Honk If You LIKED Kwan's Tosca Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Honk If You LIKED Kwan's Tosca Program

Honk if you like Bynx's signature picture.

HONK!!!!

Can you give me a URL to a full sized version of that?

Mathman:love:

Hornblower

Rinkside
As a middle-aged classically inclined musician I found plenty to make me say "Wow!" The music has plenty of dramatic ebb and flow to it, a point that may not be obvious to everyone. Many who unlike myself were not exposed to classical music from infancy may not appreciate it immediately, and just need some time and repeated hearings to let it grow on them. Michelle highlighted the finer points of the music beautifully, and visually expressed the "angst" moments convincingly without resorting to hair-pulling or exaggerated arm movements. I would say that she surpassed Irina in this respect. I agree that some of the choreography seemed sparse, but it can be filled out with some additional well chosen connecting moves over the next few weeks. In addition, about 1:05 into the program there is an inner climax in the music at which a 3loop could be added in the midst of a currently uneventful stretch. As it was, she highlighted the music nicely with a hand gesture.

It has been argued by some that Michelle's costume does not fit the theme of the music. I would argue that this brief excerpt of orchestral mood music, with no lyrics, does not explicitly tell any specific story as used here, and that there is no real need to match the look of the character on the opera stage. What we need is a positive psycho/audio/visual contribution to the overall presentation. To this end Michelle is giving us an elegant display of feminine beauty, sexy but not outrageously so, at least as I see it.

A valid question is that of whether or not the color of the costume is harmonious with Michelle's skin and hair tones. A reliable evaluation on TV or online photos is difficult because the technical limitations of color video and film make these pastels hard to reproduce accurately. Some viewers who said the costume looked splendid in person reported that the video does not do it justice.

Overall I was delighted with what Michelle showed us this time, and I am really looking forward to seeing her again at the coming competition early in December, and at Nationals.:love:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank you, Hornblower..........your post gave me a new dimension to her "Tosca" for me to consider..........off to rewatch my tape of Campbell's..............42

Great post, Hornblower and welcome to GS. I'll have more to listen and watch for with Michelle's "Tosca." BTW, I saw it live and neither photos nor TV do the costume color justice for the very reasons you mentioned.
Rgirl

Hey Hornblower - Welcome to the fold.

While your entire post was a great read, I have to disagree with you on the music having plenty of dramatic ebb and flow to it. Dramatic, yes, ebb and flow questionable.

From my viewing of 12 Toscas, and still counting, I can only say that the only lyric piece in the entire opera is the first scene when Tosca and Caravadossi are billing and cooing while he paints the madonna on the wall which just happens to look like Tosca.

The rest of the Opera is nothing but drama. It is dark music throughout even Tosca's lyrical aria Vise D'Arte is sung in despondency.

The dark music throughout is exactly what I meant what the problem was to get the skater into sportslike competition. It'll be tough for MK to bring down the house, so to speak. as she did in DC Worlds.

You are correct, she will not play the title role but give the essence of Tosca which is to be a diva and MK can do that. I agree the dress has nothing to do with it.

Let's hope I am wrong about Tosca and skating.

Joe

jozmen01

Rinkside
Honk

Definite HONK.

MK has much more to bring to this program - don't feel it was skated to it's full potential. Just like most of her other programs, by Nationals & Worlds, it will have much more to offer.

I was so glad she didn't have a headache or give me one while watching it.