Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21

I agree! I was at the arena, and even from my nosebleed seats at the men's event, it was clear that Preaubert had energy and verve. It's true that he's not the most sophisticated or elegant skater out there, but sometimes it's refreshing just to see a skater go out there and have some fun, air-guitar and all.

Though I must add that I enjoyed Takahashi and Abbott's programs as well
I read all this as pro-Ladies. Beautiful performances by Daisuke and Abbot. But what about Caroline, the next best thing since chopped liver.

schiele

Final Flight
Wait, they only get two spots at Euros this year? Even with a first and fourth place at last year's event?

Or are you talking about the Olympic Games. I think Amodio's youth actually plays in his favour.

Yep, I was talking about olympics, not Euros. I think Amadio will get a trip to Euros for sure, I'm sure the Fed wants to give him as much exposure as possible as he's the next big thing now.
For me, the highlight of men's LP was Alban. Ye's he has bad bad posture, he doesn't have flowing lines, he's a total goofball. But he makes me want to sit through the whole thing and just enjoy. Same with Alenova. I understand they get criticised for not being polished or not conforming to the elegant style but I'd rather have some with obvious joy for what they do than someone who is doing pefectly what they are given without adding that flavour. Unfortunately, I don't see that flavour in Taka so far, he was absolutely divine before the injury. Maybe it's stamina issue rite now, maybe not. I don't know.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm SO PROUD of Jeremy and Daisuke for rebounding so well from their performances at the NHK Trophy. WAY TO GO, GUYS! You both put on an entertaining show! Now on to the GPF!!:love::bow::rock::clap::yes:

KKonas

Medalist
Having seen Chan's LP, it's painful to watch. All the hypes and pressure didn't do good to him.

Chan is an excellent skater but believing in your own press (hype) is dangerous.
In a pre-Skate Canada press conf. he said he and his choreographer laughed at Plushenko's Cup of Russia's performance. I don't think he will be laughing in Vancouver. Plushenko doesn't have Chan's elegance but he does have consistent jumps, lots of them - including quads- and the Olympics is above all a sporting event - that's its motto - faster, higher, stronger - not necessarily just prettier. While Worlds can be won without a quad as we have seen, I doubt very much a skate without a quad in the men's event at OG will win gold. And Plushenko isn't the only skater with a quad. Hopefully saner voices will prevail to keep Chan reality based as he heads to Vancouver.

Kinga

Medalist
I thought Abbott looked GREAT in his new costume. It actually helped me to notice that he is very tall, I have not had that feeling before. I went to ISU biographies to check out his height, and I found out that he trains only 16h/week. Is it possible or was it just a typo?

Can someone get Patrick over to Shae-Lynn Bourne? Please? Shae-Lynn knows how to put together CoP-savvy programs that look like more than the sum of their parts. Or Kurt Browning, he could get Chan to do something fun. At the age of 18, he should be having fun on the ice.

I think he has fun with the stuff he is doing. He should enjoy himself, not using something WE think would be fun for him. And I guess he does.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I thought Abbott looked GREAT in his new costume. It actually helped me to notice that he is very tall, I have not had that feeling before. I went to ISU biographies to check out his height, ...

After I read this, I went to there to check too. Abbott is only 5'9". I can't believe it! He looked like 6'. I thought he was taller than Weir.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I'm SO PROUD of Jeremy and Daisuke for rebounding so well from their performances at the NHK Trophy. WAY TO GO, GUYS! You both put on an entertaining show! Now on to the GPF!!:love::bow::rock::clap::yes:

They sure did. I just finished watching the Men's Medal Ceremony and those guys looked so darn happy and proud to be standing on the podium, all three of them were just beaming. I liked how Jeremy applauded Dai when he skated out then both Dai and Jeremy applauded for Alban when he skated out. Nice to see a podium where all of the medalist not just the winner looked truly happy.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen Abbott live on the floor without skates, and he is a small guy---maybe 5'8" or 5'9" with a slight build. I agree his costume makes him look taller, and that is a good thing.

shine

Record Breaker
After I read this, I went to there to check too. Abbott is only 5'9". I can't believe it! He looked like 6'. I thought he was taller than Weir.
Before I saw him live at 4CC earlier this year, I had always thought he was TALL. Like Lysacek tall. I was so surprised to see that he actually was only 5'9. I think this is partly because his lines and stretch. He's all about amplitude and moving big. He just has a great presence on the ice.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, I loved Preaubert's FS. He really knows how to sell a program, and when he's landing his jumps, he's a lot of fun. His was one of the most enjoyable programs I've seen recently.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Before I saw him live at 4CC earlier this year, I had always thought he was TALL. Like Lysacek tall. I was so surprised to see that he actually was only 5'9. I think this is partly because his lines and stretch. He's all about amplitude and moving big. He just has a great presence on the ice.

I have to agree with your post, shine, in particular the bold parts I highlighted.

Regards Jeremy's height, I'm shocked to find out he's only 5'9". He looked so much taller than the other guys at SC when they were getting off the ice. Also when he was on the awards stand with the other medalists he literally towered over Daisuke Takahashi. Then again Evgeni Plushenko is the same way, but even moreso! At Rostelecom Cup his breadth of chest, manly presence, and overall aura just blew everyone else away. Thus, I was equally shocked to find out Evan Lysacek is actually taller than Zhenya by a few inches. One would never know.

Regards Jeremy's presence on ice & how he skates *big*, I must agree. There is one particular move that he does in his SP that is the epitomy of what I speak, it comes at exactly 110:41 (if watching IN's coverage). At this moment he looks at the judges while his left leg makes a huge stroke backwards, literally caressing the ice, it gave me chills. There are other moments of course (e.g. 110:11, 110:18, 111:52, 112:51), but this one move stands out the most to me. Truly, the entire program is a masterpiece.

But it is the s-k-a-t-e-r that makes it come alive! It was as if the music was coming from within Jeremy, as if he were the music, not just skating to it. No, Jeremy was one with the music, he was the music. Awesome to see that first time. Lol, he had me at hello, at that first note. :)

I was so moved by his performance at NHK that I went to look for that particular Beatles song the very next day, and had to watch Cirque du Soleil Beatles Love Show on t.v.

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
They sure did. I just finished watching the Men's Medal Ceremony and those guys looked so darn happy and proud to be standing on the podium, all three of them were just beaming. I liked how Jeremy applauded Dai when he skated out then both Dai and Jeremy applauded for Alban when he skated out. Nice to see a podium where all of the medalist not just the winner looked truly happy.

I missed the medal ceremony but I'll check it on icenetwork. How nice! So far the men's discipline has been far more interesting than the ladiezzzzzz this season. :clap:

schiele

Final Flight
I missed the medal ceremony but I'll check it on icenetwork. How nice! So far the men's discipline has been far more interesting than the ladiezzzzzz this season. :clap:

Even the pairs have been more interesting and of higher quality than ladies.
I have a suspicion that its all a grand scheme. When come olympics, its actually going to be ladies standing and all the others wiping the ice with their backs.. :laugh::laugh: