Men's LP Ice Network broadcast Sat. Nov. 7, 1:55 a.m EST | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Ice Network broadcast Sat. Nov. 7, 1:55 a.m EST

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Guilty as charged.
Everyone does it, and not just in Joubert's case. Wasn't there a thread a few days ago about Kim, Plushenko and Shen/Zhao as the sure gold medal winners in Vancouver? I'd say Kim is extremely probable, but that's as far as I'd go.

With Joubert, the exact same thing happened last year. Nobody seemed to think he could win CoR, just as he was written off this year for NHK - in the prediction thread here, Bennett was the only one who called it for Joubert (I declined to predict anything except ice dance :p).

ae9177

On the Ice
After the very exciting SP, I have to say that tonight's LP was VERY Disappointed. It showed once again that 'big name' doesn't count, it's the good performance that counts.

The only guy that amazed me was Brezina. :love: This kid has so much talent, will he become the next big star in men's FS? I hope so! :yes:

schiele

Final Flight
Everyone does it, and not just in Joubert's case. Wasn't there a thread a few days ago about Kim, Plushenko and Shen/Zhao as the sure gold medal winners in Vancouver? I'd say Kim is extremely probable, but that's as far as I'd go.

With Joubert, the exact same thing happened last year. Nobody seemed to think he could win CoR, just as he was written off this year for NHK - in the prediction thread here, Bennett was the only one who called it for Joubert (I declined to predict anything except ice dance :p).

Way to go playing it safe with the predictions! :laugh:
Well I can suck on my words during the actual event though, given Jouby's past OC performances.
Someone mentioned a while ago that Plushenko's presence is good for Joubert. I think that's very true, I think Joubert knew Plushenko would always be on top form and tried his best in every competition no matter what. I am still sceptical about these calculated LP jump layout changes by him..
And sorry for the EC podium mistake, of course he's on it since 2002.. SUch a silly mistake by me.. Bad Joubert fan, bad.. :)

schiele

Final Flight
After the very exciting SP, I have to say that tonight's LP was VERY Disappointed. It showed once again that 'big name' doesn't count, it's the good performance that counts.

The only guy that amazed me was Brezina. :love: This kid has so much talent, will he become the next big star in men's FS? I hope so! :yes:

If he can also add a quad to his repertoir, he may be the next Verner, maybe with even much better consistency..Nevertheless I think he needs to find his persona on the ice a bit more..

katha

On the Ice
Congrats to Michal, Johnny and Brian! :clap:

Much better competition than the ladies. Brezina has so much promise, he just needs to find a more distinctive personality for himself IMO. Good for Johnny for rallying after his disappointing first GP. And again surprised how much I enjoyed Joubert. That was just brilliant! Music and choreography suit him perfectly and if he can skate it well and with confidence this could definitely be a winner for him. :) He still looks very tense in his reactions before and after his skating, though, but I guess it's just utopian to expect the skaters to be relaxed and just having a good time in an Olympic year...

My post did not get posted so I'll repeat it here.

Michal in a class with Browning and Curry. He will have it all after Olys and onto those Worlds and a definite win at Socci.

Brian Best performance since Double OH Seven. If he keeps up the musicality which were lacking all those years, he will be THE gold contender with Evgeni.

Johnny is now a true Russian skater. Gone are the days of Priscilla, Otonal and the swans. however, imo, hardly enough to contend with Evgeni since there are no new elements.

Daisuke. Nice having him back and with such a good program, but he needs to put something of himself into that routine. It looks like 'do as the choreographer told you'.

Adam. Also good routine but not enough of him in it.

Jeremy A. One of the best programs I've seen in a long time, and he skated it well save the stumbles and falls. If he cleans it up he should win US Nats if Evan leaves out his quad. JMO

btw. Has anyone yet made the GP Final in Men's besides Nobunari? We may be counting highest scores to see who make it. Keep your eye on SA and SC and Brezina.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
btw. Has anyone yet made the GP Final in Men's besides Nobunari? We may be counting highest scores to see who make it. Keep your eye on SA and SC and Brezina.

Brian(now in second place) is safely in GPF with 24 points. Only four guys can beat him; Verner and Lysacek have 13 points and can get 15/13 each in skate America. Daisuke and Samuel have 9 points. Only one of them can win in Canada and make 24 points while Brezina (now 11 points) can make 24 points with silver.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I went to bed after/during Chipeur's performance - I was too tired to keep going, so some thoughts after watching Youtube.

1. Whither Canada? For the most part, the number one slots are locked into Chan, Rochette, D/D and V/M (only D/D need to fear a challenge, imo), but the second slot to the Olympics? Is it gonna go to who skates the best (of the rest), or who makes the fewest mistakes. Right now, it seems like the latter (particularly in mens and pairs). What happened to Chipeur? His jumps are crazy: high, fast but also very wild. Last in the FS in both GP events for a guy who made the top twelve at worlds last year? Not good. J. Ten doesn't really appeal to me.

2. Wierd to think the top scores in FS were without a triple-triple combination. People were worried about it being dropped from the womens event as very few ladies have one. Who would think that Joubert wouldn't have one?

3. Brezina had the highest base score - .63 above Joubert, but he smashed him on the TES by about eight points. Very good GP debut indeed. I hope he makes the finals just because he missed out last season's JGP due to injury.

4. I don't care for Joubert pushing all three combos to the last half, especially since the points he's losing for not including a 3-3 aren't outweighed by the benefit of a (1.1)3-2 combo. I prefered his short program, I think. The things that bug me about him are emphasized in the long. Sorta boring, truth be told. Ended solidly. His score still behind Oda and Plushenko. But hey, he won his first long program in there years, so kudos.

5. Do deep competitions inspire nerves? Ladies TEB was also a disappointment despite looking awesome on paper.

6. Wier's program has potential and I liked what I saw. If he skates it cleanly, I can imagine him doing well with it. And I didn't think that at CoR.

7. I figured Abbott would have issues with his long as its newer to him (compared to his short), but ouch. Could be quite good eventually. Cute reaction at the end (both the comical grimace and "wouldn't want to peak at my first competition").

8. Poor Dai and Takahiko. I just want Dai to skate like he did at 4CC 2008 one more time. Just once. At the Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I call the little one puppies. Rippon-puppy. Brezina-puppy. Taka-puppy. Artem-puppy. It's completely innocent, I assure you.

it's also a very big skating tradition... Scott Hamilton talks about the concept in his book.... and tells a story on Boitano and Wylie getting him back for calling them puppies.

fairly4

Medalist
all i can say is -let the battle begin for the gold medal.
all the men are fighting for it. if this keeps up the skating at the olympics will rock.

James R

Match Penalty
once again that 'big name' doesn't count, it's the good performance that counts.

Um... what? Joubert was boosted in PCS. Not saying he shouldn't have won, but once again favoritism is displayed and the hypocritical nature of CoP revealed.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Jeremy A. One of the best programs I've seen in a long time, and he skated it well save the stumbles and falls. If he cleans it up he should win US Nats if Evan leaves out his quad. JMO

yay Joe! you're back!!! I so agree with your assessment of Jeremy's program. It's by far the best choreographed of all men's programs, and other than the missing jumps he did everything else quite well. Even though jumps weren't there, I was quite happy to see that he was so much more at ease with the program than he was at Japan Open. Hopefully he'll land those jumps...and then the OGM will be his!

isk82

On the Ice
I just watched Johnny's skate on youtube. I'm so happy he had such a good skate. He is such a beautiful skater. Complete. I so hope for him that he can put it all together when he needs to this year.

lcd

Match Penalty
PCS marks from this event just baffle. It's old "placement" all over. Why there isn't more divergence in the marks when there is such an obvious divergence in PCS "abilities" is just ... so... demoralizing.

Wicked

Final Flight
Aww, at least Jeremy's optimistic, he said "At least I didn't peak at my first competition"

...and then dropped the f-bomb when he saw his scores :)

Jeremy's New Year's resolution was to stop swearing so much in the K&C.

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was Brian's costume ripped in the back?

I believe the PCS scores have the same result as the old 6.0 scores. They keep the favorites in tact when the Tech goes awry.

Michal jumped from 6th place SP to 2nd place in the LP He was less than l pt behind Brian's Tech to finish in 3rd place overall. It was Brian's PCS that got him his win.

Johnny was fine, and at his present best, but below Brian and Michal in PCS to win silver because of his SP.

Johnny is in the Final
Brian is most likely
Michal is iffy.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny is in the Final
Brian is most likely
Michal is iffy.

You mean Brian is in the Final for sure and Johnny is most likely, right?

Jeremy's New Year's resolution was to stop swearing so much in the K&C.

Were my eyes deceiving me, or was Brian's costume ripped in the back?

I love Abbott's skating, but hate his clown style at K&C.

I believe Brian's costume was designed that way. I prefer his new SP costume much more.

Last edited: