Skate America: Predictions | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Predictions

janetfan

Match Penalty
Men

1. Dick Button (why is no one talking about his comeback?) :p
Button plans to skate and announce his programs
simultaneously which will earn him huge pcs and goe!!!

2. Tomas (sooner or later he will skate two clean programs) :yes:
3. Evan (all of his cheating jumps will be penalized) :eek:

Ladies

1. JoJo Starbuck (so what if she is a retired Pairs skater - still the coolest name ever for a skater.) :cool:

2. Yuna
3. Rachael

Last edited:
What's with Akiko? She already has 15 points and her biggest threat is Joannie.

The results could be

Miki
YuNa
Akiko
Joannie
Aliona
Wagner

Doesn't look good for the 3 US Ladies-in-Waiting. And no break for Mao and Yukari.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What would happen if Joannie doesn't medal at SC though? It could change everything and Mao or Akiko could get in :). Also, if Joannie got bronze would that even be enough to definitely get her a spot or would it come down to tie breakers? I am VERY excited for skate canada it's going to be so intense :clap:
skate america will be fun to watch too, especially if there are surprises

Trewyn

Medalist
^^Akiko only needs fourth and she's in the final; so she's very likely in the final. Joannie needs gold to be a lock; and silver would put her in a tie break with Ashley; which Joannie would probably win.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It's remotely possible to get 2 U.S. ladies in the Final. If Caroline wins with Joannie 2nd, and Joannie has fewer points than Ashley, then Caroline and Ashley are in.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's remotely possible to get 2 U.S. ladies in the Final. If Caroline wins with Joannie 2nd, and Joannie has fewer points than Ashley, then Caroline and Ashley are in.

And when you say Caroline do you mean any US lady going to SC? Three US skaters at SC means three shots at winning the gold medal :agree:. Caroline is the most consistent, but Mirai and Alissa when they're on their game generally score higher than she does. Alissa with 4th from Russia is in the same standing as Caroline with 4th at TEB, while Mirai in 5th even if she did win would have to go into a tie breaker right?
I'm just glad there are so many US ladies at that event, if if two of them mess up, chances are at least one of them will skate really well. My money is on Mirai, her new SP is amazing and I think it's cute how she's embracing the teenage agnst haha:p

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Both Alissa and Caroline can get in the Final with a win at Skate Canada, but I don't believe Mirai can. If we rephrase the rules a little, we have this ranking :

1) gold gold
2) gold silver
3) gold bronze
4) silver silver
5) gold 4th <<<<< Alissa or Caroline if they win
6) silver bronze <<<< Ashley and Alena + Joannie if she gets silver
7) gold 5th <<<<<< Mirai if she wins
8) silver 4th
9) bronze bronze

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Once the ladies results for skate america are in will we have a better idea of what has to happen at skate canada in terms of the final? All these what if's are crazy haha. Pumped for the short today, I want to see yu na do james bond, love that program haha :love:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What's with Akiko? She already has 15 points and her biggest threat is Joannie.

Akiko could easily finish 5th or 6th in SC behind Joannie, Caroline, Mirai, Alissa, and possibly Laura Lepisto. You can find her winning FS at CoC on youtube. It wasn't amazing, she went clean but only had one jump combination, a 3lz-2t. The rest of her triples were solo jumps. Her spins and spirals are not as good as Caroline, Mirai, Alissa, and Laura. Technically Joannie, Caroline, and Mirai have harder programs, Alissa might even too.

It's important to keep in mind at Coc:
1.) Akiko was 4th in the SP
2.) Rachael was having an off day
3.) Mirai got killed in the long for downgrades for under rotating her triples but won the short
4.) Joannie came in 2nd in the long after falling on her butt twice
5.) Kiira Korpi, who has never really been considered a big threat, won the silver at this competition-at TEB she was 8th.

It seems to me that Akiko winning gold at CoC was luck more than anything, the only person that skated well for both programs was Kiira Korpi. Rachael, Mirai, and Joannie all had pretty big mistakes in one or both programs. I wouldn't say Akiko's a shoe in for the final

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think I might have watched a different skate of Joannie's then...I thought she fell twice. It might have been a video from last year, my bad.

But if a skater can have one three jump series and two combo jumps in their freeskate isn't it to their advantage to use them? In Akiko's case at CoC she didn't need it but still

R.D.

Record Breaker
So far, everything's like clockwork...another WR by Yuna (
Yawn_by_nyssi.gif
), Flatt in 2nd after a rare fall on a 3-3 sequence, everyone else fairly close. Sebestyen with yet another solid SP for third.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I really hope rachael hits her 3-3 in the long! and yu na is amazing :biggrin: , her program is so grown up I always thought she was shy but she really seems to be coming out of her shell this season. Also, she is so pretty!

I really think Rachael will have to melt to lose that 2nd place. The Field is not all that tough as it is in SC.

In SC, I still think it is Akiko who holds the answer to the USA's 3 Graces.If she falls below 4th place the door is open for one of the US gals if they get 2nd or 1st. Joannie is also on cautious ground.

So much depends on getting to the Finals.

1. Where the Feds put the top SIX skaters from last Worlds.

2. How the Feds select the remaining skaters for each venue.

[It's all pretty much done in secret. The skaters have little or no control of the selections]

S

sleepyjl

[It's all pretty much done in secret. The skaters have little or no control of the selections]

I thought the skaters could list their top choices. People in Japan were complaining that Tarasova had requested CoR for Mao so that she could be closer to home, to the detriment of Mao's Olympic buildup. I could be totally wrong on this...