Pairs LP IN broadcast 12:15 a.m.: EST Nov. 7th | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP IN broadcast 12:15 a.m.: EST Nov. 7th

evangeline

Record Breaker
Excellent recovery by K/S, but that fall on the throw 4S (?) looked incredibly painful....did her head bounce on the ice?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
looks like she wasn't all the way around on the landing and hit a toepick/twofooted it and crash

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The first throw. She looked like she landed horizontally and it looked like it hurt. They took the break shortly thereafter. The rest of their program was surprisingly well skated, considering. 124ish.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Omg, I felt so sorry for her when she landed on her elbow during that throw triple jump, and they had to take a 3 min. timeout. I knew something was wrong, she kept shaking her arm to try to make it stop tingling & come awake!

Lady pair skaters are the toughest skaters out there IMHO, and incidents like these just make me appreciate them so much more!!!!!!!:bow::thumbsup:

Lovely program except for that horrid fall at the beginning, as mentioned, but I feel if they really got a program complete with costumes & choreography to fit their style they would be simply unbeatable!

She's way too precious to let anything happen to her.

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
Kavaguchi / Smirnov, RUS

throw 4s? hard fall
stopped.. is she hurt?
surely must have hurt her shoulder or elbow there?
she is not wincing or grimacing at all, just stonefaced

they resume after 2 minutes to shake it off
.. and of course go on to nail everything else in the program.. that is something of a tradition in pairs skating by now, is it not?

what a disjointed program! and cheesy orchestration of the 2nd half! i think it has the potential to end up enjoyable, but it depends on them managing to pull off their tricks in a way that does not look like "trying hard tricks", being smoother and more joyous in their presentation. Not sure they will get quite there

124.15 -- easily 2nd

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
And they win the silver medal with a new SB score, what courage & guts!!!!!!!!!!:clap::bow::cool::love:

gold12345

Medalist
Wow, K/S's score is RIDICULOUSLY inflated. It's like the Pairs event today was so tragic that the judges were just dying to score someone high.

what a disjointed program! and cheesy orchestration of the 2nd half!

Yes, it's a little cheesy, but Yuko comes across as a bit cheesy on the ice to me. It's so weird how sophisticated their SP is, and then their LP is so goofy.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Wow, K/S's score is RIDICULOUSLY inflated. It's like the Pairs event today was so tragic that the judges were just dying to score someone high.

SHUT UP, K/S are finally getting deserving scores!!!!!:rock:

However I agree that the judges in Japan are very generous, except for ladies.

evangeline

Record Breaker

To be honest, I think part of it was sort of sympathy marks for doing so well after that horrendous fall, like Z/Z at the Olympics.

You know, for "courage" and all that.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
K/S have some very good tricks but their overall skating is not my cup of tea.
Huge gap between the the top two and the US skaters.

Congrats to the podium finishers. I am happy that I/B medaled.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OMG! I'm a nervous wreck. This whole pairs LPs have been disasters waiting to happen. Also I grew up in Japan. I really feel for Yuko Kawaguchi. Her fall looked really painful. I'm glad she didn't give up though. You see a person's true character under an adversary condition like that. Ata girl!

Let me have a break...hope men's LPs are more relaxing!

amateur

Final Flight
Yes, it's a little cheesy, but Yuko comes across as a bit cheesy on the ice to me. It's so weird how sophisticated their SP is, and then their LP is so goofy.

I haven't watched their SP yet -- thanks for reminding me, off to do that now! (another excuse to look at Smirnov is always welcome too ;-) )
I did really like their SP from last season, but yeah, they can't seem to hold that same level of sophistication fron the duration of an LP :laugh:

Trevorgao

Rinkside
Good job for PT, although quite a lot of movements are not yet their best. throws, spins, even twist is a little shaky at the landing. But emontionally GORGEOUS! surprising that their PCS is lower than at RC...

Sorry for KS, it was a really painful fall. She looked so calm. Great that she could pull out all the stops to deliver a clean program after the fall. very couragous.

amateur

Final Flight
Is the deduction 2 points for stopping and resuming the program? (they had -3 total deductions).. I think it should be more like -5... for disrupting the flow, for getting an "unfair" breather... and also to counterbalance any sympathy PCS the skater might end up getting!

Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice

totally agree with you!!! K/S is overrated....... Miss Kawaguchi can be awarded "the best worst drama"........ never enjoy any of their programs,,,their expression is a bit over the top....

some people said "If Kawaguchi didnt fall,," ,,,its competition, not soap opera,,dont have too many "IF" out there,,,,,

have a look the score details.....the last judge must be blind or daydreaming......

Well Done! Pang/ Tong,,,another good performance,,,not perfect,,,but good enough!

Looking forward to seeing them in Tokyo!!!:clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder if they'd taken the full three minutes they'd have gotten -1 for the fall and -3 for excess interruption (like a point taken off for every minute?)