Mens Short Program Friday 19:55 Eastern Time Nov 20th | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Mens Short Program Friday 19:55 Eastern Time Nov 20th

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Takahashi shouldn't have been downgraded on the 3T. He didn't have the best quality on that combo, but the tech caller ignored his technique. He pre-rotates less than normal on the toepick, so the jump begins earlier. His rotation was sufficient.

I'd still have him in 2nd, though. Abbott's SP is the best of the year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Final outcome of this is still hard to predict... Patrick could possibly still win, if he is able to shake this off and if he is in good enough condition, and IF Abbott and Takahashi don't skate particularly well tomorrow. If Chan really is still rusty though, then it's more likely to be between Abbott and Takahashi, Chan more likely for Bronze. Denis Ten and Brezina potential spoilers if either has a great skate, while others bomb... who knows?

Oh, sure! Seeing as how Chan got the highest PCS scores for a program that was a piece of C**P, no doubt if he just shows up and lands a few triples, he'll easily sail pass the 5 men ahead of him. If he's not perfect, he'll get PCS scores 10 points or more higher than the other men.

This is Skate CANADA, after all.

How Chan could get such high PCS scores with a performance that included an underrotated 3A with a fall, only a 3/2 and a shaky 3Z, two botched spins and messy footwork? Yes, he should have been way down in the standings, but he should NOT be 10 points out of first place.

M

mylastduchess

Really...? I now couldn't possibly even imagine how any Canadian (including myself) could refuse to admit the PCS infaltion of Canadian Skaters. Patrick Chan with 2 shaky spins still got the highest PCS?

Yes I know he has great edges and choreo, but so did Abbot and Takahashi

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I am really surprised that Patrick's PCS is higher than Takahashi's. I am sorry but I can't stand Patrick Chan more and more! He might have great skating skills, but Am I the only one feel that Patrick is not there yet when it comes to expressing the music, maturity, and interpretation?

Ximena

Final Flight
Being the favorite and hometown advantage always is a factor, before it was just for nationals events but all the GP has shown that being from the home country, boost your marks, so I was not really surprised to see Chan's PCS but if tomorrow he wins overall by one point or two, it would be really sad because his PCS on the SP were way too high.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Congratulations to the top 3. I'm so impressed with Denis Ten tonight! :rock: What a showman! So far Denis and Michal are my favorite youngsters going into 2014. :yes:

I believe it is possible for one of those two--Denis or Michael--to make the podium at 2010 Olympics! In fact I'm making that prediction. It is not unheard of for a young gentleman skater to land on the Olympic podium amongst more mature skating giants. Remember Petrenko, the kid, coming out of nowhere and slipping in for bronze as the Brians were duking it out for gold and silver? And that happened at Canadian Winter Olympics--in 1988!!!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I disagree with you. Chan deserve his PCS even if he had a bad day technically.

I agree that Chan deserved his PCS, but on the other hand e.g. Takahashi and Abbott did not get the PCS they deserved, IMO. If the freeskate competition between Chan, Abbott and Takahashi will be really close, Chan will have unfair advantage.

Last edited:

oxade21

Match Penalty
I love Chan's conversation with his coach while looking at scores:)
"What's the presentation score????" Yeah, Patrick, that's all you can hope for- THE EVER-SO INFLATED PCS!!!:rofl:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I couldn't watch, but I'm very happy with the top 3! If that's how it stays after the LP, that would be great.

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but Jeremy Abbott dedicated the SP to a friend of his, who died in a skiing accident earlier in the day. Haley Rose Gans was a skater in Colorado Springs, and died at the age of 14. So sad.

shine

Record Breaker
I really love Abbott's skating, with a passion. In addition to his technical brilliance, I'm just in awe of his musicality, his style, his ease of movement, and his expression. When he's on, nothing he does is short of amazing. If he could just learn to be consistent, he really deserves to be an Olympic champion.

Last edited:

Milas

Rinkside
The placement is fair, but I don't really get why an clean Takahashi got lower PCS than Chan who messed up? Sure, Dai's a bit rusty, but still. :scratch:

Edit: They called him on the 3t, underrotated? Ok, so he wasn't completely clean, but he didn't fall.

Last edited:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Chan seems so arrogant. His skate was bad. Dai looks like he is improving. I hope he peeks at the Olympics.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Watched my TVU recording just now (but missed the first 20 mins or so). I can't believe I missed Denis Ten in LA (traffic) and I missed him again tonight!

Anyway yay for Daisuke. Love the program, love the choreography, love his passion. The spins were a bit weak but I got goosebumps!

Jeremy was great again. The landing of the 3axel was neat! I love how relaxed/ intentionally loose (can't think of a good word) his upper body movements are.

Oh, sure! Seeing as how Chan got the highest PCS scores for a program that was a piece of C**P, no doubt if he just shows up and lands a few triples, he'll easily sail pass the 5 men ahead of him. If he's not perfect, he'll get PCS scores 10 points or more higher than the other men.

This is Skate CANADA, after all.

How Chan could get such high PCS scores with a performance that included an underrotated 3A with a fall, only a 3/2 and a shaky 3Z, two botched spins and messy footwork? Yes, he should have been way down in the standings, but he should NOT be 10 points out of first place.
hmmm. I like Chan but not that much, and he can perform a heluva a lot better than what he showed.

Do we actually believe the 6.0 problems of the past have been resolved? hmmm :confused: