GPF Ladies Analysis Blog Post | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GPF Ladies Analysis Blog Post

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
The spiral is not all about a position.
The speed, edge control and ice coverage are also important factors.
If you see her spiral live, you will understand what I mean. :)

I don't think you will find it both great position and speed these days. The COP does make it hard to do both. You have skaters like Kim, Kostner who has great speed, edge and ice coverage but so-so position. Others like Zhang, Asada, Cizney have great position and flexibility, but they show how slow down abit and doesn't hold the position long enough. Even, Cohen who fall into the later category is the same. Her spiral sequence at Torino FS, is very slow and barely cover the 1/4 of rink, compare to Shizuka.
Maybe that's why judges selden award level 4 spiral sequences to ladies.

steyn

On the Ice
^
Not only these days. I think, in general, having both good position and speed is very difficult from the viewpoint of physics and this is why such skaters are so rare. If a skater's leg is higher, so is her center of mass. Then it is harder to keep the balance between the centrifugal force and the gravity, especially when the skater wants to keep fast speed or deep edge. In this sense, it is very difficult to maintain both good position/flexibility and good speed/edge quality.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^
Not only these days. I think, in general, having both good position and speed is very difficult from the viewpoint of physics and this is why such skaters are so rare. If a skater's leg is higher, so is her center of mass. Then it is harder to keep the balance between the centrifugal force and the gravity, especially when the skater wants to keep fast speed or deep edge. In this sense, it is very difficult to maintain both good position/flexibility and good speed/edge quality.

What about Mirai though? She has great spiral positions and she at least skates fast during her program, and I do not notice that her spiral sequence moves particularly slowly. The same goes for Mao. Caroline and Alissa are very slow skaters in general and Sasha was a little slow too. Yu Na's spirals are all very good except her arabesque one which just looks a little awkward from the side angle

prettykeys

Medalist
:laugh:

Calling YuNa the "Roger Federer of ladies figure skating" is "harsh", eh?

LKR, you had good, fair comments, I thought.

Although I have a hard time thinking of any athlete comparable to Federer in their respective sports...maybe Michael Jordan back in the day.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It does remain to be seen if Yuna can handle the pressure of the Olys. she has the CAPABILITY of winning Gold in a landslide but as SA proved, as long as she's not too far ahead in the SP, other skaters can make up the point difference with strong routines if she stumbles.

I do hope that whoever wins, it's not a landslide victory. Blowouts are B-O-R-I-N-G :sheesh:

Also, the favorite winning = zzz

A certain other skater who will remain unnamed winning =
sleep_well_by_MenInASuitcase.gif

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
It does remain to be seen if Yuna can handle the pressure of the Olys. she has the CAPABILITY of winning Gold in a landslide but as SA proved, as long as she's not too far ahead in the SP, other skaters can make up the point difference with strong routines if she stumbles.

I do hope that whoever wins, it's not a landslide victory. Blowouts are B-O-R-I-N-G :sheesh:

Why can't you enjoy good performances in themselves?

A couple years ago, some short-track speed skating event had medalists crawling to the finish line. ROFL people had been wiping out and falling like dominoes, or bowling pins.

I'd personally rather see the best, even if it's a blow-out. :p

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Mao? I think that would be exciting simply because her long program is so entertaining: I am Mao Asada, crazy Russian lady :laugh: ! Plus even with that program if she does her two triple axels and her triple axel-double toe that will be exciting! If this "unnamed person" is Joannie or Miki then maybe it would be boring, but they are both very expressive so they are fun to watch at least

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

While I'll agree with you that blowouts leave no suspense and are thus boring, I think it's even more frustrating when the judging is so cryptic and inexplicable that you leave unsatisfied with the results.

I think my ideal situation would be something along the lines of the Ladies' Event at Torino. Neck-to-neck competition during the SP, but a clear winner after the FS (but not by a landslide per se).

S

sleepyjl

While I'll agree with you that blowouts leave no suspense and are thus boring, I think it's even more frustrating when the judging is so cryptic and inexplicable that you leave unsatisfied with the results.

I think my ideal situation would be something along the lines of the Ladies' Event at Torino. Neck-to-neck competition during the SP, but a clear winner after the FS (but not by a landslide per se).

Personally, I want all the skaters to skate their best. But because Yuna's best is so much better than everyone else, even if Miki, Mao and Joannie turn in good perfs in Vancouver, if Yuna skates clean it's going to be a blowout.

aurora100

Final Flight
Great analysis. I believe figure skating in Olympics is always about a competition against one self for all the skaters. Not just Yuna Kim. It's about mental strength. All of these skaters have put their life time of training and dreams into figure skating. And most of them have all the necessary skills. It's about who can do it in those 2 1/2 minutes and 4-4 1/2 minutes. That's why the Olympics skating is always so fascinating to watch. It's about the mind games that show up on their blades. As a fanatical skating fan. I just want to watch as many of them winning the mental games as possible.