I need some info... | Golden Skate

I need some info...

icenut84

Final Flight
Can anyone answer/confirm any of these questions for me?

1) Which years were Gordeeva & Grinkov world champions?

2) What year did Gordeeva & Grinkov get married?

3) What year did Sergei Grinkov die? (Was it 95?)

4) What years was Kat Witt world champion? (Was it 84/85/87/88?)

5) Where did Kat Witt place in 94 Olympics?

6) What were Liz Manley's highest placements? (Were her highest the silver at 88 Olympics and Worlds? Did she ever win a medal at Worlds apart from that?)

7) Was Tanja Szewczenko German champion in 94, or was Kat Witt?

8) What was Tanja S's jump consistency like in 94?

9) What year did Oksana Baiul go into rehab?

10) What are the details of Tara Lipinski's hip injury/surgery? Anyone know?

11) What year did B&S team up? (was it 96?) Also, 96 was the year of Elena's injury wasn't it?

12) What are Abitbol & Bernadis's competition records? I know they won the bronze at 00 Worlds, and silver at Europeans a few times (how many?). Anything else?

13) How old was Kwan at 03 Worlds? (22 or 23?)

14) Where did Julia Lautowa place in 03 Worlds?

15) What year did Kurt land the quad? (Was it 88 or 89?)

Ta for any answers :)

lulu

Final Flight
Do we get a prize for answering these questions?;) :D

1. 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986. In 1988 Valova and Vasiliev won what I believe was their 4th world championship.

B&S paired in 1996 I believe.

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
13) Michelle was 22. Her b-day is July 1980.
15) Kurt landed the quad at 88 Worlds

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
2) What year did Gordeeva & Grinkov get married?

Answer: I think they got married in 1991.

6) What were Liz Manley's highest placements? (Were her highest the silver at 88 Olympics and Worlds? Did she ever win a medal at Worlds apart from that?)

Answer: Liz had her highest placements in 88. At the 87 Worlds she was in contention for a medal, but in the freeskate doubled the first jump (salchow) and fell on the second jump - a triple lutz. She only landed one triple (toe). She ended up in 4th overall - her highest finish to that point. I think she was nervous and she rushed the first jump as she was really tilted on the landing. But Scott Hamilton said that her performance wasn't what she had been doing in the practices all week and she would be a threat next year. Boy was he right!!

8) What was Tanja S's jump consistency like in 94?

Answer: Inconsistent until Worlds. Although in all honesty CBS did not show her free skate so I don't know how it was. I remember she was in 5th after the short and was 6th after the free skate. Also interesting to note: her combination in the SP was a triple loop/double toe. She only added the lutz that season and still did not have a triple flip.

11) What year did B&S team up? (was it 96?) Also, 96 was the year of Elena's injury wasn't it?

Answer: Yes, B & S paired in 96, which was when she had her injury. I remember they showed her at Centennial on Ice (100 year anniversary of World Championships) and she had a scarf on her head. They won bronze at 97 Europeans - their first major competition.

12) What are Abitbol & Bernadis's competition records? I know they won the bronze at 00 Worlds, and silver at Europeans a few times (how many?). Anything else?

Answer: Four European Bronze Medals (96, 98, 99, 01), two European Silver Medals (02, 03), one World Silver (2000)

13) How old was Kwan at 03 Worlds? (22 or 23?)

Answer: She was 22 (she turned 23 in July)

15) What year did Kurt land the quad? (Was it 88 or 89?)

Answer: 1988 in Budapest

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

10) What are the details of Tara Lipinski's hip injury/surgery? Anyone know?

Icenut,
I have a lot of info on Tara's hip injury. The post I did on it from 9-4-03 is no longer in the archives, but I have a copy of it plus additional links and info. If you PM me with your email (the info is too long to fit into a PM) I'll be happy to send it to you.
Rgirl

heyang

Record Breaker
1) Which years were Gordeeva & Grinkov world champions?
86/87/89/90. Silver in 88 after Oly's because Katia had a bad cold with threw off her equilibrium.

Valova/Vasiliev won in 83/85/88 and silver in 84/86/87

4) What years was Kat Witt world champion? (Was it 84/85/87/88?)

84/85/87/88 is correct. She got silver in 82 and 86 when Elaine Zayak and Debi Thomas (the technicians) won. Not sure what happened in 83 since she didn't land on the podium.

pairsfan

On the Ice
2)Katia and Sergei were married on April 20, 1991 (civil) and April 28, 1991 (church).

3)Sergei died on November 20, 1995.

14)Julia Lautowa was 15th at 2003 Worlds

icenut84

Final Flight
Thanks everyone for the info! Very helpful. Only one question left, if possible:

9) What year did Oksana Baiul go into rehab?

hrmsk8ngnutt - thanks for the stats re: Abitbol & Bernadis at Europeans. They won the bronze at 00 Worlds though, not the silver - behind Petrova & Tikhonov and Shen & Zhao. I've got it on tape. Was that the only medal they won at Worlds?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
You're very welcome icenut.

Yes, the bronze in 2000 was the only World Medal that Abitbol/Bernardis won.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)