Pairs LP, Saturday Nov. 14th 3:45 p.m EST | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP, Saturday Nov. 14th 3:45 p.m EST

yqs100

On the Ice
Shen and Zhao didn't have a perfect program but they definitely can't be described as having "little speed."

mate, just ignore those people who are unhappy to accept the fact or need a pair of glasses.

no matter how good Shen & Zhao perform, those people seem have similar words "little speed" "rusty" "overrated" blah blah...whatever....can they be a bit innovative?,

Shen Zhao are great! at least most people love them,,:love:

i love to skate

Medalist
mate, just ignore those people who are unhappy to accept the fact or need a pair of glasses.

no matter how good Shen & Zhao perform, those people seem have similar words "little speed" "rusty" "overrated" blah blah...whatever....can they be a bit innovative?,

Shen Zhao are great! at least most people love them,,:love:

Ummm, it's called being objective. Just because people have criticisms about their program and performance doesn't mean they don't think S/Z are a great pair. I prefer to look at skating this way and not through rose coloured glasses...

katha

On the Ice
Erm, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that he/she is any less "objective". We're basically all just sharing our personal opinions here. :)

IMO you can't really draw all that many conclusions from the scoring in these GP events. The right people won and the judges are generous with all the clear winners. We will see if any of the griping about overscoring is justified when all the top pairs meet. P/T had good scores as well. And the judges IMO often helped the inconsistent S/S out because they saw them as the top pair...so it's not like S/Z are the only ones who are getting the benefit of the doubt. ;)

sillylionlove

Medalist
Here is what happened with Duhamel and Buntin...during the 6 minutue warm up they were practing a throw...I think...anyway she popped it and landed really weird on her ankle and then proceeded to skate around the rink on one leg while shaking out her right leg. When then went over to her coach and it appeared that she tweaked her ankle. They had a discussion and then they went backstage as the warm up was over. When the started skating it was evident that she was favoring that ankle and leg and they were totally off from the beginning...so the throw that she fell on and hit her head on the ice was the same one that she tweaked her ankle on during practice. So I think that it was the injury to the ankle as when she was over at the judges...she talked about her ankle and then said that she hit her head now too. Thanks to the camera guy for getting that close up so I could read her lips!!
Oh...I saw this all live in case you guys were wondering. It's a shame to as they were having great practices!!

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was hoping they would medal! I love the way their lifts go up so fast, and yet Craig can actually land his jumps. Very impressive. :love: I like them better than D&D.

I'm so sad they had to withdraw. :cry:

wewe008

Rinkside
S/Z: not perfect, but great. Comparing to some world champion who
barely have ONE clean lp, they deserve the score 127 according to what they delivered yesterday.
Can't wait to see them in the Olympics 3 months later.
They are truely a legend in this field.

yqs100

On the Ice
Here is what happened with Duhamel and Buntin...during the 6 minutue warm up they were practing a throw...I think...anyway she popped it and landed really weird on her ankle and then proceeded to skate around the rink on one leg while shaking out her right leg. When then went over to her coach and it appeared that she tweaked her ankle. They had a discussion and then they went backstage as the warm up was over. When the started skating it was evident that she was favoring that ankle and leg and they were totally off from the beginning...so the throw that she fell on and hit her head on the ice was the same one that she tweaked her ankle on during practice. So I think that it was the injury to the ankle as when she was over at the judges...she talked about her ankle and then said that she hit her head now too. Thanks to the camera guy for getting that close up so I could read her lips!!
Oh...I saw this all live in case you guys were wondering. It's a shame to as they were having great practices!!

hope Duhamel can recover soon, I like their performance,, very powerful

Nadia01

Final Flight
What a shame about the Canadians. I hope they can recover and skate well soon.

i love to skate

Medalist
Erm, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that he/she is any less "objective". We're basically all just sharing our personal opinions here. :)

Did you actually read the post I quoted? I was referring to the parts where it said that no matter how S/Z skate those that criticize all use the same words such as little speed, rusty, etc. We also apparently need some "glasses" and are unhappy they are doing well. :rolleye: That's what I was referring to.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Ummm, it's called being objective. Just because people have criticisms about their program and performance doesn't mean they don't think S/Z are a great pair. I prefer to look at skating this way and not through rose coloured glasses...

No, it's no more "objective" than any other opinion.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice

The objectivity is called into question because speed is not that subjective an observation. Shen and Zhao clearly, by any objective measure, cannot be described as having "little speed".

i love to skate

Medalist
The objectivity is called into question because speed is not that subjective an observation. Shen and Zhao clearly, by any objective measure, cannot be described as having "little speed".

Really? You don't think they have little speed on their side by side double axels? That's exactly the reason he didn't land it! Even the commentators stated this. In the exits from their lifts - especially the first one - they are practically at a stand still!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkxdNEWZzIQ

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I've only seen little speed written on this thread, but in any case once in a while EVERY skater/team suffers from a lack of speed... especially if one or both are sick.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you will look at the blurring of the logos on the boards behind S&Z while they go into their first axel, you will see that they are fast. During the second axel, they change direction and skate towards the boards, directly away from the camera. It is impossible to tell from the video how fast they were or were not, just because their direction of travel is parallel to the line of sight of the camera.

If the commentator was working from this video ( most commentators are just using the venue- supplied TV feed-they aren't any more able to tell how fast they are skating during that segment than you and I are.) Judging speed from filmed coverage that focuses on the skater is notoriously unreliable.

Last edited:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I've only seen little speed written on this thread, but in any case once in a while EVERY skater/team suffers from a lack of speed... especially if one or both are sick.

No, not every team suffers from a lack of speed once in awhile. It's all relative. S/Z were not at their fastest, possibly because they were tired, but they did not suffer from any "lack of speed" by any objective measure. Slower than their usual is still excellent speed for any pairs team.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Really? You don't think they have little speed on their side by side double axels? That's exactly the reason he didn't land it! Even the commentators stated this. In the exits from their lifts - especially the first one - they are practically at a stand still!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkxdNEWZzIQ

They were described as having "little speed" ESPECIALLY element exits and entrances - IOW, little speed overall. Which was not the case.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
... as Doris pointed out you can't truly tell with the coverage provided, were you there and by there I mean 'objectively sitting in your seat' or is there a relative term for that too? ;)

i love to skate

Medalist
... as Doris pointed out you can't truly tell with the coverage provided, were you there and by there I mean 'objectively sitting in your seat' or is there a relative term for that too? ;)

:laugh:

So I guess from this discussion it's apparent that no one can ever say that a skater was a little bit on the slow side ever again ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I get where Doris is coming from... Evan has appeared really slow to me this year, but I know from other's comments about having issues photographing him this year that he can't be any slower than in previous years (hardest skater I've tried to photograph, that's for sure). I was merely pointing out in my post before hers that it isn't inconcevable for a skater/team to be slower in ONE competition (OMG! blasphemer!) due to illness or injury

but what do I know it's all objective, there's not relativity. ;)