Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

beep_beep

Medalist
Skating to Gone with the Wind, Emily Hughes put out a solid performance, gaining credit for three clean triples, including a triple Lutz, double toe and triple flip, double toe. She placed seventh in the free and seventh overall with 135.31 points

Solid performance alright.

Ladies with 5 triples or more are an extremely rare thing these days...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
from here.

Heh. That one is new.

Actually Kurt Browning mentioned that excuse in an interview he had after a win during a pro competition saying he'd learned so much by skating everynight in Stars on Ice stating people came to see a good performance and didn't really care if the skates were too tight (among other things). :rofl:

Last edited:
Heh. That one is new. We should totally start a list "Best excuses by skaters". "Retied my skates too tight" is in the middle, together with "the ice is crushy" (Lambiel, Worlds 2008) and "the Triple Axel only looks underrotated from a certain perspective" (Lysacek, Grand Prix 2008).

The funny thing about it is that on the live television coverage you could see that she was having trouble getting her skates tied properly. She kept fussing with them while she was waiting backstage, then when she was warming up and the judges took such a long time to get Rachael's scores tigether, she retied them again, looking again like something wasn't quite right.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I hope so as well. It's absolutely horrible that the much touted the 'greatest' female figure skater in history is doing THREE 2As in a LP...

I don't think peoples called Yuna or tout her as the greatest female figure skater in history. But she is currently the best since what, the past 10 years. That's reasonable.

She does have 3Lz+3T and 2A+3T combination, and she can go and look at all the protocols from the all the events and see how many ladies are doing the 3+3 and 2A+3T.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Medusa
Heh. That one is new. We should totally start a list "Best excuses by skaters". "Retied my skates too tight" is in the middle, together with "the ice is crushy" (Lambiel, Worlds 2008) and "the Triple Axel only looks underrotated from a certain perspective" (Lysacek, Grand Prix 2008).
It's not an excuse. She was doing it on ice for another time and what she tried to say is that those details kept her nervous. It's not an excuse, she is not denying anything.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by lakeshore
I hope so as well. It's absolutely horrible that the much touted the 'greatest' female figure skater in history is doing THREE 2As in a LP...

Oh please. Yu-na is only missing one triple in her program. The other double axel she does is a reward for doing her double axel/3toe and then the other one is a requirement. If they banned that extra double axel, they'd absolutely need to find a way to start rewarding 3/3s more which would HARDLY hurt Yu-na....

As for the excuse, I like that Mao doesn't offer excuses. But in defense of Yu-na, Yu-na is an extremely hard worker who does absolutely give it her all every time she comes out in the ice. I think she just tries to explain why she did poorly because she feels bad about it. I really did think something was off though.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist

:rofl:

I had never heard that one from Lambiel before. Seriously, how many times in her life has she tied her skates? It really isn't that difficult to get them right so they feel comfortable and even if they are too tight you should still be able to skate through it.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:rofl:

I had never heard that one from Lambiel before. Seriously, how many times in her life has she tied her skates? It really isn't that difficult to get them right so they feel comfortable and even if they are too tight you should still be able to skate through it.

your fellow Canadian Kurt Browning often talked (in interviews and his book) about how in a rush of adreniline it was easy to tie skates too tight... he also had a lot of moments in th eK&C where he immediately unlaced them and then breathed a huge sigh of relief :laugh:

wow I'm on a Kurt kick lately

i love to skate

Medalist
your fellow Canadian Kurt Browning often talked (in interviews and his book) about how in a rush of adreniline it was easy to tie skates too tight... he also had a lot of moments in th eK&C where he immediately unlaced them and then breathed a huge sigh of relief :laugh:

Sure, your feet can cramp up so bad when you finish your performance - it's like worst pain ever. :laugh:However, Kim said she retied them to tight in the middle of the warm up. Therefore, she had plenty of time to take them off, retie them, and make sure they felt right. It just seems like an odd statement to make and one that could throw a person off so much. Especially from someone who is usually so focused. Weird.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she has been nervous this entire competition for whatever reason, and she -according to Mathman- fiddled with her laces frequently before her LP... I think it was a nervous habit that cost her (pain of any kind is distracting no matter how much you try to ignore it)...

it's not me trying to excuse her, but it's believable to me that it caused her added frustration/distraction.

I think it's telling that she had the need to give a reason at all as to why she wasn't "perfect" people around her expect too much (media, fans, etc)

prettykeys

Medalist
YuNa had a bad night. Are a certain few of you done taking digs at her, or are you trying to stock up right now in case future opportunities to do so don't come up again? :)

She was nervous before she took to the ice, and yes, she fidgeted with her skates during warm-up. Neither her nor Kurt apparently practiced expertly tying boots enough.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
i love to skate
She retied them last time when she was on ice and there wasn't any much time left. Anyway, can't she do this error one time?
And it's not excuse, it's just another explanation like "my body was tense" or "This could happen anytime". Or those are excuses too?

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I was kind of surprised that when YuNa did stumble, there was an obvious break in her performance demeanor. It's been awhile since I've watched singles and I'm used to skaters not acknowledging the fall. They go down but they keep on the game face and resume as if it didn't occur. YuNa took a couple of beats each time of being out of it.

i love to skate

Medalist
i love to skate
She retied them last time when she was on ice and there wasn't any much time left. Anyway, can't she do this error one time?
And it's not excuse, it's just another explanation like "my body was tense" or "This could happen anytime". Or those are excuses too?

I never said it was an excuse....I said it was an odd statement to make. Forgive me for posting a comment about it. :rolleye:

prettykeys

Medalist
nevergonnadance, yes. I was actually afraid she was gonna drop everything, it wasn't in her to perform tonight from start to finish.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. She looked like she retied them right before she skated, during Flatt's wait for marks. Or am I misremembering?

2. What I hope is that the other skaters learn that she's not invincible. At the last worlds, Rochette admitted in a post-SP interview that she/everyone were basically skating for second now. I want Joannie to play it safe at Skate Canada and actually get to the GPF, and then explode. I know she wants that 3-3 to work (so do I). Truthfully, I think that Yu Na Kim's excellence is exciting in and of itself. While there might be no question as to the outcome (pre Skate-America, anyway) - and reading comments here, there truly wasn't - the fact that she was so on and so awesome and beautiful was just thrilling for me. So I still want that. But now... it's a whole new ballgame.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I was kind of surprised that when YuNa did stumble, there was an obvious break in her performance demeanor. It's been awhile since I've watched singles and I'm used to skaters not acknowledging the fall. They go down but they keep on the game face and resume as if it didn't occur. YuNa took a couple of beats each time of being out of it.

I think Yu-na was in shock at missing the combination. Reports were that the combination was "money" in practice-she was never missing it. I think if she had missed her 3flip, it wouldn't have thrown her because she was struggling a bit, but missing the 3lutz/3toe absolutely did.

Honestly I felt that Yu-na looked a bit releaved after the performance. I think that she was really putting a lot of stress on herself to be perfect, and I think she maybe needed a bad skate.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
I want Joannie to play it safe at Skate Canada and actually get to the GPF, and then explode. I know she wants that 3-3 to work (so do I).

Joannie isn't going to try the 3-3 anymore. She said COC was her last attempt at possibly putting it in so it sounds as if she is not going to do it. Smart move on her part if she does this- no sense in adding it in an Olympic year.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=18631.html#rochette+lands+podium