Countdown to Sasha's Return | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Countdown to Sasha's Return

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Precisely, but of course most of us can see it coming. Time to move on!

No, not yet. First we all have to by our tickets to Nationals because Sasha MIGHT just be there. :biggrin:

Though truthfully, the men's event alone will be worth the price of the ticket.

Though truthfully, the men's event alone will be worth the price of the ticket.

Ladies, too. Although the U.S. ladies will not be favorites to win a medal at the Olympics, winning the U.S. championship and/or making the Olympic team will be a huge achievement and honor for someone. This is the first time in years (ever?) that there is not one or two clear favorites. It's all up for grabs among five or six equally matched athletes. I think it will be a great competition -- even better in the unlikely event that Sasha shows.

Does anyone think the USFSA might now be pressuring Sasha NOT to compete at Nationals? If she wins, they might be afraid of another Olympic debacle like Michelle in 2006, in light of her injury.

I'm not given to conspiracy theories, but I could actually imagine this. They wouldn't have to force her or anything, just keep reminding her how much is riding on those two at the Olympics... and how much they would rather see one of the young 'uns there. (That's how it works in Bette Davis movies. All it takes is an unsubtle hint. She's no dummy. :cool:)

OTOH, they can always have an understudy warming up in the wings, like Emily last time.

Some people talk darkly of the USFSA but I've never heard such rumors confirmed from anyone who seemed knowledgeable. I wonder how much they really try to control who goes to Worlds or the Olympics.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Does anyone think the USFSA might now be pressuring Sasha NOT to compete at Nationals? If she wins, they might be afraid of another Olympic debacle like Michelle in 2006, in light of her injury.

no way. If Sasha shows at Nationals ticket sales go up three fold and TV ratings also rise. They would rather have her take the gold anyday over one of these youngsters who have yet to prove themselves.
And how was 2006 an "olympic debacle?" it is not like a big name got kicked off the team because of Michelle. Sasha was the favorite, she won nats and came in as the fav with Irina. Michelle was the sentimental can "can she finally do it" candidate (like sasha would be now), and when Emily got the chance to go, she had a good attitude about it and skated with no pressure.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

There is no need for pressure. The USFSA has stated they will use several international events, as well as Nationals, to pick the Olympic team. Even if Sasha wins Nationals, the USFSA could leave her off the team and be within the rules.

A few of us have been going over the mathamatics of the Grand Prix Final. If all our eigenvectors are correct, there will be exactly one American lady in the Final. Who that is has yet to be determined. That lady will have an advantage come time to pick the team.

That lady will have an advantage come time to pick the team.

...if she does well at the Grand Prix finals. The rules do not say anything about just making the finals. Same with last years worlds. Rachael got 5th, but she did not show that she can skate with the top guns. Caroline's performance at last years's Four Continents and team trophy don't count, as I read the rules.

I think it will be a clean slate, come Nationals, unless Ashley Wagner does something remarkable. Right now I do not see any upside at all for the USFSA to jigger the Olympic team.

If Sasha gets first or second at Nationals, I cnanot think of any reason in the world not to put her on the Olympic team. If she doesn't, I do not see any reason to put her on. As TinyMavy said about Toriino, putting Michelle on the team, even though she later had to withdraw -- far from being a debacle, everything turned out for the best for all concerned.

I don't think the USFSA will start playing mind games this year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But this is also the first time that there are no clear favorites. IMHO, the pick this year is not obvious at all, while it was in previous years...

I assume that Cohen won't bother with a petition- I don't think it would do her much good anyway, not having skated for 4 years AND being injured.

no way. If Sasha shows at Nationals ticket sales go up three fold and TV ratings also rise. They would rather have her take the gold anyday over one of these youngsters who have yet to prove themselves.
And how was 2006 an "olympic debacle?" it is not like a big name got kicked off the team because of Michelle. Sasha was the favorite, she won nats and came in as the fav with Irina. Michelle was the sentimental can "can she finally do it" candidate (like sasha would be now), and when Emily got the chance to go, she had a good attitude about it and skated with no pressure.
Maybe you're correct. I was just getting into figure skating then, but wasn't there a lot of controversy on the boards around Michelle's getting a bye to the Olympics? I thought the USFSA took a lot of heat for that since it didn't work out. At least enough to keep them from wanting to repeat the same story in 2010.

kandidy

Final Flight
Very fast response from Jenny. Although I am big fan of Sasha, I can't help agree with her writing.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I like the way Jenny gives the reader experiential information about how the specific injury that Sasha suffers from may affect her skating.

I agree that Sasha's attendance at Nationals has become extremely unrealistic even though it might take another two months for her to announce it. I think that SA was the very last chance for her to come back.

Along with this, even if Cohen is fully recovered by Nationals and her injury isn’t as debilitating as it appears........I were to say that there’s a new skater whose been away from competitive skating for almost four years, has missed her fall competitions because of an injury and is coming to Nationals with two new programs and a history of inconsistency,.....

I wonder what she has gained and lost by this comeback quest. I hope that she would be satisfied with the fact that she has at least tried despite the injury.

ETA: Actually, she may want to make an announce soon and move onto something else instead of spending two more months. The more seriously one thinks about making the Olympic team, the less reasonable this quest would look like at this point of time. I think that Sasha herself would be more aware of all the issues Jenny pointed out than anyone else.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Jennifer's analysis on difficulty skating with tendinitis in the right calf.
http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/

She ends with a conclusion I came up with months ago, but it's nice to get the inside perspective. This only confirms that she is all but finished.

I wonder what she has gained and lost by this comeback quest. I hope that she would be satisfied with the fact that she has at least tried despite the injury.

Well, as they say, better to fail then to not try at all. At least now she knows that she couldn't have done it, instead of not doing it and wondering what if for years to come. I think she will come to the Kwan realization that the Olympics really aren't everything, then hang up her skates and pursue different avenues. She seems to have a lot of outside interests anyway. I do think she will continue to skate professionally in the near future, perhaps to make some sort of living. I expect such an announcement in December, probably around Christmas time, rather than on Jan 21st for example. I don't think she can afford to pull another last-minute stunt, certainly not before an event like Nationals.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I do think she will continue to skate professionally in the near future, perhaps to make some sort of living. I expect such an announcement in December, probably around Christmas time, rather than on Jan 21st for example. I don't think she can afford to pull another last-minute stunt, certainly not before an event like Nationals.
Would you think that another last-minute WD hurts her reputation in the skating world to the extent that it may affect her pro skater career?

In any case, the sooner she makes an announcement, the easier it becomes for her to go back to professional skating or to do whatever she wants. The longer she stays there, the more inquiry from the media and fans she has to deal with.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Would you think that another last-minute WD hurts her reputation in the skating world to the extent that it may affect her pro skater career?

Since she has done lots of shows before without flaking out at the last minute, no, at least from a business perspective. What it might do, though, is turn many fans against her. I've also been reading Sashafans and it's really struck me how many of even her most loyal, patient fans seem almost fed up with her from the way she's handled these two WDs, and I think a third one might be that last pushing point for them to turn on her. I guess it'll be like she used poor judgement on the comeback to get their hopes up, and just as they are gearing up for the comeback high, bam comes the WD announcement.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Since she has done lots of shows before without flaking out at the last minute, no, at least from a business perspective. What it might do, though, is turn many fans against her. I've also been reading Sashafans and it's really struck me how many of even her most loyal, patient fans seem almost fed up with her from the way she's handled these two WDs, and I think a third one might be that last pushing point for them to turn on her. I guess it'll be like she used poor judgement on the comeback to get their hopes up, and just as they are gearing up for the comeback high, bam comes the WD announcement.

Agreed. The last minute WDs for chronic pain were not very considerate to other skaters.

Jennifer Kirk writes a good blog and she makes some very sound points about this. But I'm not sure I would look for the final word on Sasha's chances from a skater who spent her whole career competing against Sasha. That doesn't exactly answer my understanding of journalistic objectivity. ;)

That said, this is a very tough time for Sasha. She can't control her body's healing and she's getting a lot of heat on the boards. It must be lonely.

If I were in her position, this is not the time I would give up. She has put too much into this comeback. I don't see any reason at all not to keep hope alive as long as possible. She can withdraw the week before Nationals if she has to. THEN she'll know she gave it her best shot - not before.

I always remember Hongbo Zhao skating at the last Olympics - 2006 -after tearing his Achilles tendon. According to Wikipedia, it was injured at Worlds (spring 2005) then ruptured weeks later; they missed a whole season and didn't start to train until a few weeks before the Olympics. We know what happened there, and since then. :rock:

Sasha and Hongbo are two different athletes - but at this level, top athletes are trying to remake the laws of the body. Some of them manage to do it. Things are not looking good for Sasha, but there's still hope. :agree:

Last edited: