Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Yeah sure, sour grapes. It was a textbook program
Meh, I wouldn't go that far as to call it textbook. I mean she has nice jumps, great skating skills, and pretty good interpretation, but just like Yuna her spirals and spins aren't anything spectacular (which is why I don't understand why these two garner such high GOEs for these elements).

diotima

Spectator
I'd be happy with the overall result if 3 points of Joannie's PCS is transferred to Akiko's PCS.

Other than that, good job Alissa! :clap::clap:

ITA.
Akkiko's PCS was too low. Her musicality and expressiveness rewarded more generously.
Also, I couldn't see anything special in Joannie's performance that PCS went up 31.xx though she has good skating skills.

i love to skate

Medalist
:laugh: Oh i am so glad I am going to be at the Olympics and not on these boards during those two weeks! It is only going to get worse and worse...

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Joannie traveled quite a bit on her layback and had less speed than Yu-Na (in addition to being level 3 rather than level 4). That's a big difference.

Joannie usually don't have great speed OR edge control in her spins, sorry.

Her footwork was not great here either.

As for the comparison to Cohen, Joannie has better edges in her stroking but she is inferior in every other regard when comparing the presentation.

Wow, were you even watching the SP? Rochette's spins are centered. She improved her spins a lot compared to what she had before. Rochette may not have the same speed as Yuna, but she is certainly not skating like Zhang out there. PCS are not personality on ice points. Artistry is subjective just because Rochette doesn't perform a flashy program doesn't mean a subtle program can't score well under CoP.

Basics

On the Ice
I would grade Joannie's performance that she just gave as:

3Lz + 2T ----------------> +1 GOE ---> 8.3 points
3F ------------------------> +1 GOE ---> 6.5 points
Flying Sit (level 4) -----> +1 GOE ---> 3.5 points
2Axel ---------------------> +1 GOE ---> 4.5 points
Spiral Sequence (level 4) --> +1 GOE ---> 4.4 points
Layback (level 3) ------------> -1 GOE -----> 2.0 points
Footwork Sequence (level 3) ---> +0 GOE ---> 3.3 points
Combination Spin (level 4) -----> +0 GOE -----> 3.5 points

Technical Total - 36

Program Components:

Skating Skills - 8.0
Transitions - 7.5
Performance - 7.75
Choreography - 7.5
Interpretation - 7.0

Total (factored by .8 for the SP) - 30.2

Overall - 66.2

Definitely not 70.

thanks for saving my time. lol
actually I would give her 1 more point to GOE, so that' will make 67 at MAX.

koongpa

Rinkside
But compared to Yu-Na Joannie has incredible extension, there was and is always an awkwardness about Yu-Na in my opinion. Joannie's sitspin is better, and Yu-Na's layback is just as bad as Rochette's (her leg and foot are just hanging around somewhere...). I also prefer Rochette's spirals, there is a lot less shaking of the free leg going on.

Yu-na's layback has a great arch on her back, and she does a biellmann at least. Layback literally means you lay back! I don't know about Rochette's because it looks like a scratch spin, but her side variation is okay.

amateur

Final Flight
Why are people comparing this score to those of Cohen, who hasn't competed in years???

Have people not noticed that SP scores in general have become inflated in the last few years? I remember in the earlier days of COP it took Joannie ages to even break 56 points with a clean sakte (and she's almost never had downgrade issues). 60+ was for like top 4 or maybe 5 at worlds, max. These days all these girls that barely rotate their triples, or skate slowly, are really disappointed if they don't hit 60.

M

mylastduchess

I still cannot understand how the judges come up with the PCS, okay Joannie is fast and has good choreography but is she really 6 points better in PCS than Alyssa? How the hell did Lepisto get the 3rd highest PCS with travelling spins, and low degree of difficulty in her jumps. What does Akkiko do so badly to justify her scoring such low PCS?

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
:laugh: Oh i am so glad I am going to be at the Olympics and not on these boards during those two weeks! It is only going to get worse and worse...

And a competition like tonight is the reason why I chose not to see the ladies' event and attend the men's only!

Trewyn

Medalist
I think I must have missed this tidbit of information despite my active reading of this forum but; why did Sarah Meier withdraw? What's happening with her? Is she still going to do the Olympics?

Layfan

Record Breaker
How will Alissa's good score affect her tomorrow? Let's hope it give her confidence instead of piling on the pressure. Seems like Alissa's score is the only one no one is taking issue with. Everyone else seems to have been over or under scored.
Poor Caroline. She must know this doesn't position her well before nationals. But I'm worried about her attitude. It makes me wonder if she listens to the criticism of her skating or just sulks about it.

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
I would grade Joannie's performance that she just gave as:

3Lz + 2T ----------------> +1 GOE ---> 8.3 points
3F ------------------------> +1 GOE ---> 6.5 points
Flying Sit (level 4) -----> +1 GOE ---> 3.5 points
2Axel ---------------------> +1 GOE ---> 4.5 points
Spiral Sequence (level 4) --> +1 GOE ---> 4.4 points
Layback (level 3) ------------> -1 GOE -----> 2.0 points
Footwork Sequence (level 3) ---> +0 GOE ---> 3.3 points
Combination Spin (level 4) -----> +0 GOE -----> 3.5 points

Technical Total - 36

Program Components:

Skating Skills - 8.0
Transitions - 7.5
Performance - 7.75
Choreography - 7.5
Interpretation - 7.0

Total (factored by .8 for the SP) - 30.2

Overall - 66.2

Definitely not 70.

:chorus: Nice proof of overscoring you present.

And how unthinkable that you might see things even a bit differently if you were, you know, like, at the event, in the judge's seat, and/or if you had judges' training! (I apologize if in fact you do)

And even then, there is a reason why there is more than one judge....

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Yu-na's layback has a great arch on her back, and she does a biellmann at least. Layback literally means you lay back! I don't know about Rochette's because it looks like a scratch spin, but her side variation is okay.

The scores for the layback spin is not based on the arch of the back. The spins score is based on speed, centering, and number of revolutions. Rochette did execute a layback since it's a requirement for the SP. She didn't perform a scratch spin.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
What are the chances that Alissa will make it to GPF? She was 4th at Russia cup. Just out of curiosity. Of course we will have to wait till tomorrow.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I think I must have missed this tidbit of information despite my active reading of this forum but; why did Sarah Meier withdraw? What's happening with her? Is she still going to do the Olympics?

Her knee injury flared up again. I think she is trying for the Olympics again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
How will Alissa's good score affect her tomorrow? Let's hope it give her confidence instead of piling on the pressure.

Well, she's not in 1st...and thus is not skating last. So that should take some pressure off (actually, I'm glad she's not leading so she won't feel overwhelmed...I won't comment on Rochette's 70-pt score since I haven't seen the performance- and come to think of it, I probably won't watch it)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
And how unthinkable that you might see things even a bit differently if you were, you know, like, at the event, in the judge's seat.

Perhaps I might have but I doubt it. I've seen Joannie live and I didn't feel she was stronger in person.

sjwh08

Rinkside
I have a feeling that Joannie will receive 130.00 tomorrow (without any decimal points..).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What are the chances that Alissa will make it to GPF? She was 4th at Russia cup. Just out of curiosity. Of course we will have to wait till tomorrow.

It will depend on how much the judges continue to hold Akiko Suzuki down (and how well she skates, of course).