Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ryan even skated in Kati Witts good bye tour by recommendation of Brian Boitano, so he really has a lot of fans among the alltime greats :rock:

Now I must make a confession of one of my most guilt ridden and closely guarded figure skating secrets :yes:

In 1984 I rooted for Katerina and NOT Roz Sumners. Once I saw Kat I just coudn't be against such a beautiful young girl :love:

prettykeys

Medalist
Forget the ID card. You I would check for weapons ;):cool: :laugh:
Are you serious? I can't believe I have to put up with your insinuation that I'm violent or criminal. You have no business talking at me like that, and a lot of nerve. If you didn't believe I'd be offended, you're off your rockers and should rethink that possibility.

Kiiiiidding. :)

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Evan-as-a-person certainly does not help me appreciate him either.

I'm not going to get into why I dislike him as a person (better not start any "rumors" :rolleye:), but even during skating press conferences you can see his snide attitude come through at times.

I have to completely agree, I cannot stand Evan as a skater or as a person, he just comes off as such a jerk, whenever I see his interviews.

Also I cannot stand his LP costume, the sheer chest, the shoulder pads with what appears to be lace and feathers? Yuck.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Are you serious? I can't believe I have to put up with your insinuation that I'm violent or criminal. You have no business talking at me like that, and a lot of nerve. If you didn't believe I'd be offended, you're off your rockers and should rethink that possibility.

Kiiiiidding. :)

I think you are very DANGEROUS :rock: :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I have to completly agree, I cannot Evan as a skater or as a person, he jsut comes off as such a jerk whenever I see his interviews or public apperances.

Also I cannot stand his LP costume, the sheer chest, the shoulder pads with what appears to be lace and feathers? Yuck.

I am not sure if I understand you? Are you saying you don't like Evan, or still making up your mind about him ;) :laugh:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I'll start with the first rule:

1. Don't jump to conclusions!

For example, if someone uses Fraulein, he/she could be mistakenly using the word, but don't jump to the conclusion he's using it purposely in a derogatory manner.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Now I must make a confession of one of my most guilt ridden and closely guarded figure skating secrets :yes:

In 1984 I rooted for Katerina and NOT Roz Sumners. Once I saw Kat I just coudn't be against such a beautiful young girl :love:

why are you guilt ridden? Katarina is the better skater (and Roz tried way too hard to be the sexy blonde later in SOI, especially the year she costarred with Kat...)

amateur

Final Flight
I can barely watch Lysacek on the other hand. He takes on these bombastic classical warhorses, some of them among my favourite pieces. But I never have the feeling that he is on the beat, he thunders himself through his programs, with no understanding for the music, for the melody, for the rhythm. The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior. Lysacek forces the music, among them pieces belonging to the best mankind has ever written, into the role of his servant, his slave. It's fake, it's dissonant and I simply can't stand it.

Wow - that is a pretty strong critique... but I more or less agree! Very well-stated.
(No, I'm not European, for anyone who might be counting - i think the total is still 3 ;-) )

schiele

Final Flight
Wow - that is a pretty strong critique... but I more or less agree! Very well-stated.
(No, I'm not European, for anyone who might be counting - i think the total is still 3 ;-) )

Wow, this is precisely why I dislike Evan's skating and his programmes. Well said Medusa.. And then there's talk of passion, all I see is forcing.. I try to remain neutral to skaters that I don't particularly like but Evan just ticks off all the negative boxes, sorry...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe that's why I like Joubert. He is not really musical, and he knows it and he doesn't pretend to be musical. He can stay on a beat quite well though, that's why he probably choses programs with a simple beat. Denkova / Stavisiki said in an interview, that Brian has problems doing choreography he doesn't understand, to music he doesn't understand. That when he understands the movement, when all makes sense to him - he can easily do it. And I enjoy watching it.

I can barely watch Lysacek on the other hand. He takes on these bombastic classical warhorses, some of them among my favourite pieces. But I never have the feeling that he is on the beat, he thunders himself through his programs, with no understanding for the music, for the melody, for the rhythm. The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior. Lysacek forces the music, among them pieces belonging to the best mankind has ever written, into the role of his servant, his slave. It's fake, it's dissonant and I simply can't stand it.

These are interesting and fair comments. Of course they are opinionated - just like most other posts at GS.

