Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21

shine

Record Breaker
Just wanted to comment on Abbott's program. I think we are finally starting to see the true greatness of this program. It's apparent how far this program has come since Japan Open. The intensity and passion are absolutely beautiful. Also want to point out that if you are watching this on the computer, you MUST have a working bass for your speakers to see Jeremy's rhythm! I'm just so in awe of his musicality, the way he carries the phrasing and mood of music. Does anyone know if he has an extensive music background? It's hard to believe otherwise because everything he does is not just intrinsically musical, but so sophisticated at the same time. Absolutely love his skating to pieces.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am so happy that Jeremey won. His freeskate was awsome. Smart to take out the second triple axel if he felt he would not land it clean. He already did the tquad, which Takahaski did not so he had that edge over him. Somehow I was getting a very Evan-esque vibe from his new program and the black suit but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Takahasi: love that program, but i feel like he performed it better at NHK. Deserved second.

Chan: not impressed. Not only were the jumps non existent but I don't think that POTO really works for him as music or as a theme. I remember how he used to hit every single note of music like in the Vivaldi Four Season he did two years ago. Now the program does not seem to play up his musicality. I end up comparing it to all the phantoms we have seen. Bad music choice, and the cuts he picked weren't that great either.
What is also off-putting is his seeming acceptance of how he performed. Maybe he pratcices have been worse...i don't know, but if he really was not ready why did he compete?

i love to skate

Medalist
What is also off-putting is his seeming acceptance of how he performed. Maybe he pratcices have been worse...i don't know, but if he really was not ready why did he compete?

Because it is an Olympic year and it was his only chance at an international competition. Very poor idea to go into the Olympics with no feedback from international judges....especially when you are a medal contender.

How is it off putting? He wasn't expecting a perfect program, he knows what he has to work on; ie. stamina, he needs to readjust his competition day schedule, and is going to have a simulated competition. He has had to scale back the amount of jumps he does in a day so he doesn't reinjure himself. With limited training time he probably knew what his performance capabilities were.

They're just showing the Men's programs on NBC. Gaak, Patrick took about three really distressing falls. But despite that, you can see his grace. This guy never just skates from jump to jump. He has a wonderful command of the music, though like many of you, I'd prefer another piece rather than Phantom.

Now Brezina's on. Golly, what height he gets on the triple axel! He's not at his best today, but you can still see what quality he has. I have no complaints about his music! I just love Gershwin, and it's really wonderful for showing off a skater's musicality and presentation.

Interesting that the women's field is so weak and inconsistent right now (with a few exceptions, of course), while there's a whole raft of men who don't just jump but also perform the music with insight. And many of these artistic skaters are young enough so they stand a good chance of being in the next Olympic cycle as well.

schiele

Final Flight
So who thinks we can basically count on the FFSG sending Préaubert to competitions now? Euros at least?

Yep, I think he should be. As much as I was rooting for Ponsero, Preaubert has a higher chance of showing consistency. I can't imagine they are thinking of sending a totally inexperienced youngster to OC for the second spot?? I think it must be Alban now.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wait, they only get two spots at Euros this year? Even with a first and fourth place at last year's event?

Or are you talking about the Olympic Games. I think Amodio's youth actually plays in his favour.

Michal BREZINA reminded me of Tim Goeble and Jeff Buttle combined.

I am trying to picture this...:cool:

Well, now that I have seen the whole thing on the big small screen (as opposed to the small small screen), I have to say...for my money, Preubert was the best. Smooth, cool, hit every jump. I bet Mick Jagger loved it. :yes:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Michal BREZINA reminded me of Tim Goeble and Jeff Buttle combined.

To me, the only connection between Brezina and Goebel is that they have skated the same music.

I have just watched men's LP on NBC. Some thoughts:

Patrick: I had same feeling as I had seen him on Youtube yesterday. I felt sorry for him. I wish that all the medias scale back a little and give him some room to breath and he himself stops talking. I wish him do better at the Canadian Nationals.

Jeremy: I loooove his classical skating style and his costume! I am very happy that he finally skated a clean quad with plus GOE. I feel that he could use more attacks in his LP and add a bit more power in it. That'll be more attractive.

Daisuke: I admire his artistic abilities. But he is not all there yet. So he was not what I thought he should be. Glad he is improving as the season goes.

Michal: Not very impressed performance like last week's. He is young and has time.

Dennis: I love this cute little boy's performance - power and beauty at the same time. Hope he has consistant jumps to go with it.

Alban: Don't like his skating at all. It's good that he has had clean program but I have nothing to say about it.

If I list this last group of men from the most favorite to the least favorite (not consider this time's performance), I will say:

Jeremy, Patrick, Daisuke, Dennis, Michal, then a big gap, Alban.:)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh but alban looks so HAPPY when he skates, he has not good posture and he is sloppy but he is one of few that looks like he is enjoying being a skater, most look sceptical and/or scared of the competition. I like his clockwork orange approach. Lp not so much, too messy. But he did medal so kudos to him!
I have watched almost nothing from men in SC, just saying.:p

jennylovskt

Medalist
oh but alban looks so HAPPY when he skates, he has not good posture and he is sloppy but he is one of few that looks like he is enjoying being a skater, most look sceptical and/or scared of the competition. I like his clockwork orange approach. Lp not so much, too messy. But he did medal so kudos to him!
I have watched almost nothing from men in SC, just saying.:p

You are right. He doesn't have good posture and seems sloppy. His style reminds me of roller skaters and skateboarders. Not my cup of tea.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Because Daisuke always make sure that the juges focus on his hair instead of his take off edge.. that's why his hair look like that.

As for Oda, he had his fly down at NHK to make sure the judges focus on something else other than his take off edge. You need to be creative in order to avoid getting "e" and "!".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::

Alban: Don't like his skating at all. It's good that he has had clean program but I have nothing to say about it.

Wow, just goes to show how different people are. Although I had the TV on for the whole hour, Preubert's program was the only one I liked well enough to watch all the way through.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Wow, just goes to show how different people are. Although I had the TV on for the whole hour, Preubert's program was the only one I liked well enough to watch all the way through.

I agree! I was at the arena, and even from my nosebleed seats at the men's event, it was clear that Preaubert had energy and verve. It's true that he's not the most sophisticated or elegant skater out there, but sometimes it's refreshing just to see a skater go out there and have some fun, air-guitar and all.

Though I must add that I enjoyed Takahashi and Abbott's programs as well

On the strength of today's competition, whom do I like best? Sigh...I'm tempted to say Patrick Chan, whose movement is so obviously propelled by the music, despite his (temporarily) lamentable jumps. The other one who impressed me is my old favorite Daisuke. I'm so glad he's back, and he also has wonderful musicality as well as athleticism. Of all the men who are contenders, he's the one I most want to see win a medal, though I'm not committing to the gold. (The future is open, and the ice is slippery; I try not to build castles in the air too soon in the year.) I haven't yet seen Oda's Chaplin routine, which I'm sure I'll also love. And I haven't seen all the Americans this year; I'd sure love to root for one of them.

Bennett

Record Breaker
On the strength of today's competition, whom do I like best? Sigh...I'm tempted to say Patrick Chan, whose movement is so obviously propelled by the music, despite his (temporarily) lamentable jumps. The other one who impressed me is my old favorite Daisuke. I'm so glad he's back, and he also has wonderful musicality as well as athleticism. Of all the men who are contenders, he's the one I most want to see win a medal, though I'm not committing to the gold. (The future is open, and the ice is slippery; I try not to build castles in the air too soon in the year.) I haven't yet seen Oda's Chaplin routine, which I'm sure I'll also love. And I haven't seen all the Americans this year; I'd sure love to root for one of them.
i feel that Dai may do better without a quad this season. He still seems to have a stamina issue. The consistency in practice also does not sound good.

Don't forget you don't discuss skaters until you've read the protocols. No?