2009 Skate Canada Preview | Golden Skate

2009 Skate Canada Preview

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ouch, this writer was being kind of harsh on Mirai, saying that she "will not medal at this event is she does not fix her jumps", pretty sure there are many nicer ways she could have phrased that. Give the girl a break, she's a junior in highschool which is stressful enough and then she's grown 8 inches in the past two and a half years (4'7" at 2007 nats, 5'4" now) and clearly has some self esteem issues which reading an article like that WON'T help. I mean, she won nationals 2 years ago and won the short program a few weeks ago...she doesn't have to prove to anyone that she's good. I want her to medal/win at SC just to show that silly reporter. Mirai is awesome! :yes:

amateur

Final Flight
Ouch, this writer was being kind of harsh on Mirai, saying that she "will not medal at this event is she does not fix her jumps", pretty sure there are many nicer ways she could have phrased that. Give the girl a break, she's a junior in highschool which is stressful enough and then she's grown 8 inches in the past two and a half years (4'7" at 2007 nats, 5'4" now) and clearly has some self esteem issues which reading an article like that WON'T help. I mean, she won nationals 2 years ago and won the short program a few weeks ago...she doesn't have to prove to anyone that she's good. I want her to medal/win at SC just to show that silly reporter. Mirai is awesome! :yes:

Umm, there was no harsh criticism there whatsoever, that is just called stating facts - She did not medal at her last event with those jump problems. Mirai herself obviously knows this, since she was there. There was no actual put-down in the article beyond that to further rattle her self esteem.... Same jump problems will equal same result.
She simply has to work and be patient for results; if she is talented enough the results will come sooner or later.

By the way, not everyone's favourites can be at the top of everyone's prediction list; a good many of the competitors are "awesome" in one way or another ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, I guess you are right. I've just been a little worried about girl after I read this article in September, http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/oly...n-lysacek-figure-skating-winter-olympics.html . Mirai needs to calm down, she's a good skater and will get it together soon enough to show people that. If not this Olympics then she can try for the next one, she'd only be 20 there. I mean look who won the bronze medal this past weekend at 28? I hope Mirai breaks it down at SC :rock:

That's some impressive article! Lots of knowledgeable detail and pretty objective, all things considered. I'm sure I'll refer back to it throughout the week. I love the description of Alyssa: a gorgeous skater with every tool at her disposal except confidence. I also was interested in the analysis of what happens to her when she chokes up: that she gets lethargic, slows down, and so doesn't have enough rotation power for her jumps. I never thought of that as a possible explanation of her distress.

I'm glad we get to see Suzuki again! I hope her earlier win wasn't a fluke, and that she tears up the ice...and comes in behind Alyssa and Mirai! (I'm not being chauvinistic--I just want them to do well. They're due!) I hope Phaneuf and Rochette also sizzle.

And we get to see Brezina skate again, and Virtue and Moir? Lucky us! (Or in my case, lucky us once someone gets generous with his/her time on YouTube.)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Predicting the GPs has gotten pretty difficult - even in the dance! - but the preview does make sense. Except this:
Canada's Joannie Rochette will look to get revenge on Japan's Akiko Suzuki and Finland's Kiira Korpi who placed ahead of her in Beijing.
It will be kind of hard to get revenge against Kiira considering she's not skating this weekend. Is it revenge by proxy through Laura Lepisto? :biggrin:

silverlake22, I don't think that was harsh criticism. Mirai tends to UR her jumps, URs carry a serious penalty, therefore she can't be considered a contender unless she sorts out this problem. Poorscorer did some analysis recently, and apparently she had the second highest UR percentage of all the ladies last season, and at the time was third highest in 2009-10. Nobody can be seriously competitive in that situation.

Joannie, BTW, was the best in this regard last season among all singles skaters - 0 downgrades in 71 jump elements.

nylynnr

On the Ice
Excellent, excellent preview. Really complete.

The biggest change I would have with the predictions is that I don't see Dube and Davison beating Mukhortova and Trankov, unless the latter team reverts to its free skate form at '08 Skate America. I also believe Czisny will be third.