skaters as choreographers | Golden Skate

skaters as choreographers

lulu

Final Flight
Many skaters after they are done with amateur skating are working as choreographers, who are some skaters that you think would make interesting choreographers? What retired or pro skaters would you like to match up with current amateur or pro skaters?

Some current skaters who have done some major choreography recently include...

Gorsha Sur did a Fabulous job of choreographing B&S's Let Me Fall-it is pure B&S classical lines.

Other skaters/choreographers
Sasha Zhulin-ice dance, he also seemed to have a great deal of success with Kurt Browning program and a Rudi Galindo one (violin one).

Artur Dmitriev did choreographing for Ina and Zimmerman 2002 LP-their Olys program IMO-was vintage Dmitriev.

Gwendal P. also does so choreographing.

Of course there are tons more...

I think it's really interesting to see programs choreographed and desgined by former elite level skaters.

mpal2

Final Flight
How involved is Emmanuel Sandhu with choreography? If he does a lot of his own, I could see him branching off in that direction.

OT - but Yuka has done some beautiful skating dresses.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mpal2:

Emanuel has had programs choreographed by Brian Orser and I think Kurt has worked with him as well. I don't think he does his own work yet, but it's a strong bet for the future.

mpal2

Final Flight
Thanks Lad,

I forgot that Kurt and Brian had started doing some choreography for Takeshi as well. I look forward to more. Have they done any programs for anyone else who squeaked into the tv spots?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt's working with Takeshi???? :eek:

Kurt also helped with Jamie and David's Olympic Short Program choreography... I think he basically helped them with their expressions or something like that... I have the article somewhere LOL!

Gorsha Sur helped with Angela's programs in 2000-2002 I believe...

heyang

Record Breaker
Chris Dean is a great choreographer. Besides MK's Rush, he also choreographed Lulu's Take Five - too bad that was her bad year because it was a great program if she could've skated at all well.

Renee Roca is also choreographing.

I think many more elite skaters end up coaching.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
(in addition to those mentioned already)
  • Maya Usova is working with TT.
  • Evgeny Platov is coaching Chait & Sakhnovsky (with TT's help)
  • Rodnina does some coaching, though I think the Stieglers were her main achievement
  • Yagudin is trying himself out as Griazev's coach.
  • The formerly great Russian male skater Bobrin has been a great choreographer, and has done programs for Russian dance and FS teams from Bestemianova & Bukin (her being his wife) to Bereznaya & Sikharulidze (for example the Chaplin program).

lulu

Final Flight
I also think Rodnina coached N&K (I think that's their initials:eek: ) from the Czech Republic during their World Championship year.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lulu, I think you are right. I believe they were Kovarikova and Novotny.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Robin Cousins is the director/choreographer of Holiday on Ice Europe... he also choreographed the Star Skates series

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mpal2:

Yes, Kurt worked with Tara and helped her with a pro competition program (which she won!) and Brian choreographed a program for Jennifer Robinson (she did well with her program as well!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt worked wiyh Tara on her patriotic routine... her straightlione footwork was 100% his creation...

bleuchick

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
No no no no no. L&A as in Langois & Arochetto!

you got it right .

I am so used to writing L&A and sometimes forget the other L&A. Confusing, eh?

Next time...I will say Anabella and Patrice.

mpal2

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Kurt's working with Takeshi???? :eek:

I think it was mostly for the footwork section for 2002-2003 LP (?). It's getting late and my mind is failing right now. As soon as I get offline and go to bed, I'll remember the program.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
i always thought maria b. would be a good choreographer, but haven't heard of her doing any prgrams yet.