Ladies SP 5:05AM EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP 5:05AM EST

Ginask8s

On the Ice
It was pretty messy and her coach looked really mad. When they walked backstage she kind of looked at him and he seemingly ignored him . They then walked in different directions. .

R.D.

Record Breaker
First off, Nice job by Wagner (that was a pleasant surprise, even though it's a virtual tie)

but it looks from the scores that everyone was rather bleh. I thought Ando would have a sizable lead, though (based on how she was scored in Russia)

I think she'll end up winning anyway. But Wagner now has a VERY GOOD opportunity to make the GPF. All she needs is to medal and she's in the hunt. That said, if she does make it I think she'll struggle to be competitive with the field- her scores haven't been particularly impressive (mid-50s for the SP and < 110 for a clean LP performance??)

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
It definitely was not her worst performance ever. I actually enjoyed it more than at CoR, I liked her expression, speed and cool running steps right after 3F.

However, I can see why Miki could be very disappointed with her performance. Yes, she has had worse showings, but when they happened, Miki usually was badly out of shape (Olympics), sick with stomach flu (GPF 06) or battling an injury (all the other cases). Because of that she might had been not expecting much of herself and was glad just to get through her programs.

Today, however, Miki was reported to be in a really good shape in practices. she even landed 3-3s and 2A-3T. Furthermore, she really wanted to skate this program perfectly - it's a program dedicated to her deceased father. Miki said that she wanted to skate it with a feeling that her dad is looking at her from heaven.
After doing mistakes on elements that she executed perfectly in practice she might feel that she let her father (and herself) down.

I don't think she's looking through rose-tinted glasses. If anything, she's looking through black-tinted ones on today's SP. She has always been very critical of her own skating.

ITA :)

Miki can be very critical of herself.

Except for the fall, I really enjoyed this SP, and I liked her expression during the performance.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Poor Miki... I wonder what is causing her to be unable to perform as she wanted to. She's probably upset that she couldn't perform like during practice. I always remember her tears when she had to withdraw from the 2008 Worlds... that really made me empathize with her. She is vulnerable and emotional under her normally stoic face. That's when she won me over. I hope she will do better in the free to make her feel better. It's also sad that she wanted to do well for her deceased father as the SP is dedicated to him. I wish her the best but I still want Ashley to do well. Does that make sense? :scratch:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Miki looked so beautiful, alive, energetic, confident and all the rest of it in the practice clip (and she often does in practices -like LA Worlds where fortunately she did just as fab in the comp). She was fast and the jumps fantastic. Last night, even from the moment she appeared in the 6-minute warmup she just looked different. To UR her lutz is so uncharacteristic of her (and lucky it was called UR) and her posture and speed didn't look as good as it did in the practice.

Like I could tell all this from a 1-minute long practice clip :biggrin: But this is what I observed.

I'm disappointed as I think she can do much much better- And she seems to think likewise.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Tweet from Ashley Wagner:chorus::

Short wasn't too bad, it wasn't my best though..I cheated a double axel! lol That is SO hard to do, so in a way I'm proud of myself :p

LMAO.

Ashley is great.

Also, I'll have to re-watch that Axel. I didn't notice a problem.

magicalwords

On the Ice
From the PBP I suppose Sarah Meier did not too bad, but looking at her score I'm like WTH happened.. that's the second lowest TES for ladies so I wonder what happened. I guess I'll need to watch her SP (and wait for protocols). Hope she can bring her best in LP!

Anyway, Ashley in first is a pleasant surprise. :)