CD Friday Nov. 20th 6:30 PM Eastern Time | Page 3 | Golden Skate

CD Friday Nov. 20th 6:30 PM Eastern Time

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno Dyan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but both CDs this season are seniors only, right? So I'd assume a team that's been in seniors longer would have a leg up (ie, W/P over S/B - S/B did say before TEB that they hadn't done a Golden Waltz before. I don't know how true that is for a Tango Romantica, though and given that W/P only have one senior season on S/B, don't know how much credence to give it). W/P have a home country advantage, but that really only takes you so far. I do prefer S/B as a team, but I agree that W/P have better programs. But I also like S/B's free, and I'm the only one who does. (Link here).

Dyan

On the Ice
You are right ImaginaryPogue. I had forgotten that S&B haven't been senior skaters as long as W&P have. I based my opinion regarding the OD on the fact that N&B actually beat S&B in that portion at TEB although IIRC, S&B made mistakes on a twizzle sequence. I don't think many people liked their OD any better than the FD.

I admit to not being a huge S&B fan but can see why others are. Emily and Evan are very good technically but I wish their coaches would give them better FD's. Or perhaps I should say I wish they had FD's that were better artistically since they do get the levels they need. I've liked a couple of their OD's but so far the FD's have left me cold.

Not quite off topic but is Universal Sports not airing any icedancing from Skate Canada? I'm wondering if the Skate Canada schedule will keep Universal from being able to show any of the dance competition much the same way we saw none of the icedancing from NHK.

I've checked the schedules but so far through tomorrow night there is just pairs, mens and ladies scheduled.

eta:
Thanks for the link.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Speaking as a Canadian who is very pro S&B , I agree their FDs have been lacking ...mainly in character , which is a shame, because the team can be so expressive. Their music is just so generic.Hoping for something more next year.

Happy for W&P.Looking forward to an accident -free OD from them. Technical considerations aside, I thought P&B's Tango expression was far below V&M's,that could have had something to do with the differential.

I like the placements..:rofl:..It's so refreshing to be able to say that!

herios

Medalist
Yes-nearly 41 is a score for a nearly perfect CD, if you compare that to previous world championship winning CD's. Maybe 39, because it's better than D&W's, but I thought D&W were scored a bit high in the CD also.

I want to see the sharpness, no pushing, no snow kick ups, and the spirit of Pakhomova's tango ruling even when the music is turned off to score 40 to 41. No one has done that for me yet.

I think Navka / Kostomarov scored above 45, so there is plenty room above 40...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes to Navka, but the CD guidelines have been changed since, and those kind of scores have not been seen since. (The year Navka got 45, B&A got 43 at Skate America)

Best CD at last 4 world championships (post Navka). Note B&A were at all those championships and weren't getting CD scores in the 43 range.

2006 Denkova/Staviski 38.46 (Ravensburger)
2007 Worlds Dubreuil/Lauzon 38.96 (Rhumba)
2008 Delobel/Schoenfelder 40.73 (Argentine Tango)
2009 Domnina/Shabalin 40.77 (Paso Doble)

The scoring for the expected winner at all the GP events in all 4 disciplines has seemed out of line to me. I think Mr. Cinquanta wants some 'world records' at the Olympics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IN has it on demand.

Bold broadcast the whole competition and the CBC broadcast V&M's CD, so I expect that we will see youtubes at some point.