93 Worlds | Golden Skate

93 Worlds

S

Show 42

Re: 93 Worlds

........without digging out my tapes, I went for Oksana....I just like her skating better.........42

K

Kremxx

Lu Chen skated very well, her only mistake was a singled flip but she came back and put it in at the end of the program and landed a total of 6 triples two of them being Lutzes, I really thought she should have won.

R

RealtorGal

Oksana was exquisite. She has my vote. At the time I remember thinking that I had never seen anyone so exciting on the ice.

S

sk8m8

That was the year people begin to compare the quaility of Oksana to Janet Lynn. She simply shone on the ice like a diamond. The quality of her skating was far above the average "jumping bean" of someone her age. I think she borrowed a lot of Petrinko's "stylings" and it suited her well since she had such sound skating techinique.

R

rgirl181

Sk8m8 & Rgal (twinness reveals itself again),
ITA. I remember thinking that I have to buy COI (or whatever it was called then) RIGHT AWAY because Oksana was too good to last.

How sad that after a few years, I was right. Darn it! Why can't I be wrong when it counts!

I was in the basement of my old apartment building and a woman and her 5-year-old daughter were there. The 5-year-old kept going on and on about "Oksana Baiul! She's the MOST Beautiful!" This was after all the rehab stuff. So, typical me, I open my mouth and say I saw Oksana at a reception and that she is even more beautiful in person (she it). The mom kept trying to hustle the kid out of there but the girl kept saying, "You SAW her!? Up close?" You could tell the mother was like, "Great, have an alcoholic be my daughter's role model."

What a heartbreak that Oksana was only a shooting star.
Rgirl

R

RealtorGal

I always feel badly when I see current photos of Oksana. She looks so OLD, like an old woman already. I really hope she can find some peace and happiness in life.

C

Callystarr

<span style="color:maroon;"><em><strong>
Maybe I wasn't such a great judge of presentation/flow etc, the only thing like Sandra said in her commentating was her hands. Oksana Baiul did not move me much in her free skate, and her difficulty was there, but her jumps seemed rather sloppy to me.

I really liked Lu Chens LP, she had one silly mistake, singled a Flip but came back in at the end of the program and threw it in. Landed 6 triples compared to Oksanas 5. Lu Chens presentation was completely underrated at that time. I really thought Lu Chen should have won.</strong></em></span>