwise was pretty clean. Evan was far from his best and the fact tha the score was relatively close is a good sign for Evan and a bad one for Oda.

Who is the ballerina that is supposed to be training Evan? Where is she from, the "Ballet Company from Hell? :laugh: