Ladies LP 2:00 AM Eastern Time Saturday | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP 2:00 AM Eastern Time Saturday

cornell08

Final Flight
I don't care if she had 5 downgrades-- Mirai's Carmen is utterly charming. Once she fixes those underrotations, she'll have the judges at the palm of her hands--- she already has the audience with her effortless charm ;)

Rats! How could Mirai be down in fifth? This is such a discouraging year for U.S. ladies. And Carolina, a favorite skater of mine, seems to be caught in a downdraft. I can't remember the last time I saw her skate a clean program.

But Suzuki sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever watched a skate of hers. It's beginning to look as if they should just allow the entire Japanese ladies' team to go to the Olympics and let a few other countries sit it out. Sigh....

i love to skate

Medalist
Glad to see Joannie pulled up for a medal. I think it may have been too much for her to travel to Japan back to Canada and then back to China within a month.

After reading some of the comments on here it sounds like she didn't land a single triple jump! Calm down. After she had that amazing performance at Japan Open people were saying she shouldn't be skating clean at this point and she was in trouble. Now that she had some difficulties here it's like sky is falling and she no longer is a contender. She still landed 6 triples! :disapp:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Glad to see Joannie pulled up for a medal. I think it may have been too much for her to travel to Japan back to Canada and then back to China within a month.

After reading some of the comments on here it sounds like she didn't land a single triple jump! Calm down. After she had that amazing performance at Japan Open people were saying she shouldn't be skating clean at this point and she was in trouble. Now that she had some difficulties here it's like sky is falling and she no longer is a contender. She still landed 6 triples! :disapp:
Heh? Nobody doomed and gloomed her. Still, her TES is 6 points less than the TES of the 4th ranked Japanese skater, who also landed only 6 Triples. What killed her today are those levels, Suzuki got everything level 4, except for the step sequence - Suzuki even got level 4 for those rather mediocre spins.

Rochette looked nervous to me. But her long is still one of my favourite long programs this season, great music, great music cut, great choreography. I also like her short program very much, unlike some people. It's one of the better Tangos out there.

I just noticed, Suzuki doesn't have a Triple Toeloop in her program! She can do it, she did it last year. Maybe she can turn the 2A-2A sequence into a 2A-3T sequence. The 2A-3T combo didn't work last year, she got always downgraded on it. But as a sequence it may work, judges and fans are always so delighted when a skater lands all five different Triples and 7 Triples overall.

i love to skate

Medalist
Heh? Nobody doomed and gloomed her. Still, her TES is 6 points less than the TES of the 4th ranked Japanese skater, who also landed only 6 Triples. What killed her today are those levels, Suzuki got everything level 4, except for the step sequence - Suzuki even got level 4 for those rather mediocre spins.

Rochette looked nervous to me. But her long is still one of my favourite long programs this season, great music, great music cut, great choreography. I also like her short program very much, unlike some people. It's one of the better Tangos out there.

If you read the earlier posts people were saying how she doubled the majority of her jumps, were wondering what had happened to her and that she was returning to the "old Rochette". That's what I was referring to.

Just read an interview with her and she said it is a good lesson for her. She's been doing too much outside of skating work and she will will cut back on that. Better that she learned that now than at the Olympics.

life684

Final Flight
Can someone please clarify what the olympic qualification criteria for japan are, do they let qualifiers for for Grand Prix finals as direct qualifiers or do they have to medal at the competition. I know something vaguely along that line for last years competitions.

ae9177

On the Ice
Congrats to all the medalists, especially Suzuki, she's a late bloomer, but she finally got her shinning moment! Well deserved! :clap:

gourry

Final Flight
Wow. Once again :eek: at the final result. Very unexpected!!!!
Congrats, Akiko, Kiira, Joannie!!
Wow. Just wow. I'm speechless.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Congrats to all the medalists, especially Suzuki, she's a late bloomer, but she finally got her shinning moment! Well deserved! :clap:

ITA and really enjoyed her WSS LP. :love:

To Medusa: maybe after winning COC Akiko will be marked more fairly at upcoming events but there is still so much favortism ,,,,,,,yech

What a difference in quality and energy between Akiko's win and Miki's win from last week. I hope Akiko can keep it up and skate her way to Vancouver.

life684

Final Flight
Loved akiko's program :rock:, did she spill coffee on her top.

on a differnt note Akiko got large eyes and got a :eek: look.

i would surely kill the cameraman of CCTV, he killed the continuity of the program. any other versions available.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Wow Mirai looked so much taller and more mature that I would have believed it if I had been told that it was her older sis!

I felt that she had a slightly greater wrap than before. Is that impression perhaps just b/c of the UR?

Great job despite some downgrades! Don't cry. You are beautiful!

Congrats to Akiko!

A bit sad for Caro.

hughgraham2

Spectator
kiira korpi

I was pleased to see Kiira Korpi win a silver in China. But what has happened to her jumps? I watched her 2006 programs, and she had a triple toe-triple toe combo, and a triple flip, and six or seven triples in her program. Now, she just does the lutz, loop and salchow. Is it because of her injuries? I hope she can do well this season and make the Olympics, as she is one of the most elegant skaters of this generation -- reminds me of a classical figure skater from another era

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am probably going to be slaughtered for this - but Suzuki's jumps remind me of Kwan's. Rather small jumps, no excessive hight, not much power - but mostly clean and neat with flow.

Akiko has listed Shae-Lynn Bourne as one of her choreographers, interesting and definitely a good choice.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I hope she can do well this season and make the Olympics, as she is one of the most elegant skaters of this generation -- reminds me of a classical figure skater from another era

I very much agree. Although her costumes have always been questionable for me (esp SP this season), her skating is extremely beautiful so is Laura's. Wonderful posture and beautiful stroking. There is something about these ladies' skating.

Mikoto

Rinkside
Akiko was stunning. She just came out of nowhere and BAM! Welcome to the champions' circle! :clap:

And such a beautiful young lady.

I even liked her costume. It Americanized her for that most American of music choices.

FYI, Akiko's costume was designed by Shizuka.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Loved akiko's program :rock:, did she spill coffee on her top.

on a differnt note Akiko got large eyes and got a :eek: look.

i would surely kill the cameraman of CCTV, he killed the continuity of the program. any other versions available.

I noticed that too. I think she is a bit crosseyed.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Akiko has listed Shae-Lynn Bourne as one of her choreographers, interesting and definitely a good choice.
Have you seen Shae-Lynn's short program for Jeremy?? :love: She is shaping up to be a top choreographer.

ETA: Congrats to Suzuki!! I hope to see her in the finals!

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
Sorry folks who used to say Rachael should be on the team because she can consistently be relied on to put out clean 7 triple programs--- but now she's got neither consistency nor interesting programs. Last one I really enjoyed was her 2008 silver winning free program at Nationals. She now doesn't even seem to have consistency and fully-rotated jumps to boast of, and I don't see much improvement in her speed. Definitely see Mirai, Ashley better than her this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sorry folks who used to say Rachael should be on the team because she can consistently be relied on to put out clean 7 triple programs--- but now she's got neither consistency nor interesting programs. Last one I really enjoyed was her 2008 silver winning free program at Nationals. She now doesn't even seem to have consistency and fully-rotated jumps to boast of, and I don't see much improvement in her speed. Definitely see Mirai, Ashley better than her this season.

Flatt is not a machine. I don't expect her to be perfect all the time, and especially not at the beginning of the season. Let's see what happens at SA first.