I agree Joubert is not a very musical skater. In fact, I get bored listening to Joubert's music as I find it always the SAME, and nothing more than trivial commercial music meant to hook his little howling fans. ;)
For me Joubert feels like the furthest thing from ART in the skating world.
But still, I can appreciate what he does, and fans with no appreciation for great music need a skater like this to keep their interest in the sport. And of course for those who judge skaters by their looks he is a very good looking guy. :yes: :rock:

Plushenko on the other hand seems to try very hard to come up with good music for his programs. Unfortunately he fails miserably in this attempt and I might rather be locked in isolation than to be forced to listen to Marton's agonizingly dull, repetitive Tango scores. :boohoo:
I am glad Plushy has returned though. He is afterall the Olympic champion and one of the greatest jumpers in the history of the sport. He also seems to be a nice person too and we should not judge him by his silly mullet :cool:

If I had to judge a skater by their music selections, Evan would be at the top.
Maybe Evan just has superior taste in music as he generally skates to aknowledged and beloved masterpieces. If not the most musical of skaters, he does manage to find a way to bring the grandeur of his music to the forefront as in performance after performance his intensity, fueled and led by the majestic scores always brings the crowd to their feet. His style is not for eveyone - but in his own way he is every bit the showman that Joubert and Plushy are.

I think it is shallow to knock Evan so hard for a perceived lack of "musicality" when it is so obvious Joubert and Plushy seem incapable of anything close to superior interpretation the way we see from Jeremy.

If it makes some feel better to "hate" Evan then who am I to question their motives let alone their right to enjoy and even revel in this hatred. Some even note that they hate Evan on a personal level - and expect us to believe they actually know him :laugh: . Please - to hate on such a personal level I think you actually need to know the person otherwise such statements reveal xenophobic
feelings.

I like Joubert and Plushy even if I find them somewhat comical at times. I find Evan comical too - I mean those costumes and that ridiculous overdone Hollywood tan crack me up. Thank god I can laugh at all this stuff rather than taking it so seriously.

BTW, I like Tomas even if he looks so ungodly pale :)laugh:). Maybe Evan shoud reveal some of his tanning secrets to Tomas - it might help boost his pcs if the judges could actually see Tomas out on the ice and not what appears to be a ghost on iceskates ;)

Last edited:
why are you guilt ridden? Katarina is the better skater (and Roz tried way too hard to be the sexy blonde later in SOI, especially the year she costarred with Kat...)
Toni - Are you really saying Kat did not push the sex angle in Carmen? and even later for Coca Cola?

Judging in the Cold War era was anti Sport, for me. Kat's coca cola ads were sexy and fresh. She was highly hyped in her hayday. Roz made lots of money doing those Sunday Afternoon silly competitions. Thanks to Harding.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh the horror of a heavily fake tanned Tomaš, even to suggest this...:eek:

To skate to great classical music is no virtue by itself. Just saying.

And skating to such underwhelming, commercial music is a virtue? Or endless hours of Tango?
Please, I would always rather listen to Evan's music - medusa even shares that feeling, even it she can't stand Evan's skating.

And why not start by adding a little tan to your picture of Tomas here. :biggrin:

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
But still, I can appreciate what he does, and fans with no appreciation for great music need a skater like this to keep their interest in the sport. And of course for those who judge skaters by their looks he is a very good looking guy. :yes: :rock:

Wow, this is so beyond judgemental I don't know if I should dignify this with an answer..
And if choosing overly-used figure skating musical routines equivalent to being the most musical, then I believe the likes of Ponsero, Tomas, Jeffrey etc just go and shoot themselves for trying originality throughout the years. And so should Brian for choosing Matrix and Apocalyptica music (04 and 07), Plushenko for Micheal Jackson medley (02) or various wonderful marton renditions (King of Forest, Magic Stradivarious, Tosca Fantasy) and so on..
From now on I guess the rule should go, olympic year, choose Carmen (06) or scheherazade ('10), do frantic arm flailing and you're the most musical! Silly me..

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wow, this is so beyond judgemental I don't know if I should dignify this with an answer..
And if choosing overly-used figure skating musical routines equivalent to being the most musical, then I believe the likes of Ponsero, Tomas, Jeffrey etc just go and shoot themselves for trying originality throughout the years. And so should Brian for choosing Matrix and Apocalyptica music (04 and 07), Plushenko for Micheal Jackson medley (02) or various wonderful marton renditions (King of Forest, Magic Stradivarious, Tosca Fantasy) and so on..
From now on I guess the rule should go, olympic year, choose Carmen (06) or scheherazade ('10), do frantic arm flailing and you're the most musical! Silly me..

Good morning/ afternoon Schiele.
If you took me seriously you would be wrong, OK? The entire post was meant to be satirical. Take it anyway you like but spare me such indignation. :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
But still, I can appreciate what he does, and fans with no appreciation for great music need a skater like this to keep their interest in the sport.

