Eastern/Western Challenge | Golden Skate

Eastern/Western Challenge

skatingbc

Final Flight
I'm excited for the results! Anyone going? I think Sr Pairs will be interesting along with Jr Men! Those guys better watch out for Nam! He's going for 4 in a row!

nadster

Final Flight
I agree that Nam Nguyen is definitely one to look out for in junior men. He looks like the successor to Patrick Chan.

It is a pity that he is too young to go to junior worlds this year. His score at BC sectionals (162.20) was higher than any of the scores any of our JGP bound guys scored this year , even domestically.

The other pity is that Balde is still injured. He also ages out of junior internationally this season so it is sad that he couldn't even register an international score for GP consideration next year. That is too bad especially as he made the JGPF in 2008.

It looks like in mens the JW world team will be Kevin Reynolds ( last chance for him to compete junior internationally ) and one of Lam, Rogozine or Firus. Lam also ages out after this season. Shaquille Davis could be a dark horse for the second spot.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I agree that Nam Nguyen is definitely one to look out for in junior men. He looks like the successor to Patrick Chan.

It is a pity that he is too young to go to junior worlds this year. His score at BC sectionals (162.20) was higher than any of the scores any of our JGP bound guys scored this year , even domestically.

The other pity is that Balde is still injured. He also ages out of junior internationally this season so it is sad that he couldn't even register an international score for GP consideration next year. That is too bad especially as he made the JGPF in 2008.

It looks like in mens the JW world team will be Kevin Reynolds ( last chance for him to compete junior internationally ) and one of Lam, Rogozine or Firus. Lam also ages out after this season. Shaquille Davis could be a dark horse for the second spot.

I only really know the BC guys, and then Liam the most, as a skater anyway. If he skates up to his abilities (no pops, jumps landed cleanly) he's fantastic. He has amazingly soft knees and when his jumps are landed cleanly, they're to die for. Nam's great too, and Ronald could probably top them all, but he's actually competing Sr nationally this year. I agree that the Jr Worlds team will probably be Kevin Reynolds plus someone else. Who knows though? Kevin hasn't improved his Jr Worlds results at all. Maybe SC will decide that they've had enough and send two newbies to gain experience. When it comes down to it, Jr Worlds really doesn't matter that much. I'd love to see Liam go, but I think some other guys will go unless he skates light out at Nationals. Who knows...he could! He was 3rd after the short in one of his JGP events. He can compete with the other guys on the circuit, he just needs to make sure his head is in the right place.

Kypma

Final Flight
I only really know the BC guys, and then Liam the most, as a skater anyway. If he skates up to his abilities (no pops, jumps landed cleanly) he's fantastic. He has amazingly soft knees and when his jumps are landed cleanly, they're to die for. Nam's great too, and Ronald could probably top them all, but he's actually competing Sr nationally this year. I agree that the Jr Worlds team will probably be Kevin Reynolds plus someone else. Who knows though? Kevin hasn't improved his Jr Worlds results at all. Maybe SC will decide that they've had enough and send two newbies to gain experience. When it comes down to it, Jr Worlds really doesn't matter that much. I'd love to see Liam go, but I think some other guys will go unless he skates light out at Nationals. Who knows...he could! He was 3rd after the short in one of his JGP events. He can compete with the other guys on the circuit, he just needs to make sure his head is in the right place.

With the new rules, only the top 3 countries in each discipline secure the maximum number of JGP berths for the following season (14?) and the next countries only get 7 (?) so it's a huge drop, hence the importance of placing in the top 3.

-Kypma

skatingbc

Final Flight
Oops...forgot about that. Thanks for setting me right! I don't even know if Kevin could pull off top three at Jr Worlds though.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Back to the Challenge :) ...

Are these advancement numbers correct for Senior?

Top 12 Sr men (13 if Joey Russell places in the top 12)
Top 14 Sr ladies
Top 9 Sr dance teams
All 5 of the Sr pair teams that not already byed through (the 3 GP pairs, including Duhamel/Buntin who are likely to withdraw due to her injury)

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
The only reason I see Skate Canada picking Kevin is because of the need to have someone finishing in the top 3 countries. If Balde were healthy, I could see SC not sending Kevin at all.

Kevin is the only one who has a chance of doing that although I wouldn't favor him to do that. He can't do quads in the junior SP and his triple axel is wonky to say the least.

I actually think a healthy Balde would do better than Reynolds at JW ( he did last year ) simply because his triple axel is far more consistent. Alas, he is injured.

nadster

Final Flight
Back to the Challenge :) ...

Are these advancement numbers correct for Senior?

Top 12 Sr men (13 if Joey Russell places in the top 12)
Top 14 Sr ladies
Top 9 Sr dance teams
All 5 of the Sr pair teams that not already byed through (the 3 GP pairs, including Duhamel/Buntin who are likely to withdraw due to her injury)

Your numbers are correct for the most part.

The only other issue are pairs/dance skaters who made either the GPF or JGPF in dance/pairs and plan to compete in singles.

This would affect senior mens ( Paul Poirier ) , junior mens ( Asher Hill ) and junior ladies ( Kaleigh Hole)

Now I heard on another board ( no confirmation though) that there was a rule change so that these skaters won't be able to compete singles at nationals despite their international conflicts. Paul could not even compete sectionals this year as his GP dance assignment was on the same weekend as the Central Ontario sectional. Kaleigh was the only junior lady from Manitoba section so she did not have to compete there. Asher did compete at the Central Ontario section in singles.

In the past all these skaters would have received byes to nationals. I don't know if this rule change mentioned in the previous paragraph actually exists ( have not seen anything from Skate Canada).

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
The only reason I see Skate Canada picking Kevin is because of the need to have someone finishing in the top 3 countries. If Balde were healthy, I could see SC not sending Kevin at all.

I actually think a healthy Balde would do better than Reynolds at JW ( he did last year ) simply because his triple axel is far more consistent. Alas, he is injured.

Agreed~ I am very curious how much Balde progresses this season, it's so unfortunate that he's injured during this transition period.

I am delighted to see Kevin heading to the right direction this season, keep going:clap: But if he is appointed to the JW again, I am going to shout out for him: noooooooooooo, again!? It's the FIFTH time already!!!:laugh:

crawall

Rinkside
If anyone is going to at SR Ladies SP and would like to post scores/comments, desperate aunt in Europe will be waiting with baited breath!
Good luck to everyone...

Skatie

On the Ice
I only saw a few of Sr girls - Nicole Watt was a standout of the three that I saw. She landed great jumps and had a lovely presence. Unfortunately Kelsey McNeil's jumps eluded her - fell on one and popped another - but she looked great in warmup.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Senior Ladies SP results (jumps for top 10 from the protocols): http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2010/east_west/rs3.pdf
1 M Samson 53.34 - 3Lz+2Lo (-0.80 GOE), 2A, 3F
2 V Sauriol 52.04 - 3T (+1), 3S+2T, 2A
3 M Leung 51.44 - 3Lz+2Lo, 2A, 3F
4 A DeSanctis 50.56 - 3S+2T, 3Lz (-0.80), 2A
5 K Charbonneau 49.38 - 3Lz< (fall), 3T+2T, 2A
6 D-B Favot 46.88 - 3Lo+2T, 3S, 2A
7 R McCulloch-Casarsa 46.66 - 3T+2T, 3S, 2A
8 K Kang 46.64 - 3Lz (fall), 3S+2T, 2A
9 E Scherrer 45.26 - 3Lo (-2.60), 3T+2T, 2A
10 R Gendron 44.52 - 3T+2T, 3S (-1), 2A
11 K Bell 44.52
12 D Daniel 44.28
13 N Watt 42.26
14 A Najarro 41.84
15 M Crawford 41.76
16 I Valiquette 41.74
17 V Grenier 40.94
18 G A Cormier 40.48
19 A Hill 38.26
20 S Jourdain 38.16
21 P Lawrence 35.18
22 A C Bergeron-Oliver 34.80
23 A Chong 33.84
24 V Juteau 33.70
25 L Cowley 33.04
26 J Remillard 32.92
27 K McNeil 32.78
28 A Demello 32.28
29 C Little 31.84
30 M-C Grenier 31.76
31 J Brodeur 31.50
32 L Woodcock 30.72
33 S Marotta 30.24
34 K Caissy 29.62
35 C Witkowski 29.38
36 L Makeeva 28.66
37 S Rude 23.56
WD J-A Sergeant
WD N Hunter
WD R Inoda
Link to the detailed protocols

Senior Dance results (after OD): http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2010/east_west/rs7.pdf

Junior Dance Final standings: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2010/east_west/rs16.pdf
Top 5:
Paul/Islam 163.18
Martins/Chau 146.43
Orford/Rohon-O'Halloran 142.58
Carswell/Doleman 139.75
Poulin/Servant 138.68

Junior Men (after SP): http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/results/2010/east_west/rs10.pdf
Top 6:
Liam Firus 57.31 - 3T+3T (+1.20), 3F, 2A
Samuel Morais 49.84 - 3Lz+3T (-0.80), 3F! (-0.60), 2A (-0.48)
Nam Nguyen 49.71 - 3S+3T (-0.20), 3F (-0.80), 2A (-1.60)
Patrick Myzyk 48.97 - 3Lz+2T (+0.60), 2A (+0.60), 2F
Garrett Gosselin 48.02 - 3T+2T, 2F, 2A (-0.32)
Shaquille Davis 47.84 - 3Lz+3T (-1.00), 3A (-2.80), 3F (-2.20)

skatingbc

Final Flight
Sooo...my mum is in Mississauga and she said that Liam did not have a good long, but stayed in 2nd (3rd in long). NAM WON!! She said he did a 6 or 7 triple program. He could be on his way to his fourth national championship in a row!!!

i love to skate

Medalist
Sooo...my mum is in Mississauga and she said that Liam did not have a good long, but stayed in 2nd (3rd in long). NAM WON!! She said he did a 6 or 7 triple program. He could be on his way to his fourth national championship in a row!!!

What?! He won? That is fantastic! :rock:

margiemo

Rinkside
Just looking at the results from challenge Kathryn Kang was 15th does she not qualify for nationals?

nadster

Final Flight
Just looking at the results from challenge Kathryn Kang was 15th does she not qualify for nationals?

Only the top 14 ladies at the challenge qualify for nationals as there are 4 byed skaters ( Rochette, Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett ) and Skate Canada does not allow more than 18 ladies to compete at nationals.

So Kang misses nationals. Hardly a surprise since she is capable of completely imploding in competition.

Kypma

Final Flight
Only the top 14 ladies at the challenge qualify for nationals as there are 4 byed skaters ( Rochette, Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett ) and Skate Canada does not allow more than 18 ladies to compete at nationals.

So Kang misses nationals. Hardly a surprise since she is capable of completely imploding in competition.

At the same time, it's quite a surprise when you consider she was 5th at least year's Nationals. Proves her inconsistency, though, but that's still quite drastic...