Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

More hugs for Blades. Sorry, I just wasn't that impressed with that program. IMO it doesn't suit her. Joannie is not the seductive type and there was nothing on her face until the end to fit the mood of that number. The performance was fine but not as superior as the score indicates.

I missed most of this comp. Very annoyed to miss Mirai and Caroline, and my internet connection died in the middle of Alissa's skate. What I saw looked incredibly slow and cautious to me, though.

The French announcer(s) are funny! "OOOOOOOOHHHH, laaa!" I can't understand most of what they're saying but I love hearing them emote. They seem to be equal opportunity emoters.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think she could pull the rug under the favorite and take the gold... looking solid. If she can hold her composure and skate great at Vancouver, whoever skates after her is going to in for a ride. I can just imagine the crowd at Pacific Coliseum if she gives a performance like this... it will bring down the house!

i love to skate

Medalist
Well Joannie previous personal best was 67 so the 70 is only three points higher - It's not like it was a 10 point difference. But of course the only reason she could get that is because she is Canadian....:sheesh:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Did she land the 3-3?

You'd think so.

Joannie seems lovely and I respect her so much for working on edge issues, maximising what she's got, etc. but I just don't think she's a '70' skater. The judges obviously do.

Ok it's 7am here so I'll stop rambling and get some sleep!

amateur

Final Flight
It's pretty hard to imagine Joannie not winning this event now.

I didn't catch most of the performance because my feed froze. But getting a 70 is a hugely "symbolic" victory for Joannie here... if Yun-na can "deserve" a 76, Joannie can surely "deserve" a 70, with the overall quality of everything she does and the cohesiveness of her programs.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Joannie executed everything well, why shouldn't she get at least a 70? Look at the last olympics when someone like Sasha getting a 69 for a flutz combo.

Joannie didn't execute everything well. Her layback is poor and I wouldn't qualify any of her other non-jump elements as *GREAT*.

Sasha got a 66.73, btw (although it should have been higher). Sasha is better on every non-jump element in comparison to Joannie and WAY better in her presentation.

figuristka

Medalist
I think Joannie was the best overall in the short but Alissa's is really graceful and flexible , so really is lovely to watch.

Is the OD starting now?

Phoenix347

Final Flight
wow joannie was great gosh i did not expect that score but thats great. Maybe Yu na will have some challengers.

They always seems to like Laura even if she misses jumps, guess its the speed.

Well, it could be that innate Finnish beauty that all Finnish lady skaters seem to have. :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Just managed to watch the second group and the result is really surprising.
Laura is above Akiko?? With that jump content?? What did she do? Level 5 steps??
And Joannie was great, but was she 7 points better than Alissa?? Okay, Alissa lips so there goes about 3 points, but still.
Wow.
Anyway, it is a very interesting competition indeed!!

Joannie skates with more speed, power, and confidence and has a more consistent track record in competition, so she deserves to beat Alissa when she skates well.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I didn't catch most of the performance because my feed froze. But getting a 70 is a hugely "symbolic" victory for Joannie here... if Yun-na can "deserve" a 76, Joannie can surely "deserve" a 70, with the overall quality of everything she does and the cohesiveness of her programs.

That's how I see it, too. The 3-3 is not that important that Joannie shouldn't be rewarded with a 70, too.

I think the Tango suits her very well, Tango is supposed to be passionate, naughty in a grown-up way - but at the same time it's a very restrained dance, and I think Joannie has the perfect personality on ice for that.

Boo, at Lepistö's marks. And at Suzuki's, too.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But getting a 70 is a hugely "symbolic" victory for Joannie here... if Yun-na can "deserve" a 76, Joannie can surely "deserve" a 70, with the overall quality of everything she does and the cohesiveness of her programs.

Exactly. Thank you! :agree:

figuristka

Medalist
Well, it could be that innate Finnish beauty that all Finnish lady skaters seem to have. :)

To me Cynthia was just as good as Laura. Though like Costner the judges always seem to reward speed. LOL iam not Finnish so hope thats not the case for them lol.

amateur

Final Flight
re: Joannie's score compared to Alissa.. I'm not watching live, but I feel rather sure Joannie's flow across the ice, and overall performance level, is MUCH better than that of Alissa. Joannie probably has more difficult transitions/choreo. Alissa has amazing excellent spins, her one clear advantage, but Joannie better GOE on jumps, to probably even that out more or less....

I wonder how the expression of this program comes off live? Someone commented about her not looking seductive enough, not expressing with her face.. but this is the kind of thing that seems more important on screen than in the arena, I'd wager.... something to keep in mind.

Layfan

Record Breaker
You'd think so.

Joannie seems lovely and I respect her so much for working on edge issues, maximising what she's got, etc. but I just don't think she's a '70' skater. The judges obviously do.

Ok it's 7am here so I'll stop rambling and get some sleep!

Yeah don't know about the 70 ... but if she did land the 3-3 ... let's face it. She deserves to be way ahead of everyone else in this field.
I don't know about the scores but I think the rankings were about right ... except Akiko being lower than Lepisto :indiff::indiff:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's how I see it, too. The 3-3 is not that important that Joannie shouldn't be rewarded with a 70, too.

It's not just the 3-3, though?

Yu-Na is a better performer (SO much more personality) and she is better on other technical elements in comparison to Joannie as well, not just the combination jump.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Joannie didn't execute everything well. Her layback is poor and I wouldn't qualify any of her other non-jump elements as *GREAT*.

Sasha got a 66, btw (although it should have been higher). Sasha is better on every non-jump element in comparison to Joannie and WAY better in her presentation.

Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Please Yuna's layback is not that great either and she gets a level 4. Rochette's spirals are about extension and above hip level with good speed. Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Sasha is a better performer and known for her spins and spirals. However, I would never put her skating skills above Rochette. Cohen has poor edge work.

Last edited:

sjwh08

Rinkside
I'd be happy with the overall result if 3 points of Joannie's PCS is transferred to Akiko's PCS.

Other than that, good job Alissa! :clap::clap: