Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

Trewyn

Medalist
WOW! I just saw the men's result; I should really read this thread to comprehend what happened; but it's the craziest result sheet I've ever seen in figure skating! Happy to see Verner pull up to fifth; but Sawyer second with 5th and 4th placements in the segments??? He's not the only one of course; other than Lysacek and Macypura who were consistently first and last there seem to be a lot of wild shiftings in the rankings! That is crazy!
Good for Verner and Bradley to have redeemed themselves! Sad Verner won't be in the final.. I actually love his programs!

Brandon and Ryan switched places!

life684

Final Flight
WOW! I just saw the men's result; I should really read this thread to comprehend what happened; but it's the craziest result sheet I've ever seen in figure skating! Happy to see Verner pull up to fifth; but Sawyer second with 5th and 4th placements in the segments??? He's not the only one of course; other than Lysacek and Macypura who were consistently first and last there seem to be a lot of wild shiftings in the rankings! That is crazy!
Good for Verner and Bradley to have redeemed themselves! Sad Verner won't be in the final.. I actually love his programs!

Brandon and Ryan switched places!

He still has some chance to qualify for the GPFs, and there are several scenarios where he could qualify they all start with Chan doing very well (win or come in second) and Brezina doing very well (win or come second ) or doing badly (he should never finish third unless some of teh non GPF contender other than chan finishes above him ).

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
LP scores

1 Evan LYSACEK USA 158.55 77.55 81.00 8.05 7.75 8.25 8.10 8.35 0.00 #12
2 Ryan BRADLEY USA 138.88 70.38 68.50 6.40 6.55 7.15 6.90 7.25 0.00 #5
3 Tomas VERNER CZE 138.16 68.06 71.10 7.50 6.70 7.05 7.15 7.15 1.00 #2
4 Shawn SAWYER CAN 137.96 68.86 69.10 6.70 6.75 7.05 7.00 7.05 0.00 #8
5 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN 131.18 72.28 58.90 5.75 5.80 5.80 6.05 6.05 0.00 #3
6 Florent AMODIO FRA 124.93 57.63 68.30 6.85 6.55 6.75 7.00 7.00 1.00 #11
7 Adrian SCHULTHEISS SWE 117.52 56.32 61.20 6.20 5.60 5.95 6.40 6.45 0.00 #9
8 Yasuharu NANRI JPN 109.49 51.69 58.80 6.35 5.60 5.70 6.00 5.75 1.00 #6
9 Andrei LUTAI RUS 107.15 49.15 60.00 6.20 5.60 5.90 6.25 6.05 2.00 #7
10 Jialiang WU CHN 105.10 55.00 51.10 5.70 4.85 5.10 5.10 4.80 1.00 #4
11 Brandon MROZ USA 102.60 42.20 61.40 6.45 6.25 5.80 6.25 5.95 1.00 #10
12 Igor MACYPURA SVK 92.57 47.07 46.50 5.20 4.25 4.55 4.75 4.50 1.00 #1

The protocols are up:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/gpusa09_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Evan did not get downgraded on his triple axels. His flip got an ! in the 3 jump combination. He got level 3 on his step sequences and spins, except one level 4 for the flying sit spin. Base value 73.43.

Ryan was not downgraded for either of his 4T's! I think this is the first time he has landed 2 in a program. He got level 4 for his 2 final spins and level 3 for his flying spin. His step sequences were level 2 and level 3. He suffered on combinations--4T2T instead of 3T, 1S3T-amazing to pull out the 3T after the pop, and 2lz2t2t when he ran out of gas at the end of the program. Base value 71.34.

Tomas Verner. Tomas got 2 level 3's and a level 1 on his spins, level 3's on his f/w and an edge call on his flip. He only had 2 combo's with 2T on the end of each and popped his salchow to a double. Base value 67.56

Shawn Sawyer's triple axel was downgraded. All three spin levels were level 4, steps level 3. He got credit for 2A3T and 3F3T. Base value 66.68

life684

Final Flight
Why is it blank on certain judges score?, is it the system randomly dropping a judges score. i don't remember seeing this in other protocols .

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Taking a wild guess at it

It looks like they were missing one judge, so there are fewer scores than expected. There are usually 9 judges and there ae only 8 sets of scores here at Skate America.

However, there is something else interesting going on:

The missing column moves between skaters so it looks like they might be randomizing the order of listing judges. The reason for doing that would be so that you can't look down the column and say, Judge 1 might be from Cheatostan, because he marks the Cheatostani skaters high and everyone else low.

Judge 1 for skater 1 is now Cheatostan, but the Cheatostani judge is Judge 4 for the second skater, and so forth

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
It looks like they were missing one judge, so there are fewer scores than expected. There are usually 9 judges and there ae only 8 sets of scores here at Skate America.

The missing column moves between skaters so it looks like they might be randomizing the order of listing judges. The reason for doing that would be so that you can't look down the column and say, Judge 1 might be from Cheatostan, because he marks the Cheatostani skaters high and everyone else low.

Judge 1 for skater 1 is now Cheatostan, but the Cheatostani judge is Judge 4 for the second skater, and so forth

Thanks Doris for that, I am guilty of some of things you mentioned, but they have listed 9 Judges in panel of Judges and i believe allnine were present to judge the event. I am more puzzled by the movement of these missing columns. Interestingly Pairs and Men's sp protocols lists the results of all 9 judges.

Or unless wicked brain of Ottavio Cinquanta has come up with another ploy to further confuse and delude us fans.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy for Sawyer and for Bradly. Both are very entertaining skaters. Both also usually have problems so it's nice to see a good result for them. I still do not get Evan's PCS. I mean what the heck are the judges seeing in him? No question he was first but...well anyway it'll be interesting to see if all skaters skate clean at the Oys (do I expect that? no. would I like it? oh yeah) what his scores are. And between skaters such as Brezina and Amodio and Rippon and Dennis Ten (I like him a lot but hope he can deal with his nerves) the future of men's skating is looking good.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok...I don't feel like reading this whole threat...but here is my take from seeing this live -
There wasn't one program that was clean..including Evan's although he made one little mistake!

Ryan so deserved the bronze. The program was great and really plays to the audience. He is the crowd favorite and I can see why.

Evan's long is amazing minus the one little mistake. If he can skate like that at the Olympics...well I see victory. It's amazing in person. He scored 238 points...not sure if that's the highest this season and I really don't feel like trying to check that out.

As for the missing judge is was judge number 7 and who knows where that judge was!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Evan's long is amazing minus the one little mistake. If he can skate like that at the Olympics...well I see victory. It's amazing in person. He scored 238 points...not sure if that's the highest this season and I really don't feel like trying to check that out.
It's not. Even with the PCS assist, it's a lower overall score than Plushenko at Rostelecom and Oda at CoC and at TEB (the latter remains the top overall score of the season). The highest SP score so far is Joubert at NHK, and the highest LP score is Oda at TEB. I'm good with Oda having the highest score so far, he totally deserves it.

If everyone or at least some people skate well in Vancouver, Evan Lysacek shouldn't even be on the podium, let alone at the top of it. Seriously, other than his fabulous sit spin he is behind most of the top guys technically, and he has been skating the same program for years. I'm sure he's exciting to watch and is great fun as a show skater, but in competition? There are at least six or seven guys who are more talented, only some are less consistent. But in comparison to the SA field this year, I'm not surprised he looked wonderful.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's not. Even with the PCS assist, it's a lower overall score than Plushenko at Rostelecom and Oda at CoC and at TEB (the latter remains the top overall score of the season). The highest SP score so far is Joubert at NHK, and the highest LP score is Oda at TEB. I'm good with Oda having the highest score so far, he totally deserves it.

If everyone or at least some people skate well in Vancouver, Evan Lysacek shouldn't even be on the podium, let alone at the top of it. Seriously, other than his fabulous sit spin he is behind most of the top guys technically, and he has been skating the same program for years. I'm sure he's exciting to watch and is great fun as a show skater, but in competition? There are at least six or seven guys who are more talented, only some are less consistent. But in comparison to the SA field this year, I'm not surprised he looked wonderful.

It must be killing certain fans that Evan refuses to succumb to competition nerves like so many others :yes:. :p

Here is a little secret for you - Plushy has been skating the same program much longer than Evan has, and so has Joubert. Or haven't you noticed ;)
And for that matter, Weir doesn't even seem to change his music :p

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

Earlier in the day Frank Carroll saw the missing judge standing at the same spot where Fassi made his infamous deal back in 1980. ;)

Unable to control his emotions, Carroll arranged to have this judge kidnapped and he is now probably "sleeping with the fishes" beneath the frigid waters of Lake Placid. ;) :biggrin:

Now that is what I call "protecting your skater" :laugh:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Evan, Shawn and Ryan. The men gave the teenagers a lesson in the art of competition last night and I hoped they paid attention. Evan is on the right track to Vancouver and has just as much a shot at medaling as the other frontrunners.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Other than Plush, is Ryan the only guy to land two quads in the LP this year? Plus a not too good 3A?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kunstrijdster, Just out of curiosity, why do you have Hello Vancouver written in Greek on your siggie picture (not why Vancouver, why Greek?)

Never mind, I get it. Tomas is skating his SP to Zorba!

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I havent had a chance to watch, but I am just sad that Tomas doesnt seem to have been at his best.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks!

I got it just before you posted (I am a little slow sometimes) It looks really nice!

It amuses me that the V's in Vancouver transliterate to B(eta)s in Greek because beta is pronounced like V. So modern Greek has no letter for what I pronounce as B. They needed the V but had lost the the digamma which had the v/w sound sometime between Homer and the Golden Age of Athens. So apparently they needed a V sound more than a B sound.

This makes it very interesting sometimes, because what to do with a real B? The Greek language Brooklyn newspaper used to represent the B in Brooklyn as M(u)P(i) as far as I remember.

For some reason, picturing Brooklyn pronounced as Mprooklyn amuses me..