Patrick Chan News | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan News

seniorita

Record Breaker
Last month in an evaluation of his competitors Plushenko said "Chan has no quad."

Chan replied back "Plushenko has no transitions, his footwork is sloppy and his "finger pointing" was a very weak way to end a program."
Plushenko made his remarks FIRST and Chan responded.
I think both made accurate statements so why all the fuss?

I cant write much these days but you are completely paraphrasing again what plushenko said in interview when he was asked about gold contenders in OLympics and included Chan but said it is tough to know cause he has not landed a quad yet. Since plushenko thinks quad is necessary in Olympics. Thats quite different to what you say and what chan article says. I dont know why you do this but I wont bring the interview link for the third time.

Concerning the third article that B posted, I give chan benefit of a doubt he said all this, I really hope the journalist improvised A LOT, I can hardly imagine someone saying he was watching someones else program and laughed. Basically I cant imagine a 18 new kid on the block saying any stuff of this kind for the current Olympic Champion. Of course everyone has his opinion but maybe my own way of thinking cant believe a co-athlete would comment like this for any athlete in the world with the history of Plushenko or any accomplished and prooved athlete already.

So I think Chan didnt say all this. I hope so. Too many coinsidences though with unofortunate articles with Yagudin and Joubert last year, now Plush. Then again, if he said all that, who cares, this only raises my respect for Plush that in the last 10 years I have not read an interview like this -paraphrased or not-when he was 15 or now he is 27. Good luck to Chan tonight.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I cant write much these days but you are completely paraphrasing again what plushenko said in interview when he was asked about gold contenders in OLympics and included Chan but said it is tough to know cause he has not landed a quad yet. Since plushenko thinks quad is necessary in Olympics. Thats quite different to what you say and what chan article says. I dont know why you do this but I wont bring the interview link for the third time.

Concerning the third article that B posted, I give chan benefit of a doubt he said all this, I really hope the journalist improvised A LOT, I can hardly imagine someone saying he was watching someones else program and laughed. Basically I cant imagine a 18 new kid on the block saying any stuff of this kind for the current Olympic Champion. Of course everyone has his opinion but maybe my own way of thinking cant believe a co-athlete would comment like this for any athlete in the world with the history of Plushenko or any accomplished and prooved athlete already.

So I think Chan didnt say all this. I hope so. Too many coinsidences though with unofortunate articles with Yagudin and Joubert last year, now Plush. Then again, if he said all that, who cares, this only raises my respect for Plush that in the last 10 years I have not read an interview like this -paraphrased or not-when he was 15 or now he is 27. Good luck to Chan tonight.

Good post and I like both skaters.

We already went through this on the Plushy thread - remember, and it turned out I did not come close to misrepresenting what Plushy said. I believe that is true on this post as well.

FYI, I was not attacking Plush or defending Chan, just offering a thought about the time and action as it related to their respective comments.

I will let you know when I say something bad about plushy, OK....but this was not it. :)

And sometimes you scare me too.
This is not the Plushy fan forum. :yes:

Milas

Rinkside
“I don’t think he knows that there are other skaters who have changed and evolved since he’s been taking a break the last four years,” Chan said Thursday. “So I don’t think he’ll be expecting what a lot of the skaters, including me, are, how much better we’ve got since he won the Olympics last.”

Unless Plush went into hiding in the remotest parts of the Himalayas to have a cuppa with Dalai Lama (who snuck back to his old stomping grounds just for the occasion) in the Tabo monastery those four years he took his "break", it's pretty obvious he's been following skating very closely. Really, it's folly to think he didn't - Plush's not daft! :laugh:

Edit:

“I think I’m really blessed to have that chance to compete against a past Olympic champion because a lot of the time they retire after winning. That would be really cool, icing on the cake. I’m excited to see him. I’m excited to compete against him. He’s a great competitor. I really looked up to him when I was young and still I look up to him. It will be interesting to see his program change. He’s changing a lot of his program already since Cup of Russia.”

How would Chan know about any changes?

article, November 19

I do hope Chan is right that there are changes and for the better, it's not like we'll know about it until his next competition. Don't take this the wrong way, my fellow Plush fans and non-fans but I found his FP to be ghastly, so any changes preferably for the better is OK with me, though I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh just now many articles will be copies of the first.
What is funny concerning this article is the things he says about Plushenko not knowing the evolving of skaters in late years. That concludes me that the whole article is a farce and not Chan's words.. Mishin and he have said multiple times that they study his competitors and their programs from head to toe since ever, throughout a season even if Plushenko won. How he would come back any other way? Even if he was unaware of this, and i dont know how this is possible-even me, I know skaters have evolved as well from 2006- he has a coach for this, I think that was funny.
The most bizarre thing I read is this
he's in Russia and in his own country and he's got judges that really appreciate his skating
does this mean that Skate Canada will have judges who appreciate skating of Chan?
I think those kind of articles are just to increase the drama and produce rivals before Olys.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh god. jaws, read my actual comments. When i love to skate said something about Kim, I asked him to source it. In context. Then when I read what she said, I defended her. Which parts of my post do you think were bashing? It was off topic, and I'll admit that, but other than that, I have no idea what you're reacting to. Let me know so I can explain myself. Please.

The skaters I'm rooting for include Kim, Shen/Zhao, Virtue/Moir, Oda and Davis/White. Frankly, I'm having a great season as a fan. (Also Takahashi, Faella/Scalia, Chan, Rochette, Dube/Davison and Weaver/Poje, so it's not all sunshine and lollipops)

Okay, why do Chan's comments bug me so much.

1. He's underestimating his competition
Never assume your talented, determined competitor is less smart (he commented about Plushenko underestimating the depth of field). Given that he's stated he'd be content with a medal of any color, I think Plushenko knows very well both the depth of field and his own capabilities. Remember, underestimating the competition is what Brian Joubert did in 2008, and he got punished for it.

2. The juvenile dismissals
I don't mind that he said "I don't care" re: Plushenko's marks. A talented athlete focuses on his own game than everyone else's, so I think that's an on track comment. However, his "well, I didn't cry about it," bit sorta made me cock my head. Again, if it was just an isolated comment, I think I'd just shrug my shoulders, but in context, it's an almost foolhardy. If he did cry about it, I'd like to ship his silver medal to Verner, frankly.

Oh, you laughed at his program, did you? Even though you mentioned you'll be spending less time on transitions to make the "pow" moments more powerful? If Plushenko/Joubert etc said they laughed at Chan's short program at Skate Canada, how would we react? We'd call it a startlingly classless comment, and it would be.

I just want Chan to leave it on the ice.

Oh, and one more thing. Why is "positive" viewed as prepackaged or false?

plushyta

On the Ice
The result of too much talking out of ice, could be seen today on the ice :sheesh:

I believe that the media accurately reported his interview, as I read 5-6 of them, and everywhere the same intonation - 5-6 sneering sentences about Plushenko, and then one "sweetened" - that he looks "correct" at the end, although it has already delivered, all that was thought to say :scowl:

I understand that he was still young, and that came under the spotlight too soon ;)... and I believe that he is under great pressure - as well as the media, and as skating's experts. :disapp:
On the one hand - tell him how he was "already" medalist ... the other hand - he is dealing with the comments of others, not with own problems. I believe that someone else "prompt" him what to say ... just read comment from there: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-sk...12.html#kurt+browning+chans+shot+olympic+gold
"And Browning wonders if 2006 Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko will continue to get high presentation marks?"
I think that he should help to Chan's in his "main" occupation - skating. :eek:hwell:

As I already said - do not get medals with "propaganda" ... or will be deny me, future competitions? :scratch:

P.S. If he continue thus - he will "burn" before time .. and it would be a pity for such a talented young skater :frown:

bekalc

Record Breaker
How is Kim saying "she doesn't know" if her competitors can beat her. How is that arogant or compare to the rude comments Plushenko has made. If I recall the full context of her quote includes something about thinking her competitors will get better. It's also not the same as holding up a number one sign or badmouthing your competitors.

She's not going to sit there and admit weakness by saying "oh I know for a fact my competitors will can beat me." But I don't know is actually a pretty evasive comment.

plushyta

On the Ice
How is Kim saying "she doesn't know" if her competitors can beat her. How is that arogant or compare to the rude comments Plushenko has made....
Which his statement? :scratch:
... And please - do not interfere Plushy, in your debate about Kim :cool:

Milas

Rinkside
bekalc;432244 said:
How is Kim saying "she doesn't know" if her competitors can beat her. How is that arogant or compare to the rude comments Plushenko has made.

Plushenko made rude comments? I must have missed it - was it recent comments? I'm confused because I can't seem to remember. :scratch:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Plushenko made rude comments? I must have missed it - was it recent comments? I'm confused because I can't seem to remember. :scratch:

I actually meant the rude comments Patrick made. Sorry Plushenko fans.

prettykeys

Medalist
:laugh: Woah. Please explain how I "bashed" Kim? She did say that she did not know if anyone could beat her. All I was pointing out was that skaters make comments all the time about their competitors.
This is how you bash Kim: you lack cultural perspective, and claim her statements are "excuses" (and then claim you are "confused" about the term "pit" on the ice while asking how on earth a "pit" could get there??? :rolleye:) or equivalent to a Chan running his mouth actively commenting on other skaters when Chan, who was born in and grew up in Canada, would be reasonably expected to have a far greater grasp of the English language.

I like Patrick a lot and think his comments are more amusing than anything, but I wouldn't object to why a lot of people find issue with him.

i love to skate said:
BTW, I really could care less about Kim and I only rarely join in on the discussions about her so I don't "take any threading opportunity to speak ill of Kim".
You wouldn't look so hypocritical and hypercritical if you didn't bring Kim up in a Chan thread in the first place. Just saying.

Is it any different than Yu-Na saying she wasn't sure that anyone could beat her?
Yes, it is different, because YuNa was refraining from commenting on other skaters and giving reasons why all the variables early in the season made it impossible for her to comment.

Okay, no that doesn't bug me. Firstly, the entire quote is this...

"I don't know. I don't know. So far my conditioning is very great. I don't know about the other skaters. I don't think the other skaters are not ready for the season. I think they feel a lot of pressure because it's early in the season."
5. I'm not questioning Chan's right to say what he wants. However, that won't stop me from questioning or challenging what he does say. I say this as a fan who would like nothing more than to see him on top of the podium*
I agree with everything you said.

YuNa was once asked by a Japanese interviewer (along with Mao) a few years ago if either thought they "would win the Olympic Gold Medal". Mao put up a hesitant "Yes" sign; YuNa put up "No".

Please tell me how either answer is arrogant on either part of the girls.

Mao's affirmative was seen a positive, optimistic and confident outlook.

YuNa explained her "No": She does not know what will happen. Too many variables.

YuNa is just that type of thoughtful, reflective person. She admits she does not know a lot. She doesn't know if her competitors will put pressure on her. In the context of a native English speaker, this conveys doubt about the competitors; for YuNa (and probably most other speakers of English as a second/third language), it is more of a simple, literal statement meaning she just does not know.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
get back on topic everyone. take personal issues between each other off the board.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Per the usual GP scoring this season - I was surpised to see Patrick with the highest pcs last evening. Did he really show more than Jeremy or a few ot the others?

I like Patrick - but last night he was sloppy and made so many errors I found his marks surprising.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Per the usual GP scoring this season - I was surpised to see Patrick with the highest pcs last evening. Did he really show more than Jeremy or a few ot the others?

I like Patrick - but last night he was sloppy and made so many errors I found his marks surprising.

:biggrin:Ah, didn't you cry for him the other day in another thread that Poor Patrick would suffer because the judges would unfairly under mark him?! You are funny, janetfan!:laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:biggrin:Ah, didn't you cry for him the other day in another thread that Poor Patrick would suffer because the judges would unfairly under mark him?! You are funny, janetfan!:laugh:

As you wish Jenny - but I was talking about the big shindig next february.
There is quite a difference between the little GP's and the Big Show, no? :cool:

But it also shows how fair I am - I also thought Plushy and Joubert had higher pcs than they deserved.

plushyta

On the Ice
As you wish Jenny - but I was talking about the big shindig next february.
There is quite a difference between the little GP's and the Big Show, no? :cool:

But it also shows how fair I am - I also thought Plushy and Joubert had higher pcs than they deserved.
In other words - all they get more than deserve :laugh: ... someone in the PCS, someone with less jumps :p