Skate America: Predictions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Predictions

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
I do believe we're jumping on a conclusion here just based on one article which came out from her formal coach who she trained with when she was 10. Had it been Orser who spelled out these words, I would've been worried a little bit.

I never thought Kim was too skinny.. maybe because her body proportion seems too perfect for me.. I don't know. If today's Kim is rather unhealthy Kim, I wonder she'll be able to do quads when she's healthy .:laugh:

cosmos

On the Ice
Wait. I didn't want to get into this discussion about Yuna's restrictive diet, but your post made my jaw drop. I haven't read every single post on this thread but I thought that people are making all these disapproving comments about her diet based on this little information that she has a calorie restrictive diet. Why are some of us jumping into conclusions or making unsupported claims as if we had been waiting for an opportunity to bash her?

Agree. There are people who are ready to criticise her. Orser, as her coach, certainly manages her diet plan, I believe. He wouldn't let her do an EXTREME DIET. In fact, she has never been healthier than now. In 2007, she could barely finish her lp, but now it seems that stamina is not her issue any more. If she is on an extreme diet, how could it be possible.

I believe, every skater is on her/his diet plan. Don't you remeber Kirk's article? If you see a skater in person, I am sure you will find he/she is very slim.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
He used Tom Dickson last year, and I think it showed in his programs.

ITA! It certainly did!

I can't find any information about his new programs, his ISU bio hasn't been updated yet. The Russian wiki also doesn't offer additional information.

Lutai chose the dynamic Carmina Burana by Carl Orff for the short program and the more lyrical Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Grieg in a modern arrangement for the free skating. "My girl friend Ina (Demireva, Bulgarian ice dancer) suggested the short program to me. I showed it to Alexei Nikolaevitch (Mishin) and he also liked it," revealed Lutai. "The only thing is that a part of the music contains lyrics. I have a friend who suggested a good musician and DJ to me and he will now arrange the music in a way that the lyrics are completely dubbed."

Lutai explained that it took him a long time to decide about the free skating music. "We had different ideas ranging from cheerful to serious music. In the end, Alexei Nikolaevitch (Mishin) suggested this alternative to me, and the choreographer Evgeni Kovtun traveled to us to Italy. As soon as he arrived, we switched on the music. I liked it and I'm all for it. I liked all parts. So we started to put the program together. It is not a completely classical version and I think there are different moods within this music. Some parts are more cheerful and others are more sad. I like it because it is easy to listen to." (c)

Forever yours GS: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/080909.shtml

yqs100

On the Ice
oh I thought this was a prediction threat............

Any predictions on Yuna's weight after the olympics

sjwh08

Rinkside
Still talking about Yuna's diet? :bow::bow:

As long as we don't see her losing noticeable weight in a short period of time, she must be eating fine. If anything, I'd be more worried about overweight skaters whose weights are affecting jumping abilities than skinny skaters.

Even if Yuna's not a skater, she must be not so skinny in Korean standard. She probably has much more muscles than most of Korean girls do. Please don't even compare her with Joannie. I bet Asian women (except professional body builders) rarely get that muscular.

Let's just let her diet regime be whatever it is.

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
Ooh I'm a sucker for Joannie's biceps.. :love:

Looking back.. I cannot believe this was actually a prediction thread..haha..:biggrin:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Still talking about Yuna's diet? :bow::bow:

Let's just let her diet regime be whatever it is.

Exactly. Until we see sudden weight decreases and/or noticeable decreases in skating quality à-la-Akiko-circa-2003 (which obviously isn't the case), there's no need to scrutinize. I think we're getting a bit carried away in our need to undermine perceived perfection here. Do we really need to blemish Yu-na's AMAZING work ethic with this anorexia gossip?

prettykeys

Medalist
Ooh I'm a sucker for Joannie's biceps.. :love:
Yes. I think she looks fantastic. :)

Also--it does not surprise me that Gymnastics should have some of the most muscular men and women (functionally; not the disgusting, useless kind of muscularity as in professional bodybuilders.)

I do believe it is the toughest sport.

chaerae

Spectator
Well, since this is apparently still the Yuna diet thread, I will chime in to say...

As someone who eats Korean food daily, I just got done with dinner. The menu? Soybean paste soup, sea bass/flounder, some kimchi and other veggie side dishes including marinated tofu, and a small helping of rice. I would hardly call it a miserable diet. In fact, it was damn tasty. The idea of a diet consisting of soybeans, tofu, fish, vegetables, etc. might seem unappetizing to some, but these are all major staples of Korean cuisine. Korea is a peninsula, so fish/seafood has always been a major source of food, moreso than red meat, and you'd be surprised how many delicious tofu or soybean dishes there are!

It doesn't sound like Yuna is being particularly deprived. She has a nice proper meal for breakfast and then something lighter for lunch and dinner. It's definitely low-calorie, but nutritious and efficient. It certainly sounds healthier than some other skaters' diets I've read about. And Yuna looks stronger and healthier than ever - the proof is in the pudding. She's naturally slender and thin-boned. She's not even especially skinny by the super weight-conscious standards of Korean women... but that's another issue entirely.

And now, could we get back to the predictions? Mine:
Kim, Flatt, Suguri
Lysacek, Verner, Mroz
S/Z, Z/Z, V/M
B/A, K/N, C/L

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
As someone who eats Korean food daily, I just got done with dinner. The menu? Soybean paste soup, sea bass/flounder, some kimchi and other veggie side dishes including marinated tofu, and a small helping of rice. I would hardly call it a miserable diet. In fact, it was damn tasty. The idea of a diet consisting of soybeans, tofu, fish, vegetables, etc. might seem unappetizing to some, but these are all major staples of Korean cuisine. Korea is a peninsula, so fish/seafood has always been a major source of food, moreso than red meat, and you'd be surprised how many delicious tofu or soybean dishes there are!

Thanks for sharing information about the typical Korean diet. Yu-Na's food choices (based on that article at least) don't sound as odd to me now that I've read your post.

Wait. I didn't want to get into this discussion about Yuna's restrictive diet, but your post made my jaw drop. I haven't read every single post on this thread but I thought that people are making all these disapproving comments about her diet based on this little information that she has a calorie restrictive diet. Why are some of us jumping into conclusions or making unsupported claims as if we had been waiting for an opportunity to bash her?

I was absolutely not bashing Yu-Na. Commenting on her diet or restrictive diets in general is not bashing. If you read the rest of the thread, you would notice several posts talking about severely restricted diets. I was commenting mostly on those. Yes, we only have that one article about Yu-Na's diet, but what is wrong with discussing it or the points the article raises in general? I realize I didn't speak very eloquently about the topic, but please don't misunderstand. I hope Yu-Na, like every skater, can have a sensible diet.

I don't know if she eats meat or not, but not eating meat makes someone go overboard...with what? Many people go vegetarian because they want a healthier lifestyle.

The article commented that she wasn't eating meat because it may "weaken muscular endurance", not because she wanted to be healthier. That's why I made the comment that it might be going overboard. A meat such as chicken is good for you, and I'm not at all convinced cutting that out of a diet would help one's figure skating in any way! I'm not talking about Yu-Na here... I'm talking about dieting in general. There are several pointless dieting techniques out there, and this, to me, is one of them.

Also, who said that she's on diet to delay puberty? Aren't many athletes on diet while maintaining a healthy body? Who is to say that she is torturing herself? Many people watch what they eat. I myself don't drink soda, don't eat snacks, don't eat fatty foods, and I've never felt that I am torturing myself. If I have occasional cravings for something sweet, I treat myself then but I don't crave for that all the time. I guess some people 'have to' believe that all the slim beautiful women are torturing themselves by not eating chocolates and burgers every day.:disapp:

Again, I was replying to a general comment, not one specifically about Yu-Na. And again, I am not talking about diets that simply cut out sweets and limit portions sensibly (many people, including myself, look to do that!) I was talking more along the lines of severely limiting calorie intake in hopes of improving figure skating performance. I just find it a little silly. The main point I was trying to convey is that eating like a bird usually is not the best answer to staying thin and in shape, especially when you are doing many hours of high level training like these skaters are.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
I didn't get any feeling that people were basing Yuna, but more like they're concerned that she might be eating too little.

TBH, I don't think her diet sounds gross, esp. given that she's Korean. When translated many Asian food can sound miserable -- like octopus balls, squid ink pasta, etc. (BTW - they're very popular in Japan & taste quite nice.)

Also she's not all that skinny for Asian, esp. Korean girls. Many of them are downright gross (b/c they're way way too skinny).

Ultimately, does it matter what she eats and how many calories she consumes as long as she's healthy?

I guess I've been in Asia for too long though...b/c I thought certain American skaters looked a little too heavy.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
What's going on, guys?
I'm Yuna's fan and I heard for the first time about "diet" from this thread. In all her interviews (in Korean and I have no links right now) she said either that she has no special diet, or that her food is simply "plain". Also in her birthday picture we could see her eating a huge hamburger with her friend (that picture is in her blog which is inaccessible right now). That clearly shows "strictly caring about calories both off and on-season". Not eating meat? Oh, come on...

Let's not jump to conclusions based on one source.

And about the muscles... You know that size != force? Her hands are OK for me and while jumping they actually support 4G pressure with quite an ease. I think she is really strong girl looking at her stamina.

SusieH

On the Ice
Chill, people. See, she eats, and it's cake no less! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ke4Yt0y5w (see 2:30)

I don't know how many calories she takes for a day, but she looks healthy and doesn't seem to have any stamina issue this season. That's good enough for me. I'd say she is slender, but she is not skinny (and definitely not sickly skinny) if one judges her by the East Asian standard. She did look a little skinny two years ago, but not now. It's pretty obvious she has gained some weight after she went to Canada.

I feel like I need to do my list since it's a prediction thread. But I don't do predictions whenever my favorites are involved. So I'll just say good luck to everyone! :) (Especially to the ladies! Please, please deliver this time. I don't think I can handle another splatfest.)

Last edited:

mishieru07

On the Ice
Yu Na is a little on the thin side but it's still within the normal range, definitely not overboard! I'm around 1.62m and my weight is similar to that of Yu Na's ... it could be an Asian thing; Asians are of a different build and IIRC, generally lighter.

Anyway, I'm seriously not fussed about what she eats. Vegetarians and vegans don't eat any kind of meat and still live healthy, active lifestyles. As long as she's happy and not suffering from eating disorders, I think a restrictive diet is fine, so long as it's balanced. (I think everyone is just concerned, not judgemental, especially after Jenny mentioned many skaters suffer from eating disorders)

Since when has this turned into a thread about Yu Na's diet? I think we ought to set up a new thread just for this :rofl:.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Chill, people. See, she eats, and it's cake no less! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ke4Yt0y5w (see 2:30)

I don't know how many calories she takes for a day, but she looks healthy and doesn't seem to have any stamina issue this season. That's good enough for me. I'd say she is slender, but she is not skinny (and definitely not sickly skinny) if one judges her by the East Asian standard. She did look a little skinny two years ago, but not now. It's pretty obvious she has gained some weight after she went to Canada.

I feel like I need to do my list since it's a prediction thread. But I don't do predictions whenever my favorites are involved. So I'll just say good luck to everyone! :) (Especially to the ladies! Please, please deliver this time. I don't think I can handle another splatfest.)

Thanks for the link. YuNa looks so happy celebrating her b/day. A friend of mine who is a nutritionist told me once that one of the things she first looks at when she meets a new patient is their hair, she said that the condition of ones hair (of course if the hair is purple or green or bald it was difficult lol) is telling about one's eating habits. YuNa has beautiful shiny hair