Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I admit to being cynical about this "emergency dental surgery." Impacted wisdom teeth do not just "happen" overnight and should have been removed in the off season to avoid just such a problem.

I don't know how long she's been aware of her dental condition, but in my case, one of my wisdom teeth was lodged well inside my mouth and was not visible at all.

I didn't know about its existence or the complications it might cause until last year.
Fortunately I went under the knife before it started hurting, but according to my dentist, it was a matter of time.

So I can see how she could not have known it sooner or not taken it seriously enough.

Whatever the case, I wish them the best.

This kind of blows!
Joubert and B/A all out? :eek:hwell:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Someone said that it was unlikely that the American national silver medalists would get on the Olympic podium. In normal years this might be true, but this year, there are two dominant American international teams and not much going on in Russia. There is indeed a possibility that two American couples might make it onto the podium, it seems to me. Why not? The Soviets used to do that all the time. Off the top of my head (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can recall 1976, two Soviet couples followed by the Americans O'Connor/Millns. 1980, two Soviet couples sandwiching the Hungarian couple Racoszy/Sallay (who became that year's world champions). 1984, Torvill/Dean leading two Soviet couples. 1988, two Soviet couples plus the Canadians Wilson/McCall. 1992, two Russian couples plus the Duchesnays. 1994, two Russian couples plus the returning pros Torvill and Dean. 1998, two Russian couples plus Anissina/Peizerat. 2002 and 2006 (had to look these up) had winners from three different countries, but in 2006 the third couple was from Ukraine, so two former Soviet countries were on the podium.

So why not two couples from one country? I'm just asking.

I have no doubt in my mind that B/A and D/W could medal in these Olympics. In MHO it's just going to come down to which color they are going to get.

samba

On the Ice
I have no doubt in my mind that B/A and D/W could medal in these Olympics. In MHO it's just going to come down to which color they are going to get.

I guess we can't ignore other talents, D/S and D/S. We haven't seen them skate this season due to their physical conditions. Both were World champions, none of the Americans have World title yet. If these two teams come back strong, the Americans will have slim chance to be on the podium, particularly the weaker team, B/A.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I guess we can't ignore other talents, D/S and D/S. We haven't seen them skate this season due to their physical conditions. Both were World champions, none of the Americans have World title yet. If these two teams come back strong, the Americans will have slim chance to be on the podium, particularly the weaker team, B/A.

Knowing the way Dance competitions turn out the podium has already been decided. Atleast that's the way it always worked in the past, including 2009 Worlds.

Why would it be any different in Japan or Vancouver?

If the three N. American teams skate the best in Vancouver there is no way they will sweep the podium. There is still a certain group of officials/judges that would make sure ot it.

Last edited:
I don't really get the strategy that Belbin and Agosto should pull out of the Grand Prix final because they are afraid to skate against Davis and White. Will they be less afraid in January than in December?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't really get the strategy that Belbin and Agosto should pull out of the Grand Prix final because they are afraid to skate against Davis and White. Will they be less afraid in January than in December?

What about the strategy for Tanith not to be sick and less than her best at Nationals or for Vancouver. ;)

I hope some won't consider that playing dirty :laugh:

skatingbc

Final Flight
We don't know if D/S x 2 will be 100% by the time the Olympics roll around. If they are, I think D/W would have a hard time beating them if they all skated perfectly. I think V/M are definitely competitive with D/S x 2, and B/A have been in the past. I don't think D/W are quite there yet, despite their huge scores so far this year.

amateur

Final Flight
Someone said that it was unlikely that the American national silver medalists would get on the Olympic podium. In normal years this might be true, but this year, there are two dominant American international teams and not much going on in Russia. There is indeed a possibility that two American couples might make it onto the podium, it seems to me. Why not? The Soviets used to do that all the time. Off the top of my head (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can recall 1976, two Soviet couples followed by the Americans O'Connor/Millns. 1980, two Soviet couples sandwiching the Hungarian couple Racoszy/Sallay (who became that year's world champions). 1984, Torvill/Dean leading two Soviet couples. 1988, two Soviet couples plus the Canadians Wilson/McCall. 1992, two Russian couples plus the Duchesnays. 1994, two Russian couples plus the returning pros Torvill and Dean. 1998, two Russian couples plus Anissina/Peizerat. 2002 and 2006 (had to look these up) had winners from three different countries, but in 2006 the third couple was from Ukraine, so two former Soviet countries were on the podium.

So why not two couples from one country? I'm just asking.

I think another reason people doubt it will happen (among those who think politiks will rule), is that there is also a 3rd strong North American team (Canadian), and they will be competing at home to boot. So if 2 American teams on the podium seems a stretch, an all North-American podium seems an even further stretch, for those who are convinced politiks will influence the outcome. The 2nd-ranked American team is easiest to sacrifice.
This will be very intriguing to follow though, with the top 2 European contenders M.I.A. so far, and the 3rd skating like crap (K/N). The 3 North-American teams may well prove podium-worthy. Could be historic for the sport.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

I disagree, I don't think Dom and Shabs are all that great to begin with, and as for D/S, they haven't really had that great amount of training since she had the baby(and having 4 kids myself not all that easy to bounce back from) Most teams have adjusted their programs by this point for improvements. And I think we all know just because your the world champ or were doesn't mean your going to win the Olympics. I think all three N American teams have a great possibility of claiming all three medals.

KKonas

Medalist

Belbin & Agosto don't want to lose to anyone before Nationals but certainly not to Davis & White because they need to win the national title if they hope to win gold in Vancouver. At the GPF there is no CD, which most consider to be Davis and White's weakest area. Of course, they could beat them at the GPF, but you saw how angry Belbin was after the FD scores came up. All is not well. They know they have some problems, so why take the chance? They have a better chance at Nationals because there will be a CD and they could build up a lead that Davis & White can't overcome with a stronger OD or FD. It will really be exciting to watch. I'll be there in Spokane.

Belbin & Agosto don't want to lose to anyone before Nationals but certainly not to Davis & White because they need to win the national title if they hope to win gold in Vancouver. At the GPF there is no CD, which most consider to be Davis and White's weakest area...

So my question is, which is it? Is Tanith inable to compete because of her tooth infection, or do they want to avoid facing Davis and White in an event with no CD?

I'll be there in Spokane.

Me, too! :rock:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Belbin & Agosto don't want to lose to anyone before Nationals but certainly not to Davis & White because they need to win the national title if they hope to win gold in Vancouver.

Right. maybe Tanith will not be ready by Nationals and so they will make the olympic team on a medical bye without having to suffer the "humiliation" of being beaten by their former training mates. This way they enter the Olympics as equals (more or less) and the whole winter of training behind them.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
OK for the sake of argument lets say Tanith needed the oral surgery at some point soon because of the infected wisdom tooth but not immediately. I believe that Tanith had to have the surgery sooner than later. When was she supposed to schedule this surgery? Before Nationals, before Vancouver or before GPF. Their best option would be to pull out of GPF have the surgery done and over with and not run the risk of having to pull out of the 2 big events. I think people are reading way to much into this withdrawal. I just find it hard to believe that B/A's team would say ouch you did not score as high as the other teams lets have Tanith's Wisdom Teeth extracted, use that as an excuse to withdraw, so B/A can have more training time and make up the 6 or 7 poiints. It just does not make sense to me. JMO

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
So my question is, which is it? Is Tanith inable to compete because of her tooth infection, or do they want to avoid facing Davis and White in an event with no CD?

Me, too! :rock:

Probably both. I just think the timing is suspicious. What really matters is Nationals. All the other top contenders for the podium will have won their Nationals or are assumed to be the number #1 team from their country if for whatever reason they don't compete.

KKonas

Medalist
Right. maybe Tanith will not be ready by Nationals and so they will make the olympic team on a medical bye without having to suffer the "humiliation" of being beaten by their former training mates. This way they enter the Olympics as equals (more or less) and the whole winter of training behind them.

I certainly hope they don't skip Nationals. I can't imagine this tooth extraction problem would linger for 7 weeks. I do wantTanith to be well enough to compete in Spokane.

life684

Final Flight
I disagree, I don't think Dom and Shabs are all that great to begin with, and as for D/S, they haven't really had that great amount of training since she had the baby(and having 4 kids myself not all that easy to bounce back from) Most teams have adjusted their programs by this point for improvements. And I think we all know just because your the world champ or were doesn't mean your going to win the Olympics. I think all three N American teams have a great possibility of claiming all three medals.

Both D/S will score very high score in CD and will be in the lead after this segment. As for B/A have improved in this department, it leaves DW and VM outside the top 3 when it comes to CD.

As for OD, the Shilpband group will dance to all dances in lovely dovely manner even if the vocals suggest something else. it leaves the question whether they understand these dances or the music itself.I hope they will be penalised for lack of understanding of the music, especially DW.

As for D/S, their real problem at the worlds was spins. with spins being an non compulsory element for OD, they can score very well in this segment... I hope D/S original dance will not adopt the short cut method like others, and will be authentic to Aborigine dance...

Then again we know if any north american skate clean and doesn't win the gold, some people will start Wuzrobbed discussion.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Of course, one might argue that your instant denigration of such a possibility indicates that your response should your presumption not come forth would be as knee-jerk and biased as the ones you criticize.

2. Do you really think V/M's OD is lovey-dovey? I don't think they're entirely successful in conveying the flamenco attitude, but lovey-dovey certainly doesn't describe it either. If that's lovey-dovey to you, I'd hate to see what is cold and restrained to you.

3. I do think D/W are benefiting from the fact that not too many Indian folk dances have been performed - also, having no idea how far kathak is from actual Indian folk (wikipedia indicates that it definitely has folk influences, but how accurate that is I can't vouch for). I don't think either of the Shpilband teams lacks "understanding of the music."

4. Is it likely that DelShos and DomShabs are gonna be ready? DelShos more likely, but I really do wonder about the Russians. Doesn't he have a form of arthritis that's really affecting his knees? They weren't fully healthy last year and won, true, but they beat two teams who weren't up to snuff either (and one can definitely argue about the validity of their win, of course, as they seemed to get points they didn't earn - that spin in the OD as an example) - a FD with the top four teams only one point difference certainly reminds us that it wasn't a dominant victory. I would be very impressed if they deserved to win (or disappointed, as it could indicate an underwhelming night of skating), but I wonder if they'll even be there and how trained they will be? Of course, I have three podiums that I'd like and they're not on any of them, so it's not like I'm impartial here.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Both D/S will score very high score in CD and will be in the lead after this segment. As for B/A have improved in this department, it leaves DW and VM outside the top 3 when it comes to CD.

In your world., where this happens.

In your world also, where D/W and V/M's skates are all lovey dovey, no matter how they're actually skating. Sexy - maybe. Lovey dovey, no.

Bruin714

On the Ice
After the CD at the Olympics only 4 teams will get to skate in the final group of the OD, more than likely the medalist will come from this group. So, which team will be left behind???