Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He really is. If you ever meet him in person give him a box of German Spaetzle in my name. He once said he really likes them :laugh:

I gave him a hard time when I took his picture a few years back with a friend of mine, :laugh: he is a lot of fun and really sweet :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Your posts are starting to sound contradictory. There were also not more than 3 people from Europe who were clearly criticising Evan in this thread.

The expression "Fräulein" in Germany was originally meant to distinguish married women from unmarried women. These days it's an insult, because it was often used to belittle and ridicule girls, younger women and unmarried older women. It's a condescending and patronising expression, meant to lower the value of women's opinions and intellectual abilities. You used it just like that. It's by the way outdated, if used in public every woman can demand an official apology from the offender.

You give me too much credit, as I only thought "fraulein" might be used like "young lady." And please consider how limited we "colonial" boys are. ;)
We are all so culturally challenged it is amazing I could even know one word of any foreign language. :cool:

I remember speaking with one of the many thousands of our soldiers who have kept the peace and protected your country since 1945. He told me just don't call the ladies "frau" they don't like that. He said call them "fraulein" and not to forget to offer them a chocolate bar if I wanted to get on their good side. ;)

His advice seemed to work pretty good for me as I always had a great time in your country and even have a business partner there. His daughter was an exchange student in USA and stayed in my home for a year. We used to either call her "fraulein" or "fritzi" even though her name was Julia. She didn't seem to mind and I love this girl like she was my own daughter.

If you want to make up a story that "fraulein" is insulting , even though I did not know it, (and don't believe you) I apologize.
I sincerely apologize to all three of the "Evan bashers extraordinaire" and appreciate that two of you are typically nice to Tomas :laugh:

And we can all like different skaters. I watched Evan's LP again this afternoon and thought his closing steps were the best I have seen this season. He just simply outworks other skaters, even has many triples = points in the second half of his program.

Tomas can beat any of them if he could just be more. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blank)

Guten nacht

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh, everyone can make mistakes while trying to speak a foreign language, I myself did some mistakes on these boards over the time. But the Fräulein thing is not hard to find out. Look here. And no, I didn't write that article "to make a story up".

What I always found most annoying about Fräulein, is that the grammatical gender of the word is neutral. As is "Mädchen", the word for girl. It's just, a boy "der Junge" is always male - but a woman is first "das Mädchen", "das Fräulein" and finally, when she is married, she is "die Frau". Hooray, now she is allowed to be female!

seniorita

Record Breaker
This board is so educational.:biggrin:
He said call them "fraulein" and not to forget to offer them a chocolate bar if I wanted to get on their good side.

From all the fraulein talk, honestly I m only upset that I didnt get the chocolate.:scowl:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Janetfan, it all depends on how you use it and in which context. And it is also important who you are adressing. Some older unmarried women will for example still insist on being called a Fräulein. This is often frowned upon but these women are humored.

Now, generally speaking Medua is right. Good intentions or not (and it is a leftover from the old patriachical days. It is not politically correct to address a woman, married or not, as Fräulein. Not all would perhaps have such strong movements about it but likewise not many would appreciate it either. See, it is even "das Fräulein". A neutre, many girls were referred to as "es/it" in the past. Pretty rude they were in these days.

That is definitely not the case. You can maybe still use it btw to address a waitress.

Just stating the issue...

Danke K.

I am glad I apologized (even if it was a very strange, unbelievably longwinded apology that came with a rather dubious story attached to it.

I will call my precious Julia an apologize to her because I probably called her "fraulein" a few thousand times a week when she was living in my home. :)

BTW, I do know about ordering a "dry martini" in Germany. Ask for that and you will be served three vermouths :p Yes, I t really did happen to me :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just offering up my annoyance - hate being called "young lady" - that's what I get when I'm in trouble with my parents... (though I don't get that at age 24 lol)

yes, I'm young... thank you for noticing, but age for women seems to be negative as a youth and as an elder... what is that about? it's just a number... I'd rather be known for my intellectual/personality (can't think of the word I want to use! how ironic) maturity.

prettykeys

Medalist
Wikipedia lists "Mademoiselle". Is that offensive?

People don't even call me "little lady". They just ask for my ID card...

seniorita

Record Breaker
:eek:And Senorita in spanish!

Now I am offended. Not a single picture to honor me in wikipedia?:sheesh:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I would object to someone I didn't know calling me "dear"... It can come across quite condescending.

Heh. I call my friends "dear" and "boyo." It's not meant to be condescending. Anyway, I do think janetfan meant it in a way to indicate familiarity, not superiority. That's how I took it.

prettykeys

Medalist
lol I think janetfan just meant it in the "German woman" way. I wouldn't have known it would be offensive, either.

janetfan

Match Penalty
and Ryan's a cutie-patootie!

I forget exactly what Scott said about Ryan's program - something like -
"this program brings us a shameless joy that can only be found in figure skating and no other sport."

Sorry if my quote is not quite right but I thoughht Scott's actual description was perfect

IMO the level of touchiness on this board is getting ridiculous. How about not taking offense when none was intended, and giving each other the benefit of the doubt?

I can't count the number of times I've been called miss, dear, darling, honey, sugar, a diminutive form of my name that I never use myself, forms of my married name that I never use, and so on. Sure, there are times when it's mildly objectionable. But usually it's a case of generational or cultural differences, poor memory, or obliviousness. Sometimes it even has a certain regional charm. I really don't see any point in getting all worked up about it - especially here. Can't we talk about figure skating in peace? Or go to the Cafe or Political forum.

Of course, this is JMO.

So let me get this straight. "Fraulein" is what we American soldiers are supposed to call a woman in Germany when we are offering her a chocolate bar to "get on her good side?"

Not, "hey, babe?" ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sounds like a joke from one of these barely funny corny-joke-books :laugh:

Where and when did this happen? And I suppose you drank them anyway, yes?

ja - I drank them and the bartender and I had a nice laugh about it. He said, "oh, you want "James Bond" martini, which he made for me and did not charge me for.

This was in 1993 in Karlsruhe.

For non German speakers - "drei" prounounced like our "dry" is the German word for "three." Thus a "dry martini" ordered in parts of Germany may get you three vermouths.....

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
So let me get this straight. "Fraulein" is what we American soldiers are supposed to call a woman in Germany when we are offering her a chocolate bar to "get on her good side?"

Not, "hey, babe?" ;)

It depends what type of woman we are talking about ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I forget exactly what Scott said about Ryan's program - something like -
"this program brings us a shameless joy that can only be found in figure skating and no other sport."

I think it's great that Scott enjoys Ryan's program... If Kurt and Scott are both enjoying what he has to bring I think that says a lot for his showmanship...

but I'm biased

skatingbc

Final Flight
Heh. I call my friends "dear" and "boyo." It's not meant to be condescending. Anyway, I do think janetfan meant it in a way to indicate familiarity, not superiority. That's how I took it.

I don't mind if someone I know well and have a longstanding relationship calls me dear. That's why I said "someone I don't know".