Free Dance IN broadcast Nov. 7th 11:00 PM EST | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance IN broadcast Nov. 7th 11:00 PM EST

herios

Medalist
I liked their last year's FD better, but they've now got an amazing OD, and they are very convincing in the POTO.
--------
The medal ceremony is about to start.

I am in the same camp, loved Samson and Delilah, this is too hectic and they are acting like someone is chasing them around the rink, a lot of running, less dancing

gourry

Final Flight
Yay!!! Congratulations, Meryl, Charlie!!!:love::love:
I still love S&D more but Phantom is surely growing on me.:yes:

And the Kerrs! They are a bit rough but so fresh and unique. I love their FDs three years in a row!:love:

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Can somebody tell me why D/W scored so much higher than Kerrs? I just don't get it... Kerrs look much more appealing to me. D/W do not have clean/long lines, and they're quite sloppy to my untrained eyes.:bow:

Ice dancing is always a mystery to me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
love teh slow section of POTO, the rest I can do without... no time for emoting or anything... booooorrrriiiinnnnnnngggggg

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Can somebody tell me why D/W scored so much higher than Kerrs? I just don't get it... Kerrs look much more appealing to me. D/W do not have clean/long lines, and they're quite sloppy to my untrained eyes.:bow:

Ice dancing is always a mystery to me.

More difficulty & complexity in the steps? Higher levels on the elements?

It's all in the protocols ;)

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn09/gpjpn09_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Oh, and higher goes, of course!

The gala starts in one hour.

Last edited:

Enthusiast

On the Ice

That's exactly one of my many problems with D/W, and I have a lot of problems with them, a LOT. however, they've improved since last season. Unfortunately i feel they are now Igor's favorite team. Oh well, not entirely unexpected, i mean, he needs a team to push b/a off the top spot at Nationals, I can picture them squashing V/M and B/A at GPF:eek:hwell::eek:hwell::no::disapp:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
More difficulty & complexity in the steps? Higher levels on the elements?

It's all in the protocols ;)
I think the question was, how do they get those scores from the judges, not what the scores are. I must say, D/W's marks often leave me confused as well.

With the caveat that I couldn't watch NHK, I have to wonder, can those GOEs and extremely high PCS be warranted? When I see them skate, I usually see a very fast and technically strong team, but like lakeshore, they often look sloppy to me, and their speed doesn't always make their skating look better - sometimes it just looks uncontrolled and almost frantic. I also don't find them as strong as some teams when it comes to musical expression.

I think this is the first time the Kerrs have gotten more than a bronze at a GP. So well done to them and to all the medalists! :clap:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
------------------------------
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yup Hsuhs me too. I love them and I don't care what people think

sfgirl

On the Ice
That's exactly one of my many problems with D/W, and I have a lot of problems with them, a LOT. however, they've improved since last season. Unfortunately i feel they are now Igor's favorite team. Oh well, not entirely unexpected, i mean, he needs a team to push b/a off the top spot at Nationals, I can picture them squashing V/M and B/A at GPF:eek:hwell::eek:hwell::no::disapp:

They may be Igor's favorite team, but I think V/M are Marina's favorite.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
With the caveat that I couldn't watch NHK, I have to wonder, can those GOEs and extremely high PCS be warranted? When I see them skate, I usually see a very fast and technically strong team, but like lakeshore, they often look sloppy to me, and their speed doesn't always make their skating look better - sometimes it just looks uncontrolled and almost frantic. I also don't find them as strong as some teams when it comes to musical expression.

They were good today.

The Kerrs are sloppy too.

What else is there to say?

I can picture them squashing V/M

I can't!

lakeshore

Match Penalty
I With the caveat that I couldn't watch NHK, I have to wonder, can those GOEs and extremely high PCS be warranted? :

I rarely watch ice dancing. I found today's ice dancing is so different than, let's say, Grishuk & Platov era. You always had those beautiful dancers with long lines doing dance. I mean the world champions these days? Albena & Maxim ? The French? The Russians? Well, all these pairs are very strangely built and terribly mismatched. I just don't get it.

Just compare Grishuk & Platov's Libertango with Albena & Maxim', the gap is day and night. :love::love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mVexkUXy3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8DD1hCvdg

missysays

On the Ice
I can picture them squashing V/M and B/A at GPF:eek:hwell::eek:hwell::no::disapp:

I can't see this happening either.

Though I do believe that they could very well win the OD over V/M and B/A this year- if they skate well. The judges really, reallly like their OD- rightfully so.

GPF is going to be an extremely interesting competition this year if all teams show up healthy. Then we'll really see if D/W's scores hold up under head to head competition- I somehow don't think they will.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congrats to Meryl and Charlie. I am so pleased for them.

Their marks today are in line with the marks from Rostelecom Cup. This is the third competition with similar scores so it isn't a flash in the pan!

I enjoy their POTO. The performance is over in a flash, while some of the dances tonight seemed to drag on forever.

Also congrats to the Kerrs. They are a joy to watch and it is nice they are being rewarded by the judges this year.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
D/W are fabulous. They just keep getting those gold medals around their necks, don't they? Three different ISU judging panels have all been right in line with each other, they are definitely getting the scores this season. And they deserve it.

I have loved this team for a while now and I'm just so pleased things are paying off for them, as Charlie said.

Love that the Japanese audience appreciated them, I know it must have been such fun to skate to that applause! Congrats to the Kerrs, too, they obviously have a great fan base here.

I have loved D/W's FD since the beginning, I loved it very much here..such a passionate performance. :clap:

Dyan

On the Ice
I didn't compare them to the Kerrs or question the placements. I asked whether D/W's very high marks were warranted.

I get where Buttercup is coming from. Her question seems similar to the Kim Yu-Na and Evgeny Plushenko conversations. She (and others) aren't questioning D&W's win (I think that was a forgone conclusion as soon as DomShabs withdrew) but the point spread.

I am not the most objective person when it comes to K&K and when they are "on" I've always thought they had pretty decent skating skills. I expect them to pick up +GOE points in the second mark; if they skate their FD well I expect their PCS marks to be a little bit higher. I realize that at NHK they weren't completely "on." However, I've read posts in which people have said that Sinead and John's skating skills/technique are as good as they could be.

I need to try and watch their programs paying attention to only the quality of their skating and required elements.

I can't see this happening either.

Though I do believe that they could very well win the OD over V/M and B/A this year- if they skate well. The judges really, reallly like their OD- rightfully so.

GPF is going to be an extremely interesting competition this year if all teams show up healthy. Then we'll really see if D/W's scores hold up under head to head competition- I somehow don't think they will.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part being a bigger V&M and B&A fan than D&W fan, but I don't think the GP scores will hold up once all the top teams meet either.

I'm trying not to put too much thought into it though because all the different scenarios as to why which team is getting which marks is starting to make my head spin. It's possible the judges have promoted D&W to top NA team but OTOH it's possible that the judges are judging the winning dance teams against the field those skaters are competing against (as I believe they tend to do). And there are probably many scenarios in between.

I agree that the OD is/will be D&W's biggest strength once they begin to face the rest of the top teams. I do think they could beat V&M and B&A in this portion but IMHO unless the other two teams make huge mistakes or have shaky tentative performances I would still give V&M and B&A the nod in the CD and FD.

I think even with the OD people are reacting to what they might feel is a more interesting choice of program especially since many teams went with the tried and true folk and country dances.

However the judges are supposed to judge each team on how well that team interprets the rhythm they did chose, the difficulty in those programs and how well the content was performed. Of course once again trying to second guess the judges is tricky as they could react positively as the fans have to D&W having chosen something different from what the majority of the teams in the top teams are skating to.

katha

On the Ice
Wow, controversy in an ice dance thread! Perish the thought! ;) Yes, D/Ws marks are very high, but against teams arguably not quite on their level. K/K are very entertaining and always crowd-favourites :), but there are clear weaknesses to their skating such as partnering or twizzles. And the judges for whatever reason just don't see them as a top team yet.

What does seem clear is that D/Ws OD in particular is really a hit. And why not? It's great. I personally would HATE if they suddenly started winning against the big guns with this dreadful, dreadful Phanton FD. Don't get me wrong, they skate it as well as can be skated, but the material they were given is just absolutely unworthy of a team of their caliber IMO. And they had two of my favourite FDs with Eleanor Rigby and Samson and Delilah...it figures that they would finally start winning stuff with one I hate. Sigh.