IF Mao changes her coach next season, who would be good for her? | Golden Skate

IF Mao changes her coach next season, who would be good for her?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I know this is not gonna happen this season. But her team doesn't seem to be working well. How many months and weeks in total has she spent with TAT this season? I really hope that she gets a full-time coach next season. Who would be good for her if she does?

Nadia01

Final Flight
I know this is not gonna happen this season. But her team doesn't seem to be working well. How many months and weeks in total has she spent with TAT this season? I really hope that she gets a full-time coach next season. Who would be good for her if she does?

Somebody in Japan since Mao refuses to leave Japan to train.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by Nadia01
Somebody in Japan since Mao refuses to leave Japan to train.
That's interesting. Assuming that it's true, it tells you a lot about her priority. If her priority is to be the world best female skater, she would be willing to seek the 'best coach' for her where ever that coach resides, I would think, IMHO.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was going to say Frank Carrol. He seems to be helping Mirai with her jumps. That is interesting that Mao does not want to leave Japan though, considering she was training in America a few years ago. I think she is enrolled in college in Japan though, which may be one of the reasons she does not wish to leave

herro

On the Ice
I hope no one says Brian Orser. Ugh. It makes me feel really annoyed when people start saying that.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Because it's Mao we're talking about, maybe Yuka Sato. It could work.
Choreo - Kenji Miyamoto.

Costumes: best (Japanese) designers only. She can afford them. And, please, no tights over the boots. Mao doesn't need it.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Because it's Mao we're talking about, maybe Yuka Sato. It could work.
Choreo - Kenji Miyamoto.

Costumes: best (Japanese) designers only. She can afford them. And, please, no tights over the boots. Mao doesn't need it.

Yuka would be fantastic for Mao! They have similar strengths such as soft, gentle touch to the ice, wonderful steps, mellow, smily presence etc. Something richer, softer, and more nuanced can be added to her skating.

Although Yuka was not a very strong jumper which could be against Mao's focus, it's interesting actually Mao went to TAT despite TAT not being a jump coach.

Mao used to have among the prettiest costumes in 2006-8 seasons (Nocturne, So Deep in the Night, 2008 Worlds Chopin). Can she go back to them?

It's not a good idea to let TAT, Morozov, Yuka or any coach design costumes. With all respect to them, they are skaters and coaches, not fashion designers. Only the light blue SP costume with a bird in front from a couple of seasons ago was actually fab though. It was TAT's designing, right? I do not know how much she was involved in desgining at that time though (i.e., A coach could give a designer a basic concept and let the desginer polish it, which I believe would work the best).

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuka would be fantastic for Mao! They have similar strengths such as soft, gentle touch to the ice, wonderful steps, mellow, smily presence etc. Something richer, softer, and more nuanced can be added to her skating.

Although Yuka was not a very strong jumper which could be against Mao's focus, it's interesting actually Mao went to TAT despite TAT not being a jump coach.

Mao used to have among the prettiest costumes in 2006-8 seasons (Nocturne, So Deep in the Night, 2008 Worlds Chopin). Can she go back to them?

It's not a good idea to let TAT, Morozov, Yuka or any coach design costumes. With all respect to them, they are skaters and coaches, not fashion designers. Only the light blue SP costume with a bird in front from a couple of seasons ago was actually fab though. It was TAT's designing.

Word. The only good about Mao's LP costume this year is that it's so awful it distracts from how disastrous her skating has been.

sunrock

Rinkside
Does Shizuka have any intentions of coaching?
Brian was relatively new when Yuna came to him.
Yuka was relatively new when Jeremy came to her.

I don't know who else isn't already busy with their own students to coach Mao in Japan since she wants to stay there.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I beg to differ on Yuka. She's been coaching for quite a while in Detroit, Jeremy is the first "big name" to come to her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Does Shizuka have any intentions of coaching?
Brian was relatively new when Yuna came to him.
Yuka was relatively new when Jeremy came to her.

I don't know who else isn't already busy with their own students to coach Mao in Japan since she wants to stay there.

Shizuka could be a great, great coach. She is very calm and very smart. She has such analytical eyes. She also seems emotionally mature, kind, and considerate.

But she may a bit too busy with many wonderful things at shows, TV commentary, and many other events.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Shizuka could be a great, great coach. She is very calm and very smart. She has such analytical eyes. She also seems emotionally mature, kind, and considerate.

But she may a bit too busy with many wonderful things at shows, TV commentary, and many other events.

I agree. Shizuka is very busy w/ TV commentary work. I watch her comment on every major skating event, including all (except NHK Trophy) Grand Prix events this season. I expect her to opine on skaters at the GPF, Nationals & Oly.

figurejennah

On the Ice
I agree. Shizuka is very busy w/ TV commentary work. I watch her comment on every major skating event, including all (except NHK Trophy) Grand Prix events this season. I expect her to opine on skaters at the GPF, Nationals & Oly.

If I were Shizuka, I wouldn't want to coach Mao. In 2005, didn't the Japanese federation try really hard to send Mao to the olympics and take Shizuka out? (I don't think they would have considered taking Miki or suguri out). I mean Shizuka got the gold medal, but if I were her, I would still have nightmares of what could have happened to her if Mao could attend the olympics and take her spot... :chorus: I am sorry, but I do love Shizuka.... :) (And although I love Mao, I somehow really like Shizuka more.... )

bekalc

Record Breaker
If I were Shizuka, I wouldn't want to coach Mao. In 2005, didn't the Japanese federation try really hard to send Mao to the olympics and take Shizuka out? (I don't think they would have considered taking Miki or suguri out). I mean Shizuka got the gold medal, but if I were her, I would still have nightmares of what could have happened to her if Mao could attend the olympics and take her spot... :chorus: I am sorry, but I do love Shizuka.... :) (And although I love Mao, I somehow really like Shizuka more.... )

I highly doubt that Shizuka would have been the one replaced. The person who would have been replaced was Fumie. Fumie would not have been Japanese National Champion that year. She needed to win to make it on the team with their point system. They could have easily made Mao Japanese National champion etc...

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Hmmm...Shizuka would be an intresting choice for Mao, but the again as said before she is very busy now and couldn't serve as a full-time for Mao. Personally, I think Mao should go back to Rafael Artunian. I loved Mao a couple of seasons ago when she was technical and yet both soft and airy. Even though TAT hasnt been the best coach for Mao, you cant deny that Mao has learned alot from her and it has shown with her developed and more intricate choreography and interpretation of music. I have said it before and I will say it now, if Mao can get back her jumps circa 2007 season, she will be right up to Yu-Na's level if not more. Mao will be rewarded with high TES and PCS marks.

If I were Shizuka, I wouldn't want to coach Mao. In 2005, didn't the Japanese federation try really hard to send Mao to the olympics and take Shizuka out?

I don't remeber it that way. It did not seem to me that the Japanese Federation made any special request for exemption to the ISU age rule on behalf of Asada.