Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

cornell08

Final Flight
I think the issue actually is more that she doesn't identify as well with her LP this season. She was extremely nervous for her short program too, but she said that when the music started, the nerves disappeared and she got into the bond girl character. I think that was key for her Scheherazade last season too. I play the piano, and its alot easier to play well when you get lost in the music and are not fully conscious of your surroundings/the situation. I think its harder for her to do this with the Gershwin piece, so she has to find some way to find a deeper connection and lose herself, so to peak.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Oh no. Well, it sounds like it'd be hard to convince you otherwise, but please. Do me one favor. After the protocols are out, go and look at every single element and the GOEs. Compare them between skaters. And then make your decision.

What is sad is that figure skating has become such a jumping competition. Remember, other elements count.
Oh please, a large number of GOEs are given out pretty much based on reputation. Yuna's spins and spirals are mediocre at best, I mean sure they're fast but her positions are DEFINITELY not the prettiest.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Ok if someone wins after bombing the short and doing the long perfectly it is great job
but if someone who exelled in the short but blew the long it is a travesty
whats with the double standerd; it is COP not 6.0; the bombing the short is just and bad as bombing the long when it comes to points

Because the free skate is more flexible and you earn more points and make up the difference. It's not the same the other way around. Traditionally, the free skate is the deciding factor.

Ideally, we want to say two good programs on both nights.

herro

On the Ice
Ok if someone wins after bombing the short and doing the long perfectly it is great job
but if someone who exelled in the short but blew the long it is a travesty
whats with the double standerd; it is COP not 6.0; the bombing the short is just and bad as bombing the long when it comes to points

Good point. The main reason why people get worked up because of someone winning after a not-perfect LP is that the LP is the last thing they see.

Since it's a total points system, the SP and LP are pretty much equally important and you can make up points for one program in the other. It's just more conventional and more "acceptable" for people for someone to skate a poor and come back in the long to win. It's understandable, but the other way is completely acceptable also.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't know, I thought Yu Na deserved to win. Rachael DID win the freeskate, deservedly so, and even with her mistakes I think Yu Na's LP was above that of Julia's, singling two double axels and having some other technical problems. Plus her SP was amazing and gave her a huge lead. If Rachael had gone clean in the short, then maybe you could make the case that she should win, but she fell in the short so in that sense Yu Na should still win. If Yu Na has a melt down like this at the Olympics, I still think the only people who could beat her would be a Miki or Mao at the top of their game. People keep saying Rochette, I don't know much about her, but maybe if she puts a 3-3 in her arsenal then she could beat an off Yu Na too. That being said, I highly doubt Yu Na will meltdown again. I mean, she's YU NA KIM!

If a skater with a free skate like that wins the Olympics, there has to be something wrong with the judging system.
It was bad, no doubt (for Yu Na). But I would be much more upset if Rachael won.

Besides Rachael's strong jumping, when she's on, she's pretty average. I used to consider her musical but I'm not really seeing it now. Also... she always has an unconditioned look, like she still has her baby fat. Clearly she is conditioned, but you don't see the muscles in her legs.

It was good to see Julya and Elena Glebova turn in good FPs. Julya is like another skater this year. The pony tail helps!

herro

On the Ice
Oh please, a large number of GOEs are given out pretty much based on reputation. Yuna's spins and spirals are mediocre at best, I mean sure they're fast but her positions are DEFINITELY not the prettiest.

Reputation is part of it, yes. No doubt about that. But what Yuna does (and also Miki) is that she maximizes her GOEs and levels by doing specifically what the judges want her to do - holding positions for a certain time length, changing edges. etc. etc. These things are listed somewhere but can't find them right now.

prettykeys

Medalist
How many triple did Yuna really land? I thought she did only 2 triples. Am I the only one think her first 3Lutz looked really underrotated?
According to the protocol, YuNa landed 3 clean triples. Her lutz was considered an underrotated 2Lutz.

lakeshore

Match Penalty
It was bad, no doubt (for Yu Na). But I would be much more upset if Rachael won.

Besides Rachael's strong jumping, when she's on, she's pretty average. I used to consider her musical but I'm not really seeing it now. Also... she always has an unconditioned look, like she still has her baby fat. Clearly she is conditioned, but you don't see the muscles in her legs.

It was good to see Julya and Elena Glebova turn in good FPs. Julya is like another skater this year. The pony tail helps!

Even i don't like the Yu Na hype. I do agree she's way above Flat's level. Flat is very average in all aspects. Her jumps are not of high quality either.

cornell08

Final Flight
My favorite part of the freeskate was Julia's dress (Mao! Get her designer's number!).........yeah, I'm ready for Skate Canada.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Wait...... Rachael, when did she stop flutzing? And what the heck is going on with her spins not counting? I believe this is the second time this has happened. It is a problem of composition or a brain-farting in the competition?

Tharau

Spectator
Also... she always has an unconditioned look, like she still has her baby fat. Clearly she is conditioned, but you don't see the muscles in her legs
So there's a mark for LOOKS now?

God, this sport is disgusting -- or rather, the attitudes of some of the people who follow it. It's as bad as the fashion industry sometimes.

Didn't Jennifer Kirk's expose about eating disorders in the sport finally put a stop to thinking like this? Guess not.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Wait...... Rachael, when did she stop flutzing? And what the heck is going on with her spins not counting? I believe this is the second time this has happened. It is a problem of composition or a brain-farting in the competition?
Sure her takeoff isn't characteristic of a regular lutz but she doesn't flutz anymore, you can tell when you're watching it on TV.

herro

On the Ice
Even i don't like the Yu Na hype. I do agree she's way above Flat's level. Flat is very average in all aspects. Her jumps are not of high quality either.

Thank you. I mean, even (dare I say?) anti-Yuna fans have to admit that Yuna's skating ability is above most skaters.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I LOVE HER DRESS!!! :love: Absolutely beautiful, original. Wish Mao would get a dress like this.

Finally she gets the nice dress and hair... I remember the days whe she had tons of little bows on her outfits, good she has taken a different direction :clap:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Sure her takeoff isn't characteristic of a regular lutz but she doesn't flutz anymore, you can tell when you're watching it on TV.

Yeah, I was watching on a fuzzy live stream. So props to Rachael doing all the 6 different take offs in her program.

life684

Final Flight

i enjoyed Rachael's jump, but overall performance was a bit boring, she looked slow to me, then it is me. hopefully she will improve her speed and presentation in coming months

cornell08

Final Flight
So there's a mark for LOOKS now?

God, this sport is disgusting. Didn't Jennifer Kirk's expose about eating disorders in the sport finally put a stop to thinking like this? Guess not.

There is such a double standard-- its usually overlooked when someone comments on how fit men are, but its taboo to comment on women. I'm a girl and I think thats complete BS. Athletes put themselves out there, and to comment on their physique in terms of conditioning/fitness is completely reasonable if not inevitable. Do we have to keep euphemizing with beat-around-the-bush statements like 'long lines'? No one was commenting about eating disorders. And to be honest, I agree with Spun Silver.

Last edited:

herro

On the Ice

I also think Rachael is starting to gain some of that "reputation" from the judges for sure. Good for her. She's done well at worlds last year. Her lutz isn't the most obvious outside takeoff edge, but the judges now are accepting it. Other skaters with similar takeoffs would probably get penalized though...