Is Ashley the one? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Ashley the one?

Trewyn

Medalist
...and lose momentum as well. I keep remembering what happened to Czisny in 2005...

I know. I have a nagging voice in my head that keeps reminding me of that too. Czisny's 2005 GP-events worked out so great for her and it really was all downhill from the GP final on to Nats. But I have to tell myself Ashley isn't quite as inconsistent as Czisny is/was (though I know it's up for debate). I really hope Ashley does well in Tokyo... This could be the major break-out season for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hamilton said during the SC broadcast that Wagner was "hungry" for a spot on the Oly team and wants it "bad". Hopefully she doesn't want it too bad because that could hurt her as well. I think Czisny had the right attitude about it during her interview with David- can't control the outcome but can control her skating. If she MUST go to the games though I hope she doesn't go as the reigning champ because the pressure at worlds was enough- I don't want to even begin to think about how she'd handle it at the Olympics. I'd rather send Wagner even though she has a relatively high bombing potential as well. I'd stress that that's under CURRENT conditions and that opinion is free to change any time after seeing the GPF and US Nats.

ETA: I hope Wagner does well too. In fact, as long as she's not last it'll be an accomplishment. I'm not setting the bar high at all as you can see. :laugh:

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
I also have the feeling Ashley *really* wants to go to the Olympics. Sometimes I feel like she's putting to much strain on this season, which makes me anxious as a fan because it seems like she might retire after this season (I would be devestated if that happened). However; hopefully she learned something from last year's Nats; she wanted to win so badly and then she messed up the short. When she was out of the running for gold, she skated better in the LP. Ashley has not proven yet she can deal with pressure the way her idol, Tara Lipinski could.

I'm also not setting the bar too high for the GPF; she should just focus on skating well and forget about the placement. If she has two good skates, it's unlikely she'll finish last.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Just don't finish last at GPF Ashley, I'll be happy with that. You can beat Leonova or Suzuki. She might have a hard time beating the top three, Kim, Rochette and Ando but then again not sure how well Rochette will do in Japan... seems like she like to skate in N. America or a French speaking country. Go Ashley.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Hamilton said during the SC broadcast that Wagner was "hungry" for a spot on the Oly team and wants it "bad". Hopefully she doesn't want it too bad because that could hurt her as well. I think Czisny had the right attitude about it during her interview with David- can't control the outcome but can control her skating. If she MUST go to the games though I hope she doesn't go as the reigning champ because the pressure at worlds was enough- I don't want to even begin to think about how she'd handle it at the Olympics. I'd rather send Wagner even though she has a relatively high bombing potential as well. I'd stress that that's under CURRENT conditions and that opinion is free to change any time after seeing the GPF and US Nats.

ETA: I hope Wagner does well too. In fact, as long as she's not last it'll be an accomplishment. I'm not setting the bar high at all as you can see. :laugh:

That's why I almost wonder if it was better for Alissa not to make it to the GP final. This way she at least goes to Nationals with a Silver medal as her last accomplishment. That would be forgotten if she went the GP final and bombed. The GP series is a bit weird that way isn't? If Ashley finishes last it will be considered a bomb. But she STILL will have been the only American to make it to the final. Well, it'll be a true test of Ashley's ability to perform under pressure.
Go girl!! :clap:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, I think there is a major difference between the Grand Prix Final and the Olympics ................

......... To skate in the Final, you actually have to be GOOD. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I think there is a major difference between the Grand Prix Final and the Olympics ................

......... To skate in the Final, you actually have to be GOOD. :biggrin:

...but to win an Olympic medal, you must be better. ;)