Ashley Wagner article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner article

Medusa

Record Breaker
she had a pretty good fall
Bloody colonists! I was just cruising through your post and suddenly asked myself how someone could have a pretty good fall, isn't a fall always something bad in figure skating?

Ashley is showing some balls, if more ladies would do that, I would probably prefer watching them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ I take it she meant "fall" as in the season (autumn), not literally...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Bloody colonists! I was just cruising through your post and suddenly asked myself how someone could have a pretty good fall, isn't a fall always something bad in figure skating?

Ashley is showing some balls, if more ladies would do that, I would probably prefer watching them.

Speaking as a colonial I would disagree and say there are some good falls. If you don't believe me just ask Evan. He surely feels the same way ;) :yes: :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ I take it she meant "fall" as in the season (autumn), not literally...

If the Euro boys continue "falling" into such bad luck I think they will make a movie about it.

A good title could be "Legends of The Fall." :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree that Wagner benefitted from easier GP assignments. Plus, she had a shot at winning NHK and couldn't capitalize...but in the end it's not that big a deal because it's more important to peak later in the season rather than earlier.

Sort of like in the NBA/NHL/NBA when one conference is significantly weaker than another. Teams that get to the Finals or Superbowl through the "weak" conference might not even make it out of the wildcard round in the "strong" conference. A bit of an exaggeration there but you get the point. It's part of sport, you deal with the situation at hand.

Wagner (and, IMO, Suzuki and Leonova) was (were) able to get to the GPF through the "weaker conferences" while some of the other skaters had at least one tough event. Now, in the Final, the "stronger" skaters have the advantage. I want folks to understand that for the GPF, my PREDICTIONS are vastly different from my HOPES.

ETA: well, nevermind.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree that Wagner benefitted from easier GP assignments. Plus, she had a shot at winning NHK and couldn't capitalize...but in the end it's not that big a deal because it's more important to peak later in the season rather than earlier.

Sort of like in the NBA/NHL/NBA when one conference is significantly weaker than another. Teams that get to the Finals or Superbowl through the "weak" conference might not even make it out of the wildcard round in the "strong" conference. A bit of an exaggeration there but you get the point. It's part of sport, you deal with the situation at hand.

Wagner (and, IMO, Suzuki and Leonova) was (were) able to get to the GPF through the "weaker conferences" while some of the other skaters had at least one tough event. Now, in the Final, the "stronger" skaters have the advantage. I want folks to understand that for the GPF, my PREDICTIONS are vastly different from my HOPES.

ETA: well, nevermind.

That makes perfectly good sense to me RD. :yes:
Maybe I am so full of turkey (and something else) that I find myself in total agreement with you :)

and I thought my movie title suggestion was kind of clever

MKFSfan

Medalist

As RD pointed out, "fall" should've been Fall...as in Autumn...

Yes, Janetfan, that was quite witty of you...

One more thing...
snowflake said:
As I read the article she doesn't compare herself to Hughes or Lipinski. She just points out that "amazing things can happen at the Olympics" and uses H and L as examples.

In the article, Ashley is quoted for saying,"
“Look at Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski, who were both underdogs and won anyway. I really think the winner of the gold medal will be whoever skates the best on that day. Someone will surprise everyone. I really hope it is me.”
My interpretation of this comment is she viewed Sarah and Tara as "underdogs" who surprised everyone to win the Gold Medal. I personally do not think either were true underdogs, although Sarah a bit more so than Tara. I think Sarah was always a contender for a medal, potential spoiler for the Gold, but everything would need to line up for her to win (which it did). Tara on the other hand, was a co-favorite for Gold. For Ashley to win, she'd need a lot to work in her favor, not just having The Skate of Her Life that one day (she'll need that to happen, too). So, she would be a more true underdog if she makes it to the Oly. Heck, I think she is an underdog for the GPF next week.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So, she would be a more true underdog if she makes it to the Oly. Heck, I think she is an underdog for the GPF next week.

Ok, let's agree that you, me and Ashley think she is an underdog(true or not) and wish her the best of luck in GPF and her following competitions :clap::yes: