GPF Ladies Analysis Blog Post | Golden Skate

GPF Ladies Analysis Blog Post

maoyuna

Rinkside
Nice article! I enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on the competitors. I didn't know Suzuki had been battling with anorexia. Keep it up! :agree:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I enjoyed reading your analysis, you write very well for a 16-year-old.

Based on the way skaters in the other disciplines seem to be withdrawing from the GPF left, right and centre, do you think any of the current finalists will withdraw?

That's a really helpful, meticulous analysis. You call attention to important details like extension, jump consistency, interpretive style, and competitive history. I fear you're right about Ashley, though for the sake of American skating, I sure hope you're wrong. I don't see anyone of strength and authority in the American lineup this year...unless Sasha shows up and stays calm. I know that's an unrealistic hope. But when I go onto YouTube and watch Sasha skate at any age, I see a refinement and strength that no one else in the States has, except Alissa when she can stay on her feet.

I do hope Rochette tries her triple-triple here, as you suggest. Of all the women except for Leonova, the stakes are lowest for her here, because she doesn't have to worry that Canada will send someone else instead of her to the Olympics if she doesn't do well. She's easily her country's flagship skater, as Leonova is currently for Russia. So she should take this opportunity to try the jump combo out in competition.

To me, Ando often looks like a deer in the headlights. Whenever I watch her, except for the year she won Worlds, I hear the announcer saying that she's having an off night. So whenever she's doing this fabulous work she's known for, it's rarely while I'm watching. I like her and hope for the best, but there's a fragility about her that always unsettles me. Maybe, as you point out, it's the pressure she's under when she's the Great Hope of Japan.

I love Suzuki: what charm and vivacity! The same is true for Leonova, for many of the same reasons. But for quality and elevated interpretation, my vote's with Kim all the way in this group.

LKR

Rinkside
I enjoyed reading your analysis, you write very well for a 16-year-old.

Based on the way skaters in the other disciplines seem to be withdrawing from the GPF left, right and centre, do you think any of the current finalists will withdraw?

Thank you. No, I don't think anyone will be withdrawing unless if a true "injury" is to take place. It's an ideal competition for everyone involved. For Kim, she has an opportunity to get her confidence back prior to the Olympics and doesn't have to compete at her country's national championship, so she will have ample time to rest. For Ando and Suzuki, there's an Olympic ticket that could be earned. Leonova has a great opportunity to challenge for a European title and this competition should help her in that endeavor, and Wagner will want to take advantage of being the lone American representative in this field. It's also a nice opportunity for Rochette to try that 3/3.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with the predictions, although if Suzuki has the so-so performance she had at SC she could move down to 5th, or even 6th if Wagner does the unexpected.

I do hope there are surprises in store and this is not something that could have been determined on paper and the medals sent to the winners by express mail...

luvsasha

Final Flight
You know I always like reading your analyses, but I hope, for this time, you're wrong about Ashley because I <3 her skating.
Other than that, another good post. :biggrin:

good analysis. I like reading thoughtful posts about predictions rather than just listing the favored skaters which read like old fashioned hoping.

I seldom predict winners but in this case it's got to be YuNa - nitpicking and all.

Any two others, and I have serious reservations about each one, will do.

berrycute

On the Ice

Well this part in particular:

I quote: "Kim has substandard positions on her layback, Bielmann, and spiral positions".

I think her positions in all these cases are solid, the spiral maybe could be more pointed but otherwise it's very fine.

LKR

Rinkside
Well this part in particular:

I quote: "Kim has substandard positions on her layback, Bielmann, and spiral positions".

I think her positions in all these cases are solid, the spiral maybe could be more pointed but otherwise it's very fine.

Perhaps "substandard" was too harsh a word, but I still think her spiral and layback have a ways to go in terms of polished positions. I just looked at her SA SP and actually her Bielmann has become pretty good, but her layback is still too turned in IMO, particularly if you compare hers to someone like Czisny or Cohen, who have that very nicely turned out leg position in that element. Kim's spiral free leg doesn't extend high enough for me and it is not fully straight. Her spiral positions (and I'm mainly talking about the standard spiral) are superior to those of Ando, Leonova, Rochette, Suzuki, and several others, but I don't even think they are comparable to those of Cohen, Nagasu, Zhang, or Kwan and Bobek from years past. So, perhaps substandard is too negative a description, but her spiral positions are by no means brilliant IMO.

Last edited:

inside edge

On the Ice
well...

The spiral is not all about a position.
The speed, edge control and ice coverage are also important factors.
If you see her spiral live, you will understand what I mean. :)

LKR

Rinkside
The spiral is not all about a position.
The speed, edge control and ice coverage are also important factors.
If you see her spiral live, you will understand what I mean. :)

All of this is true, but that's not what's being discussed. Berrycute was objecting to my argument about Kim's positions being substandard, and I was explaining why I felt they were (and again, perhaps "substandard" was too harsh a word). Never did I say in my post that Kim's spirals themselves are substandard, just her positions.