I ll take this as a joke. There is no way this is a serious statement.
Joubert fans of no appreciation of great music need safri duo to keep interest to the sport?By the way I like Safri Duo A LOT!.How music illiteral I must be.

Since when there is a need to be so snobbish if the music is not concerto F, and if your skater is not musical a la Abott. Because you think Jeremy is so artistic and Joubert and Plush not. Plush and Joubert are for girl screaming at their seats and X's skate( i really dont want to pick a specific skater, and abott is great) is a piece of art that suits the MoMA. WOW!
When you tell me how many kilos is Art and how you weight it maybe I will laugh on the joke.
Medusa must be in real trouble cause as far as I know she likes Joubert and Jeremmy as much :laugh:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
and don't even make me think about applying tan to Tomas, I want the thought to leave my head, immediately :sheesh:

Well I was just trying to help :yes:

I mean Joubert has the pelvic thrust, Plushy has the finger, Evan has the TAN to end all TANS :laugh: doesn't Tomas need something extra too.??

Maybe Tomas should make a quick trip to Belgium and see if Kevin could lend him one of his more exotic costumes :yes: ;) :cool: :cool: :laugh:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I ll take this as a joke. There is no way this is a serious statement.
Joubert fans of no appreciation of great music need safri duo to keep interest to the sport?By the way I like Safri Duo A LOT!.How music illiteral I must be.

Since when there is a need to be so snobbish if the music is not concerto F, and if your skater is not musical a la Abott. Because you think Jeremy is so artistic and Joubert and Plush not. Plush and Joubert are for girl screaming at their seats and X's skate( i really dont want to pick a specific skater, and abott is great) is a piece of art that suits the MoMA. WOW!
When you tell me how many kilos is Art and how you weight it maybe I will laugh on the joke.
Medusa must be in real trouble cause as far as I know she likes Joubert and Jeremmy as much :laugh:

My post was intentionally meant to sound snobbish and SHALLOW. I was hoping it would express how silly some of these arguments can get.
Again, you are free to form your own judgement :yes: :cool:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
These are interesting and fair comments. Of course they are opinionated - just like most other posts at GS.

I agree Joubert is not a very musical skater. In fact, I get bored listening to Joubert's music as I find it always the SAME, and nothing more than trivial commercial music meant to hook his little howling fans.
For me Joubert feels like the furthest thing from ART in the skating world.

Plushenko on the other hand seems to try very hard to come up with good music for his programs. Unfortunately he fails miserably in this attempt and I might rather be locked in isolation than to be forced to listen to Marton's agonizingly dull, repetitive Tango scores. :boohoo:
I am glad Plushy has returned though. He is afterall the Olympic champion and one of the greatest jumpers in the history of the sport. He also seems to be a nice person too and we should not judge him by his silly mullet :cool:

If I had to judge a skater by their music selections, Evan would be at the top.
Maybe Evan just has superior taste in music as he generally skates to aknowledged and beloved masterpieces. If not the most musical of skaters, he does manage to find a way to bring the grandeur of his music to the forefront as in performance after performance his intensity, fueled and led by the majestic scores always brings the crowd to their feet. His style is not for eveyone - but in his own way he is every bit the showman that Joubert and Plushy are.

I think it is shallow to knock Evan so hard for a perceived lack of "musicality" when it is so obvious Joubert and Plushy seem incapable of anything close to superior interpretation the way we see from Jeremy.

If it makes some feel better to "hate" Evan then who am I to question their motives let alone their right to enjoy and even revel in this hatred. Some even note that they hate Evan on a personal level - and expect us to believe they actually know him :laugh: . Please - to hate on such a personal level I think you actually need to know the person otherwise such statements reveal xenophobic
feelings.

I like Joubert and Plushy even if I find them somewhat comical at times. I find Evan comical too - I mean those costumes and that ridiculous overdone Hollywood tan crack me up. Thank god I can laugh at all this stuff rather than taking it so seriously.

BTW, I like Tomas even if he looks so ungodly pale :)laugh:). Maybe Evan shoud reveal some of his tanning secrets to Tomas - it might help boost his pcs if the judges could actually see Tomas out on the ice and not what appears to be a ghost on iceskates ;)

You are to funny! I always like a chuckle with my morning coffee. :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
My post was intentionally meant to sound snobbish and SHALLOW. I was hoping it would express how silly some of these arguments can get.
Again, you are free to form your own judgement :yes: :cool:

I must have no sense of humor then:sheesh: